• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dianedenver

dianedenver

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

I received my Residente Permanent Visa Last week.  They kept the form (bottom half) that you fill out at the airport.  I was told you just fly out and show them your new Permanent Visa.  Is this correct?  I am flying out of Merida for a quick trip on Dec 31st.  It sure seems like they would want some paperwork, but this is my first time flying with the Permanent Visa.  I was also told I no longer need to fill out the immigration form upon arriving by air and I could use the local arrival line and by-pass the tourist entry.  All of this info came from the Merida Immigration Office.  It seems so simple but it just doesn't seem right.

#2 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Dianne..Now that you are Permanente you still have to fill out the same FMM form. The difference is that now you fill it out when leaving the country and have INM at the airport stamp it. Then you give half of it to the ticket agents when you get your boarding pass. You keep the other half and hand it in when returning to Mexico. At both ends you will have to show your passport and residency card also.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#3 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

Dave is correct

Also in most cases you still have to go in the foreigners line.  There are some agents who may allow you into the Mexicanos line if you ask.  Depends on the flight, the foreigners line may be shorter

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#4 dianedenver

dianedenver

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

Dave .. So the FMM do they give that to me at the airport here in Merida before I check in?..In Merida airport there is a designated place to pick up the form?  Sounds like I need the stamped form before I get in line for my American flight to Dallas.

#5 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

Yes...You have to go to the immigration desk and get that FMM form, fill it out, then give it back to the immigration official along with your residency card and passport and get it stamped.

HINT...If you know someone who has extras of the form, you can fill it out at home before you head to the airport, but you still have to present it to the immigration officer and get it stamped before you can get your boarding pass. We have extras of the forms that we have collected from airline attendants on planes and from kind immigration officers in the past. Being able to fill out the form at the table at home is just a little less stressful than having to do it at the airport.

Another hint....You fill out the bottom half when leaving Mexico kinda as if you are a citizen. The bottom half is what the airline folks will take from you. Make sure you retain the top half for your return flight. That top half is all you need to fill out for your re-entry into Mexico. DO NOT fill out a new form that the flight attendants hand out on your return flight. Take one or two and save them for future trips.

(Everything is the opposite to what you would have done as a tourist) 

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#6 dianedenver

dianedenver

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

Thank you ALL for your responses.  I had visions of being sent back to my house in Merida.. Since I'm flying out New Years eve  I figured I'd probably get low seniority staff... Thanks again !!!!

#7 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:23 AM

Thanks Chuck and Dave. I have not flown since I got my permanent visa either and was unsure of the steps needed.

#8 HenryVG

HenryVG

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

My experience going in and out by car varied. In Chetumal we filled out FMMs just like above. In Laredo, they just looked at our cards and stamped.our passports. No idea the difference. I didn't ask, being too busy smiling and nodding my head.

OK, I really just wanted to get that "other" topic off the front page.

#9 sakpah

sakpah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Regardless of the nuances in procedure at a particular port of entry, legal residents need to check out with immigration before leaving the country. Be sure to allow enough time for this when you fly out, especially in Cancun.

Once you naturalize, you just show both passports at the airline check in counter, and the airline will give you a statistics form to fill out as a Mexican.

#10 dianedenver

dianedenver

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Just an update..   How to get your immigration form stamped in Cancun.   On Thursday I flew out of Cancun terminal #4 (1st time as a resident permanente thru Cancun).. I know terminal #4 was Southwest, Frontier Airline and Interjet as well as many others.  After you enter the terminal you go to the farthest  wall, down by the escalator that leads up to departures. On the main floor you will see an opening with a Red Cross medical emblem, another emblem looks like a police man.  There are no signs no information ( I was told this terminal has been open for a few weeks)  Go thru the opening with the two little signs... bear to the left... You will see a little glass enclosed window area.there is  no sign ... this is immigrations...  I had my form filled out already.  If you need a form they have them and there is a counter area for you to fill out your form..  They stamp the top/bottom of the form hand it back.  I walked over to southwest airlines,  they attached the bottom half to my boarding pass.. The top half you use for reentry.  I asked for extra forms for next trip they would only give me 1 form.  It was very easy and uneventful..  Just remember to get your form stamped before you get in line to check bags or boarding pass.

#11 bk85

bk85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

Can you use the form that is now available online?

https://www.mexicotouristcard.com/

#12 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Dianedenver I flew out of Terminal 4 on Thursday as well (Westjet). The area where INM is actually has a sign that says "Autoridades". The INM counter isn't signed though, as you said.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users