#1 Mochileo

Mochileo

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Hey guys !
Que onda ?!
Ok I need some help here or a big service from one of you...

I'm travelling in central america with my girlfriend and I'm know in Merida.
We would like to buy an old and cheap combi volkswagen to head up to america.
Our issue is that as a stranger with FMM1 we need and adress in Mexico...

So our only solution is that somebody living here could sign us a letter saying that we live in his home and give us a copy of a water or electricity bill with his name and adress and a copy of his ID !

I know I'm asking a lot here but it seem to be our only solution. If anybody can help us it would be awesome.

Thank you so much for reading me =)
See you soon I hope !
Regards,
Leo

#2 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

I suspect it would be cheaper and safer to take the bus. You don't want to be traveling in an old combi as far as you are planning to go. What would you do if your vehicle breaks down? You could probably get both of you to the border on the bus for just the amount of money you'll have to pay in car insurance when you purchase the vehicle. Better safe than sorry. 

#3 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

"So our only solution is that somebody living here could sign us a letter saying that we live in his home and give us a copy of a water or electricity bill with his name and adress and a copy of his ID !"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry Leo, but that is not a solution. In order to buy AND license a vehicle in your name you have to have a residente temporal or residente permanente visa. An FMM tourist visa won't work. You might be able to have someone local buy a vehicle and let you drive it but then there is the aspect of who is going to be the person that insures the vehicle and who is, ultimately, on the hook in case of an accident? Personally,I sure wouldn't do it. Not even for someone I knew. Way too much of a financial risk.

Yucatan has some of the strictest vehicle registrations in all of Mexico.

And as Khaki mentions, it would be cheaper to use the excellent bus system.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#4 ELNIDO

ELNIDO

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

So our only solution is that somebody living here could sign us a letter saying that we live in his home and give us a copy of a water or electricity bill with his name and adress and a copy of his ID !
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Leo, I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind would give a complete stranger a copy of their ID (are you kidding me?), a copy of their utility bill (a powerful document in Mexico), and flat out lie (in writing even!).

I agree with Khaki and Dave. Take the bus.

#5 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Leo, I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind would give a complete stranger a copy of their ID...

Maybe he's laboring under the popular illusion that people who leave the comfort and security of their native country to go live in Barbaric Mexico, must be missing a marble or three... :P

#6 ELNIDO

ELNIDO

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Or that we've never heard of identity theft.

#7 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

"travelling in central america"? Mexico is actually in North America!  

So I take it you are coming to Mexico and want to buy a car in Mexico then travel on to the US.

You can buy a car in Mexico without any IDs and if the plates are current drive it on to the US.

You can even insure it, you just can get it registered in your name without required IDs.

So what is the problem?

#8 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

I agree that many people do buy cars and insure them and drive them in Mexico without ever changing ownership. (I know a few, personally, that have and are currently doing so) I have always wondered what would happen if they were involved in a serious, possibly fatal accident? (Could the insurance company deny liability since the vehicle is not licensed to the person on the insurance policy?) This year is the one that will force people to either get legal or get rid of their cars. Those old Yucatan plates will soon be a huge "signal" that something is wrong with the legality of the ownership of the vehicle.

The fact that "it can be done" doesn't make it right.

Just my humble opinion.  

Driving Through Mexico

#9 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

I know for a fact it is a normal practice here, and was verified as OK by two policemen.

(As I involved them in the search for the last car I bought here.)

And I collected insurance on a car that I insured but was not registered in my name here Dave!

#10 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

And I collected insurance on a car that I insured but was not registered in my name here Dave!

You I would not doubt but the concept really puzzles me; was the policy for you as a driver, or the car? Was the actual owner information even listed on the policy?

#11 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Just the year, make and vin number.

#12 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Just the year, make and vin number.

Gee... offhand I can't figure out why it would matter who the owner is in order to insure it, but I'm still surprised.  Learn something every day...

#13 mlpatari

mlpatari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:46 AM

This looks like a good place to ask a couple questions concerning purchasing a new car in the Yucatan once we arrive and settle in to our new home. We will have our residente permanente stamp, and will start the visa process shortly after arriving in July. 

Do we need to wait for our visa process to be completed before buying a car?

Do we need a Mexican drivers license before buying?

Thanks!

#14 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

You do not need a Mexican drivers license.

#15 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

You can buy a car before getting the residency visa but you can not get it transfered into your name and get it plated until after you receive the residency card.

Driving Through Mexico

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: car, adress, merida, fmm1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users