16 replies to this topic

#1 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:14 PM

I don´t know whether it´s possible to put something in a lease to protect against 

tenants who won´t use a sprinkler system (or a hose very often at all).  I´ve had a lot 

of financial damage, time consumed and stress over a large landscaped property 

I rented for only a few months during the dry season.

The gardener had the right to water weekly, which he did. However, it seems 

there was nothing to force the tenants to turn on the sprinkler.  I had a property 

manager write up the contract and manage the property.  I was shocked to see 

the damage to the greenery after the tenants left. She said she asked the tenants 

to water, but apparently there is no way to force them.  A rent deposit only goes 

so far...

Maybe I´m not hearing the whole story. Maybe the pump failed and the property 

manager didn´t get it repaired.

If you´re considering renting your beloved lush property over the dry season, 

please try to find a way to protect yourself.  Of course having a timer on 

the irrigation system might help.  I never would´ve predicted this would 

happen, especially with a property manager.

#2 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

Easy solution......  you have to have the gardener water every day!

#3 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

That´s a thought, thanks, but many tenants might find a daily visit to be obtrusive.

#4 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:26 AM

A timer sounds like a perfect solution... but I would still have the gardener come by at least twice a week - just to check and make sure... and, if there are extreme weather events, he should be able to come immediately. 

Plus - is there a gate into the property so that he doesn't have to come through the house? That might help keep his visits from becoming obtrusive. 

#5 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:17 PM

A timer sounds like a perfect solution... but I would still have the gardener come by at least twice a week - just to check and make sure... and, if there are extreme weather events, he should be able to come immediately. 

Plus - is there a gate into the property so that he doesn't have to come through the house? That might help keep his visits from becoming obtrusivW

We are definitely getting a timer, thanks Khaki.  The gardener could go through the laundry room to the timer and back yard, without having access to the rest of the house.

#6 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

A timer works as long as power isn't interrupted. Best bet is your gardener.

Saludos

And now we are into a more moist season. Things are greening up around the Yucatan.

#7 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for your thoughts people !

#8 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

My question is whether you are marketing your property as a vacation rental or as a long term home? If it's a vacation rental it's not reasonable to expect tenants to take care of your garden. If they're on vacation, they're not living there and have a vacationers frame of mind. Best bet is to put your sprinklers on a timer.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#9 TravellingRae

TravellingRae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

My question is whether you are marketing your property as a vacation rental or as a long term home? If it's a vacation rental it's not reasonable to expect tenants to take care of your garden. If they're on vacation, they're not living there and have a vacationers frame of mind. Best bet is to put your sprinklers on a timer.

I'd agree with that. If you have long-term tenants, though, the upkeep could be part of the lease and there would need be a definite offset on the rent (ie. gardening services are worth so much and that amount comes off the price of the rent). If I was a tenant, I'd be tired of a gardener coming into the house every day and that would be motivation enough for me to do the work myself!

If you want to come back to your home looking exactly like when you left it, you might want to consider going with housesitters next time rather than tenants. I've been housesitting for about a year now (10 months in Europe and currently doing a six-month stint here while I househunt) and you have a lot more control with housesitters and are much more likely to get people who will treat living in your home as a job. I've always done a straight up exchange of my gardening and pet minding services in exchange for free rent, but if you don't have pets, you may be able to find housekeepers who are willing to come stay for deeply discounted rent that covers your expenses there only in exchange for staying on top of the gardening and other chores.

I can provide resources for finding a qualified housesitter if you want to look into it. I don't make any money from this, nor am I advertising my own services. I just thought you might need a better option. Good luck!

#10 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

IF the plants are outside, how is the gardener watering them obtrusive?

​And if he does it early in the morning chances are they won't even know he was there!

​A timer would work except we have multiple power failures here (even if they are just for a minute or so) so NOT totally reliable.

#11 TravellingRae

TravellingRae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

IF the plants are outside, how is the gardener watering them obtrusive?

The owner of the house said somewhere in this thread that the gardener has to go through the house via the laundry room to access the garden.

#12 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:15 PM

​A timer would work except we have multiple power failures here (even if they are just for a minute or so) so NOT totally reliable.

I just did a quick Amazon search for "watering timers" and a bunch of them are battery-run...

I never would´ve predicted this would happen, especially with a property manager.

After re-reading the whole thread, I have to ask what it is that the property [edit: add MANAGER] DOES for you, if
this slipped through...?

#13 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Thanks so much for your thoughts people !! I rent the house to long term tenants.  Fortunately, my brand 

new property managers (who so far are much better than my previous manager) knew enough to get a 

timer.  I´m glad to hear there are battery operated timers, so I think with a once a week gardener, a 

timer and a good lease, I will be OK. 

I hope this thread has been informative to others besides myself.

#14 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

PaulBe, the property manager you had who let your greenery dry out was awful to you. Yet, there are raves about her on Facebook.  It´s a shame there don´t seem to be any rules for property managers.

#15 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

PaulBe, the property manager you had who let your greenery dry out was awful to you. Yet, there are raves about her on Facebook.  It´s a shame there don´t seem to be any rules for property managers.

---------------------------

PaulBe why are you responding to yourself???

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#16 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

---------------------------

PaulBe why are you responding to yourself???

That looks crazy doesn´t it ?   My friend responded but didn´t explain it was her !  :)     As for the gardener going through the laundry room, the doors can be locked so that he can´t access any other part of the house.

#17 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

By the way, there was a stipulation in the lease that the tenants water the lawn. The problem was my property manager bore false witness against me, saying the lawn was dry to start with.  She got her gardener to say that also.  Interestingly the property management firm advertises a preventative maintenance program ! She had 3 people a week working at the house: "another set of eyes". I was in town, but she didn`t inform me of the problem. In the end, she sided with the tenants.  Perhaps it was something to do with getting good AirBnB feedback. I am much happier with Carlos Betancourt and Liz Marmalejo as property managers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rent, tenant, damage deposit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users