• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jodiefil

Jodiefil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

Drove my beloved 2007 Toyota Highlander from Denver to Chelem and she ran like a trooper! However, now it's time for an oil and filter change and a couple of other maintenance things. Is there anyone here in the Chelem/Progreso area that folks could recommend, or am I better off taking the car to a Toyota dealer in Mèrida? Also, are repair prices crazy expensive like they are NOB?

#2 TravellingRae

TravellingRae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

I got a recommendation for Juan Castro in Chelem when I had some problems with my truck in May and I was very happy with the service. He's behind the Willy's in Chelem. Take the divided road that leads to the river, the first left, and he's on the left. I don't know if he speaks English, though.

Having an older truck with very common parts, I find that vehicle maintenance here is super cheap because of the low cost of labour. Oil changes are pretty pricy, though, because of the cause of oil here. "Pricy" is relative though. I pay 120CAD for one in Canada for my Ford Ranger and I've never paid more than 800 pesos here (about 60CAD).

But maintenance items have been much cheaper than NOB. I had a complete brake job done in Mazatlán for 4,000 pesos (would have been four times that price in Canada) and the repair Juan did only cost me 300 pesos. I've even had tire guys fix a slow leak in exchange for a cold Coke!

Your experience could differ depending on how common your vehicle is here, the availability of parts, the amount of electronics, etc. But with a Toyota, I can't imagine you being anything other than pleasantly surprised.

#3 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

I paid 500 pesos for my last oil change, including the oil and filter. 800 is a lot. I have another one due in a month so I'll see if the price has gone up that much

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#4 TravellingRae

TravellingRae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

I paid 500 pesos for my last oil change, including the oil and filter. 800 is a lot. I have another one due in a month so I'll see if the price has gone up that much

This was in Mazatlán, not here. What sort of vehicle do you have? An oil change on a car is obviously a lot less than on a small truck since less oil is needed and the oil is what drives up the price of this particular service.

#5 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

I always provide my own filter and oil and the cost for labour is usually 50-75 pesos.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users