• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hello all, we are traveling to Merida in a couple of weeks, staying very close to Plaza de Armas for a visit of about 7 days. My wife and I are getting to the age where we are traveling around to find someplace nice to retire. We are interested in knowing a couple of things if anyone might have any suggestions:

1. I have a car rental through Budget right now but I have read that there is a very good company in Merida who rents and they are very good to their customers if there are any issues. Would anyone have any suggestions? I read on one of the forums about this company but I didn't write it down when I read about it and now I cannot find it.

2. Any must see's when we are there? Things that we would be very sorry for missing.

3. I really don't have any questions about crime or anything like that since we do travel a lot we are aware of the musts of being a traveler.

4. We are fluent in Spanish so we are not concerned with that aspect either.

5. We might want to look at some investment properties while we are there and if we do does anyone have any good honest brokers or agents they can suggest?

6. Any good birding experiences to be had there? I know that there are a fantastic amount of birds but any region that is a must for a birder?

7. Anything I am neglecting to ask? I am trying to get up to speed on this forum but time isn't my friend right now so I am trying to do as much as I can in the short amount of time I can alot myself to research.

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions any one might be able to throw out. We are staying very close to Plaza de Armas and will have a car.

Regards,

Ed

Regards,

Ed O.

~A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. -Joan Anglund-

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

Google "backyard birding in Merida" and you will find a whole series of these: http://www.theyucata...e-gray-tanager/

Jeff and Elizabeth Stacy are great realtors http://yucatanbeacha...typroperty.com/

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#3 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Re, birds -- check out Naturalist Jim's newsletters and  web page -- here's a link to the bird page.  Each article discusses a bird, and gives information about where/when it was seen.  As a resource, Howell & Webb's A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America is excellent.

This time of year, because there's been a lot of rain, birds may be hard to spot.  You can check out some of the archaeological sites, such as Dzibichaltun or Xcambo, where there are open spaces edged by forest, and some of the sites discussed in the Yucatan Times series that Chuck cited above.  Obviously early morning is the best time (due to heat).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users