6 replies to this topic

#1 kwilliams

kwilliams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Hi All,

I've spent hours educating myself on the proper procedure of bringing our dog and I am hoping you can answer my few remaining questions:

1.  We plan to cross in Laredo.  Where do we "declare" that we have a dog?  Is it in the customs portion of the process or do we have to go to a separate place?  (For example, I know for the car we will have to go to Banjercito).  

2.  Does our dog need to be in a crate?  A few websites mention this as a requirement.  To me it seems this should only apply if you are flying with your dog, but the websites never specify.  So, can our dog just be hanging out in the back seat of the car?

3.  Are we allowed to bring enough dog food to last us the few days drive?  I know normally you are not allowed to import food that is not factory packaged.  Would an unopened bag of dog food be ok?

4.  Can you confirm that the health certificate does not need to be translated into Spanish and does not need to be notarized?

Thank you all so much,

Kris 

#2 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

I followed customs folks around for decades trying to get them to look at my "dog papers"... they thought I was hilarious and nobody ever looked at my dog papers. I traveled with 3 dogs and a cat - and one of the dogs weighed 118 lbs, so its not like I could "hide" him to sneak him into Mexico. Every one of those animals lived in Yucatan 3 different times (and finally died of old age) and never once did anybody look at their papers. 

BUT - I followed all of the rules... had every piece of paper they could possibly have wanted... just in case I was the first expat driving into Mexico in the history of the universe who needed dog papers. I did "skip it" on the way out once... had sick folks at home and really didn't have time for the pretense. I needed to be on the road and gone! 

and flying is a whole nuther story... I never did it, but you really DO have to have your papers in order for flying pets into Mexico.

#3 YUCARICHY

YUCARICHY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

We came in to Mexico twice coming in at Laredo. Both times nothing was said or asked about the dogs there.

But on the second time ,driving back to the states, we were stopped and shaken down at the Tabasco state border. The soldiers with big guns

stopped us, and claimed our vicious dogs in the back seat had to be restrained in dog kennels.

My French bulldog puppies surely would have licked them to death.They just used any excuse to get money.

We didn't believe we made a so called infraction, but just paid them off to be on our way, We wanted to make it to Puebla by dark.

#4 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

But on the second time ,driving back to the states, we were stopped and shaken down at the Tabasco state border. ..... They just used any excuse to get money.

=============================

Actually, I think just having a man in the car is a liability for this sort of thing. I've been stopped goo-gobs of times (sometimes guilty as sin) and never once asked for money. Women can get away with "not understanding" what they want. I think they expect men to have a brain. If that's the way they want to roll in the 21st century... fine with me.  

But - being extra polite also has an effect. A gringa who has since moved back NOB couldn't leave her house even to go to the grocery store in Merida without it costing her $200 pesos, while I was never stopped in the city at all. I tried to tell her that behavior and attitude have consequences, but she didn't want to hear it. Needless to say, she doesn't live in Mexico anymore.

#5 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

I also have used the Laredo site.  I would say we've crossed there at least 10 times and nobody cared about our large (wolf look alike) dog.  So for the last three years we've not bothered with dog papers either for MX or US.

As for the soldiers, sounds like they wanted you to buy lunch.

#6 HenryVG

HenryVG

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

We've crossed twice at Laredo. 

1. Go through Google Street View to acquaint yourself with how to get to Immigration and pick up your TIP. It's NOT obvious.

2. Get your papers, you'll have your dog getting rabies shots anyway, so just have the Vet do up a certificate. I wouldn't bother with translation.

3. Aduana is a ways down the road after you leave Nuevo Laredo. That's where they'd check on papers for the dogs.

If your experience is the same as everyone else, no one will care about your well-kept, well-fed pet.

I, also,  was stopped by the Tabasco guys.  MY terrible infraction was having my 20 lb cockapoo in the passenger seat. She sits up on her 4 chair cushions like a queen. But it was a "very serious infraction". "$1000 pesos". I offered to put her in the back seat, now that the officer had informed me, but I had "already committed the infraction". Gee, I said, where do I pay this? Oh, all the way back to Ciudad del Carmen. But I could pay him and he could pay it for me.....Well, since he had my license in his hand (actually, he had a laminated color copy of my license...) I asked if I could just turn around there and go back and pay it, [adjust dashcam]. 

He gave me back the (fake) license and sent me on my way. I figured I could get a ticket and lose one of my license copies, or he could pass me through. Just another Auh Shucks Gringo passing through Tabasco...

OK, I really just wanted to get that "other" topic off the front page.

#7 kwilliams

kwilliams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

Haha, love the "adjust dashcam" trick.  Thanks everyone for reassuring me about the process!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users