#1 bk85

bk85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

A couple of questions regarding rentals in Merida

Will I have any problem doing a long term rental while only having a tourist visa?   Any restrictions on that?

And after choosing a rental, what is an average amount of time to take possession of the property given you have all the paperwork in order.     Is it days or weeks?

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

No visa necessary. The length of time is completely up to the landlord. You could rent from us starting tomorrow, if we had a vacancy. Others may not be as quick.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#3 bk85

bk85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

Thanks Chuck.

#4 bk85

bk85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Did anyone see this article in Yucatan Times?     About “tourist” 180 day Visitante visas.  Looks like they are cracking down on turnaround flights just to renew your 180 day permit.

http://www.theyucata...d-local-income/

#5 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

Did anyone see this article in Yucatan Times? About “tourist” 180 day Visitante visas. Looks like they are cracking down on turnaround flights just to renew your 180 day permit.

http://www.theyucata...d-local-income/

"they were then asked to step into the interrogation room and to hand over their phone and laptop, along with the password for their email." :blink:

I have trouble wrapping my head around this one. In Mexico?! :o

#6 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

I think it's a backlash against the US, but I have no issue with Mexico cracking down on illegal immigration.  This will happen more often as their computer systems link up and they will be able to spot the serial offenders

#7 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

FYI -- the Yucatan Times article was reprinted (with attribution) from Yucalandia -- the website of the former Yolisto member known as ''Wiz''.  The anecdote about the interrogation room, having to give up the laptop and password, sounds a bit suspect -- mostly because no information is provided about WHERE this occurred, what forum the anecdote was reported in, etc.  I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear someone citing ''many reports'', without offering numbers, and citing anonymous anecdotes as supporting evidence.  That said, it may well be true that INM is generally cracking down on misuse of visitor permits, and it is true that SAT (tax people) are cracking down on people who rent out apartments or houses (report published in the Diario, with statements by SAT officials), this really is nothing new.  If you rent out a property, you should be paying income tax (if owed), and also be sure that the trust agreement with the bank (fideicomiso) allows this.

#8 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

...and citing anonymous anecdotes as supporting evidence...

I've tried to find the origin of this rumor without luck so far. It's on at least 8 different sites, most of them attributing it to Yucalandia, who claims it came from a mysterious unnamed "popular expat forum". Mexfiles.net is the only one similarly claiming it came from some forum other than Yucalandia.

#9 elpulpofeliz

elpulpofeliz

Long Time Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:51 AM

It is pretty common for the writer of Yucalandia, Steve Fry, to write about things that he WANTS to be news but is not actually news. He likes to stir the pot occasionally just to stir the pot. 

#10 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

It is pretty common for the writer of Yucalandia, Steve Fry, to write about things that he WANTS to be news but is not actually news. He likes to stir the pot occasionally just to stir the pot. 

Hum.  Have you ever known him to simply fabricate stuff?  I am really curious whether that incident of looking into a passenger's email, actually happened.  Seems pretty incongruous with what I've experienced over the years. <_<

#11 elpulpofeliz

elpulpofeliz

Long Time Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Yes.

#12 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

It didn't start with Steve. I saw this on some FB pages before he added it to Yucalandia.

#13 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

It didn't start with Steve. I saw this on some FB pages before he added it to Yucalandia.

Ahhh, you have any idea where? I'd like to find out if this really happened!

#14 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

I can't comment on whether Steve "fabricates" stories or not. I often find information on his website to be useful though. Usually stuff like vehicle licensing or other local information.

As far as the situation of visitors having their laptops and cell phones inspected for information, I have never experienced that in travels to the USA nor Mexico. However, with the ongoing and inevitable "sharing" of information between INM, Aduana and SAT in Mexico, I tend to believe that it is quite possible that it occurred.

When I drive to the USA from Canada and then return to Canada, the Canadian border official asks me how long I have been out of the country. All the while looking at his computer screen because he already knows the answer and wants to see if I will tell the truth. If Canada and USA share cross border information, why wouldn't Mexico do the same? And if someone is taking advantage of a "grey area" loophole why wouldn't they check it out? (By "grey area", I mean that obtaining a 180 day tourist permit is completely legal and can be done year after year but the "intent" is that a person would do it for tourist travel rather than living in Mexico permanently) 

The times are changing.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#15 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

The times are changing.

They are. And at this point it seems possible that this could have happened. But posting a questionable experience like that without attributing sources, is pushing credibility.

#16 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

I agree about attributing sources...We'll be arriving by air in 3 weeks...I'll give you first hand info if we get "questioned"!  :D 

I doubt we will though, since we are permanent residents.

My comments about arriving might probably be concerning the exorbitant prices for drinks at the Cancun airport while we are waiting for the ADO bus to Merida !!!!!  :P 

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#17 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Lencho -- I wouldn't like to think that Yucalandia (aka Steve) fabricates information, but it does seem that he likes to announce that the sky is falling if an acorn hits him on the head (or if he reads in a forum that someone else has been hit by an acorn).  Anything can be posted on a forum, and I suspect that while many or most of the ancedotes posted are ''true'', they are probably not the whole story.  In this case, the part about the SAT (or Aduana) personnel going through a visitor's e-mails, while sitting in an ''interrogation room'' seems questionable -- perhaps there were other factors that we don't know about (because they weren't mentioned in whatever forum post the original report came from). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: renting, visa, long term

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users