• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steveh2112

steveh2112

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

hi all, there must be some info out there somewhere but i've yet to find it. i'd like to get an overview of expat locations in the Yucatan please.

i've read a bit about Merida, Progreso, Playa del Carmen (ok, not technically Yucatan). anything else i've missed?

i'm looking for a place to semi retire, snow bird thing, as i still work in the summer months in the US and UK. i've been in Thailand for many years already but ready to leave.

i'm happy with a relatively simple life, don't need big, fancy aircon house on the beach, happy with 1 bedroom place and a fan. i do like to socialize with other expats a bit and my Spanish needs a lot of work, but i don't need to transplant my life in socal or UK to mexico. i do like having good access to western stuff like food and beer, which is one reason i'm kind of crossing Belize off my list of expat places. having said that, i pretty much live on mexican food in cali anyhow, so i'm sure i'll be ok with the local food. i like nature and would like to be close to nice places to take nature walks.

i guess the big thing for me is the expat community. i'm late 50's, computer programmer, English but US naturalized citizen. here in Thailand, my expat buddies are quite a bit older than me and their only interest are Australian sports and complaining about Thailand. i'd like to find people closer to my age and background.

any thoughts about locations i should hang out?

thanks, steve.

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

They are everywhere and there is no central database you can access. The larger the town, the more there are. Other options would include Celestine, Sisal, Izamal, Motul, Valladolid, Telchac etc. pretty much any town on the coast and larger towns inland have some expats. There are even two in Rio Lagartos

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#3 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

You eat "Mexican" food in California. You dont eat Yucatecan food. Its quite different.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#4 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:05 PM

Joanne IS right about that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users