Photo

Anybody Know How To Get Rid Of A Squatter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

This was posted in Articles by new member Ottalie. I am moving it here. 

Canadian Squatter in my Barra de Navidad home for over 2 years!!

My brother committed suicide in July of 2015 and his Canadian girlfriend has since refused to leave the home. I'm working with an attorney specializing in US & Mexican law but am frustrated to say the least. Is there any way to get someone out of your house? It is now Sept. 2017. This is in Barra de Navidad and I live in the US.
Help!!
Ottalie 

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Is your attorney in Barra de Navidad? You say he also specializes in US law, but that would be entirely irrelevant in this case. If he lives in the US, get a lawyer who lives in town.

If all of your ownership documents are in place, they can work with the local police and move here. Or work with her and get an alternate place. The tenent of a house we wanted to buy wouldn’t move and our lawyer was able to find him other suitable accommodation and a bit of cash.

I believe one of the key things is that you need to prove that you own the place

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#3 rcgntulsa2

rcgntulsa2

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

"I believe one of the key things is that you need to prove that you own the place"

And that could be a real issue -- depending on wills (was there one) and how that property was/is owned (corporation, fideicomiso?), who does actually own the place and how clear, under MEXICAN law, is that ownership right now?  I wonder if the girlfriend is asserting ownership rights?

If the girlfriend is NOT trying to claim ownership, but is just refusing to leave, depending on the value of the property, it could be more PRACTICAL (even if very frustrating) to try to buy her exit, rather than forcing the exit).

Definitely be sure you're working with a good LOCAL attorney there in Barra de Navidad.  And don't expect anything to happen quickly.

#4 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Is it true that it`s easier to evict foreigners than Mexicans ?  I am not sure whether "evicting" a squatter has anything in common with evicting a deadbeat tenant. Maybe some one here knows ? Good luck on getting her out !

#5 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

Foreigners can be deported if their immigration status is not current. But that wouldn’t necessarily make it easier. It’s still a legal process

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users