Photo

Stone For Table Top.. Where Is The Quarry?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dianedenver

dianedenver

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

About 7 years ago I too the back road to Merida out of Chuburana.  I got so lost and turned around.. I eventually ended up at a place that manufactured the local stone. I think there were 2 of them almost across the street from each other.  Any one have directions to the quarries?  I'm up for an adventure!  I'm willing to fill the car up pack a lunch and explore until I find it again  :D

#2 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

There are 2 right off the main highway to/from Merida/Progreso!  One on the east side just north of the Flamboyanes exit.

And one on the west side farther south (you can see the big rock pile from the highway).

So you won't need a full tank of gas......

#3 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

You'll find all you need in the city od Dzitia, only miles outside of 'Merida.

https://en-yucatan.c...yucatan/dzitya/

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#4 dianedenver

dianedenver

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Thank you both for your responses.. I ended up going to Dzitya .. I wanted a small slab for a table top.

my piece was 71 x 43 cm of the local macedonia stone for $610

I found this place:

MG Stones

C14 # 124  X 21 Y 23

#5 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

C14 # 124  X 21 Y 23

I continue (probably foolishly) trying to figure out the logic of adresses: does that #124 have ANY relationship to the numbering of the cross streets?

#6 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

124 is the house number. NOB it would be written 124 14th Street. The cross streets are provided so you know what block the house is in. Houses are usually but not always in numerical order.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#7 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

124 is the house number. NOB it would be written 124 14th Street. The cross streets are provided so you know what block the house is in. Houses are usually but not always in numerical order.

Thanks for the background; all this I already knew, but perhaps I was not clear in the question:

If the house is between 21 and 23 in a logically-laid-out grid, why on earth is the number 124, rather than something correlated to the cross streets, for example "220" if it were half way up the block...?

Anybody know if the numeric street name system came AFTER the original house numbers were assigned?

#8 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

I have never considered that question before Lencho. It would be quite logical for sure. But TIM, of course.

Back in Canada I have always lived in cities and towns where streets had names instead of numbers so the actual house numbers didn't have to correspond to cross streets.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#9 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the background; all this I already knew, but perhaps I was not clear in the question:

If the house is between 21 and 23 in a logically-laid-out grid, why on earth is the number 124, rather than something correlated to the cross streets, for example "220" if it were half way up the block...?

Anybody know if the numeric street name system came AFTER the original house numbers were assigned?

I wouldn't try to understand how the street numbers and names work if I were you. They often change depending in what part of the city or town you're in.

#10 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

The house numbers were assigned when the original lots were sold and occupied. Thus, No 124 could be beside No. 326 and No. 126 in the next block. Thats why the address has to specify I.e. x 21 y 25, the block the number is in

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#11 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

I wouldn't try to understand how the street numbers and names work if I were you. They often change depending in what part of the city or town you're in.

I agree.  Till recently I'd never thought about how/why they're numbered so (seemingly) randomly.  Something I'll be exploring more when I run into folks who might know about the historical background.

So Chuck, you think the numbers were just assigned in temporal sequence?

#12 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

I found this article in Spanish on the street names in Merida.http://meridaenlahis...lles-de-merida/

#13 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I found this article in Spanish on the street names in Merida.http://meridaenlahis...lles-de-merida/

Very nice, thanks!  So the numeric system is relatively recent, and houses were originally numbered sequentially without (as far as I can tell from the article) much relationship to distance or topography.  That might explain why there are weird sequences like 123 - 417 - 125; how else do you deal with a case where #123 later gets split into 2 properties?  123 1/2?

Edit: Meaning numeric system (of street names)

#14 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

I regularly see addresses like #123-A and #123-B, probably because a single property has been divided.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#15 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I tend to believe that there were small pueblitas surrounding Merida that became part of the city. They all had their own street names and numbers. which were maintained when they became districts of Merida, some of them now barrios, fraccionamientos and colonias such was the case of Alcalá Martín and Itzimná which became the colonia Miguel Alemán.

Here's another interesting link: http://www.meridadey...merida-yucatan/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users