5 replies to this topic

#1 Chelbelskie

Chelbelskie

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are moving to Merida in April from Phoenix, Arizona. As we are in our late 20s and have chosen not to have children, we recently made a list of all the things we wanted in life - to live somewhere beautiful with a lot of history, to be fluent in another language, to live somewhere by the ocean, and to experience a new culture. After some research, we found that Merida hit all of our desires! We are also Arizona natives so the 120 degree summers here in Phoenix should have prepared us a bit for the extreme heat in Merida.

We both have good working Spanish and we are excited to get better. After looking through a few forums and facebook groups, it looks like a lot of the members of the expat community are retired (I wish) or are able to work from home. I am able to work from home but I am a long way from retired. I also would like to teach, as I have a a master's in English and teaching experience.

We have saved up and are starting the process of moving. We are bringing our sweet pitbull with us. We live pretty simply in America and expect to continue to downsize even more when we move.

This forum and others have already been so helpful - I love that this community already seems so accessible and welcoming! I am excited to finally get to Merida! I will definitely be looking at links for housing, getting around, and finding access to amenities on this forum!

I do have one question right now - does anyone have any tips on how safe it is to drive south down the coast, coming from the border? My husband will be driving himself and our dog while I will fly and meet him in Merida. Any insight would be appreciated!

So nice to meet you all!

#2 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

My insight is, why are you flying and  not accompanying your husband on the trip.  (There are lots of wonderful sites to see on the way to Merida!)

#3 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

I agree with Jim. Why not accompany your husband and enjoy the trip? It is a lot easier to drive with a co-pilot who can act as navigator and lookout for road signs and road hazards. Having driven back and forth a few times, I know how easy it is to get lost in cities and towns, even after having driven through them before. (a comment....Don't trust voice navigation from a GPS....It will send you on all kinds of weird and wonderful side adventures that you probably don't want. Trust a Mexican road atlas and just use the GPS as a way to know where you are and which direction you are heading)  

As far as safety is concerned. It is safe if you drive during daylight and enjoy a hotel at night. Only because there are a lot of topes and potholes and cattle and bicycles and vehicles with no taillights that can present a danger after dark. 

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#4 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

You mention using the coastal route for the drive -- my understanding is that in the last few years most people avoid the coastal route (through Tamaulipas and Veracruz) because of poor road conditions and safety concerns (criminal activity).  Search this forum for recent recommendations on routes, and recent experiences with the inland routes and crossings.

#5 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

The costal route during the rainy season can be troublesome because of flooding.

But it is the most interesting route and we enjoyed it immensely.

#6 Chelbelskie

Chelbelskie

Lurker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

To be honest, I am scared of driving through Mexico. I know that so much of this fear is unfounded, but I still don't want to give my mother a heart attack, she is already so worried that I am moving to a different country!

It's great to hear that experiences driving to Merida have been positive. I have looked around on other posts and learned to not drive at night and to take the toll roads. Any other specifics/tips for someone driving from Phoenix to Merida? Routes?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moving, merida, mexico, driving, expat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users