• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

This question is for a neighbor lady (Canadian) who's on a tourist visa,  that went to the IMN office to see about getting a more permanent VISA.  She made her appt. and when she returned the lady said she has to fill out the forms and apply thru an Embassy outside  MX?

She has already bought a place here and would like to make it full time here.

#2 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

That is the procedure these day. All applications for a residency visa MUST be started and approved at a Mexican consulate in the person's country of citizenship.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#3 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

That is correct.  All Canadian applications for residency have to be made at a Mexican Embassy in Canada.  Once they start the process in Canada and are approved, they have 180 days to return to Mexico.  Once in Mexico, that have 30 days to see INM to get the documents finalized and the card issued.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#4 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

There are exceptions........ if you marry a Mexican citizen or even a non Mexican who is already a permanent resident, it can be done here at INM.

#5 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

Just an additional thought. IF the lady drove a vehicle down with a temporary import permit, then she should drive back to Canada and get the vehicle removed from the Aduana system because if she gets a Temporary Residency visa, the vehicle has to be tied to that visa. If she gets a Permanent Residency visa then she will have to legally nationalize it or buy a Mexican vehicle instead.

(Just a thought)

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#6 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

That is the procedure these day. All applications for a residency visa MUST be started and approved at a Mexican consulate in the person's country of citizenship.

----------------------

I believe they can be started in any country other than Mexico

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#7 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

This is what Leon Lajeunesse of the Canadian  Consulate in Playa del Carmen said  

"Regarding the application for residency – yes they have to apply at a Mexican Embassy OR Mexican Consulate and CANNOT do so while in Mexico.  They can apply in Belize, Canada or US."

#8 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

I repeat.... there are exceptions.... if you marry a Mexican citizen or even a non Mexican who is already a permanent resident, it can be done here at INM.  So when it is stated "All applications for a residency visa MUST be started and approved at a Mexican consulate in the person's country of citizenship."  It is incorrect!  I know this for a fact because my wife did it here recently without ever going to any Mexican consulate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users