• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 petertohen

petertohen

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:57 AM

What are the relative benefits and disadvantages of the two statuses above in terms of retaining status in Canada while we still have property in Canada that we may consider renting out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
In effect, what do we lose in Canadian benefits if we gain permanent status in Mexico? Is it possible to have our cake and eat ti too? 

#2 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Residency is a different status than citizenship. If you have a Mexican permanent visa you retain your Canadian citizenship with all it entails. Eventually, you can apply to become a Mexican citizen and still maintain your Canadian citizenship, Canada allowing dual citizenship.

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#3 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

In addition to Jardinero's comments....

If you have the option of choosing, go for permanent. If you choose temporary, you are going to have to switch to permanent 4 or 5 years down the road anyway. That means more visits to INM. Go for permanent and save yourself some time and money.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#4 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

Your Mexican residency status has no bearing on anything in Canada.  However if you live outside of Canada permanently, you may be deemed a non-resident of Canada the CRA.  https://www.canada.c...nts-canada.html

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#5 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Your Mexican residency status has no bearing on anything in Canada.  However if you live outside of Canada permanently, you may be deemed a non-resident of Canada the CRA.  https://www.canada.c...nts-canada.html

There are some exceptions to the general out-of-Canada residency 'more than 183' days restriction. Canadians studying or working outside Canada maintain their public health coverage something which varies from one province to another and requires obtaining their 'approval' in advance.

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#6 HenryVG

HenryVG

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

If you have a non-mexican vehicle, you MUST have a Temporal VISA so the temporary import permit has an expiration date.

If not, Permanente is the way to go. Cheaper, less "touches" by the bureaucracy, etc.

But remember, many people here remember FM2 and FM3(and these had nothing to do with radio stations) visas, so things change...

OK, I really just wanted to get that "other" topic off the front page.

#7 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:12 AM

Henry...Yep we remember the FM2 and FM3 visa booklets. Heading from the beach area to the INM office in Merida was a real pain! Then the rules changed and we got Permanente visa cards at the INM office in Progreso. What a joy!

Of course, as you say, with the rules change we had a narrow window when we had to get our foreign plated vehicle legally imported. It was a challenge, but we got everything done.

Despite some of the minor annoying issues of obtaining legal residency in Mexico, we are still fortunate that we can, unlike in some other countries in the world!

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users