3 replies to this topic

#1 kwilliams

kwilliams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

Hi everyone,

We successfully made it to Playa one week ago.  Our border crossing was uneventful, as was most of the drive.  The only rough part was getting stuck in a 5 hour traffic jam which led to a very long day on the road in the dark.  If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message.  And a huge "thank you" to everyone who responded to my prior posts.

This week we were able to submit our paperwork to immigration to finalize our temporary resident visas (another win!).  The last thing we need to take care of is extending the TIP permit for our car.  I understand that I can print a form and mail it to the main Aduana office in Mexico City.  However, I would really love to just get this done in person, so I can get confirmation on the spot that everything is ok.  Has anyone done this recently at the Progresso office or the Cancun airport office?

Any help is appreciated,

Kris

#2 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

It's been a few years since we did the annual TIP renewals here in Progreso, but the procedure then was to present documents at the office at the entrance of the pier to get permission to go out on the pier and then go out to Aduana and apply for an extension that corresponded to the date on the new temporary resident visa. They then gave some kind of receipt and said to return in "a week or so" and get the updated paperwork.

I doubt you could get it done at the Cancun airport.(They deal with airplanes, not vehicles) Maybe try visiting a branch of Banjercito, the Mexican military bank that deals with TIPs, in Playa? 

Doing it in person will still probably take "a week or so"! LOL

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#3 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:59 AM

That’s is still the process in Progreso. Make sure you have copies of all of your paperwork including car insurance. The “week or so” is correct One of my renewals took about 2 weeks and 3 Tripp’s down the pier and being told it would just be 2 more days. Since you would be coming from Playa, I’d suggest getting a phone number of someone there to call before you make the trip back.

I would first check if there are Aduana offices nearer you or in Chetumal that could do this.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#4 kwilliams

kwilliams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hm, I didn't realize this would also entail multiple trips.  So maybe the Progreso option is off the table.  Not sure if it would be worth the drive.  Chetumal is just about as far, so I guess I will try for mail delivery.  Wish me luck.  I'll report back on the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users