• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nas

Nas

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Does anybody know where I can I rent a handicapped scooter or motorized wheelchair in Merida?

If not, do you know where I could rent a scooter? I’m not a resident yet so I do not want to buy one.

Thank you.

#2 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

I've never seen these for rent here. Motorized wheelchairs are not really in use here, probably due to the steep cost of purchase, and the price of electricity to charge them.  My brother-in-law has one, but he brings it from Canada. When looking for other adaptive equipment for him, we found that there really was nothing for rent. Everything is purchase only. I'd be happy to learn of rental places here, so if anyone knows of one, please post.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#3 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

I'm not sure how helpful a motorized one would be as Merida (centro at least) is one of the least handicap accessible places I know!

(Curbs are outrageously high due to lack of drainage to prevent flooding of homes and businesses during the rainy season, and to top it off, sidewalk are very narrow and uneven!)

#4 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

If a rental is found, it would basically be usable only in the house. Most curbs don't have handicap ramps and most sidewalks are narrow and filled with light poles, signs, etc.  Within the house only, a regular wheelchair might be enough?

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#5 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

A motorized chair is usable in Progreso. My brother-in-law uses his and can get out the driveway, down the street and onto the Malecon. There are curb cuts/ramps on many streets, and all along the Malecon. Many of the restaurants are accessible via ramp. La Antigua, Flamingos and Crabsters all have ramps. Eladios has a ramp on the parking lot side. He also can get around Progreso Centro. In Merida Centro it would be impossible, although the malls and many of the stores in the north side in particular would be accessible. Movie theaters are accessible.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#6 HenryVG

HenryVG

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

I just got out of a 3 month 'stay' in a wheelchair. Some parts of Progreso and malls in Merida are ok, but the vast majority of areas are terrible for access.
Cobbles, curbs, 3/4 ramps and sidewalks with poles in them are the norm.
This isn't the best area to be in one.

So glad to see YoListo back in business. 

#7 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

I'm going to take a WAG and say the hospital can give you the names of durable medical equipment (DME) providers.  I will import (take it on the plane for free) my husband's electric wheelchair.  Because we lived on a farm the chair can overcome obstacles in terrain (sounds like Merida, eh? lol).  Yes, they are very expensive.  Forget about the cost of charging the batteries, the batteries themselves are expensive.  They do last a very long time once charged so the electricity cost is nothing like an oxygen concentrator.  The consumption of electricity for an oxygen concentrator is VERY similar to running an air conditioner. BIG $$$'s, you can't turn them off, they run 24/7.  On my "to-do list" while in Merida is to check out durable medical equipment, visit the pharmacy for med prices -- ack I'll stop there, the list is getting too long.  I suspect the pharmacist may be able to advise me on DME suppliers.  My dad is on oxygen -- insurance never covers the portable machines, but I'm wondering if I should purchase an oxygen concentrator here, buy one there, rent, or have bottles delivered.  I will probably have oxygen bottles delivered at first, and go from there.  I need to keep a spreadsheet for the "financially best" scenarios I'm investigating.  Sigh...  As we age we are very high maintenance.  My turn is coming so I take it all in stride and thank God they are still with me.

What draws me in is that a trip is a leap in the dark. It's like a metaphor for life. You set off from home, and in the classic travel book, you go to an unknown place. You discover a different world, and you discover yourself. Paul Theroux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users