5 replies to this topic

#1 michmex

michmex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hi,

I have read several stories on various sites about the process of importing household goods on a perm/temp visa and am getting conflicting info.

my understanding is- go to local mx consulate apply for temp residency , create manje de casa, once approved they put temp res sticker in your passport (as well as other documentation), then pack and head to the border. here is my question....at the border, I have read that you need to have your Residente Temporal CARD not the sticker to import your goods duty free. otherwise they charge for import?

anyone cross the border with goods and not have the actual card?

Gracias

#2 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

A few have driven across with all their goods.
Many others have flown in, with their household items coming via Linea Peninsular (container ships).

Maybe this comment will bump it up to the top and some who have driven will see it.

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#3 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

My experience is about 10 years old so it might be out of date. At one point we drove down in convoy with another couple. We all had our FM3 stickers in our passports. (FM3 being a previous equivalent of a temporary residency) The other couple had a full sized van filled to the roof with all their household posessions. They had no problem crossing the border with their stuff and just the passport stickers.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#4 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

You should probably ask this question at the consulate where you plan to get your temporary resident permission.  I did a search, and found that the McAllen Texas Mexican consulate has some information about this (in Spanish), where it states the requirements for getting a TEMPORARY menaje de casa -- the link is here -- you'll see that it states that you need to present your Mexican visa that indicates you've complied with the temporary residency requirements OR your temporary resident card.  That indicates to me that the stamps/stickers in your passport would be enough.  But it's always good to double-check. And, best to ask specifically at the consulate you plan to use, since different consulates may have different interpretations of the law.  Good luck.

#5 michmex

michmex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

Hi Dugin,

this is what I was looking for and (I think) may be the problem people are running into at the border. I will check at the consulate. guess all you can do is print this stuff out and hope for the best.

Dave_in_ont did they pay import duties?

#6 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

They paid no duty at the actual border. But at the secondary checkpoint about 25 miles south of the border they got inspected again and had to pay $75 U.S. duty on a 40" flat screen TV. That was all and they did get a receipt.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users