7 replies to this topic

#1 shadow1326

shadow1326

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

Does anyone know what it would cost to have a live in made cook in merida?

#2 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

Estimate -- for five and half days a week (typical for full-time), minimum of 1500 pesos a week, plus you would need to provide payment to social security (IMSS), plus aguinaldo and vacation (as per the law).  Obviously the amount would vary depending on duties, experience, etc.

#3 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Hi, I'm moving to Merida as well and one of the main reasons is my desperate need for a full-time caregiver/homemaker; cook, maid, run errands, etc.  I need some uninterrupted sleep every now and then and some independent "me" time.  The statistics for caregivers dying before the person they are caring for is astonishing.  Until you've done it you have no idea how demanding caregiving is. 

I was thinking about live-in help that would include room and board.  Does anyone have any information or insight into this?  Dugin I appreciate the information you gave.  My goodness, I can't imagine not giving someone a vacation or a Christmas bonus...  Someone who provides you with comfort all day is a part of the family and deserves to be treated fairly!  The IMSS, or social security costs shouldn't be too terribly high; should they???  Considering room and board would be included do you think 1500 pesos, minus what I pay IMSS is customary, or a fair wage?  I don't want to take advantage of anyone, and I do want them to feel they are treated better than fair.

What draws me in is that a trip is a leap in the dark. It's like a metaphor for life. You set off from home, and in the classic travel book, you go to an unknown place. You discover a different world, and you discover yourself. Paul Theroux

#4 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

I see the questions was "live-in" and not full-time only.  I wonder if the ongoing sleep deprivation has something to do with my neurons not firing?  Sorry!  Never mind :wacko:

What draws me in is that a trip is a leap in the dark. It's like a metaphor for life. You set off from home, and in the classic travel book, you go to an unknown place. You discover a different world, and you discover yourself. Paul Theroux

#5 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

About ten years ago my mother lived with us, and I was her caregiver.  After a few months, I had a lady come in and work an 8-hour shift -- she was not a nurse, but a very nice, capable lady who kept the room clean, my mother comfortable, including help with mobility exercises, made her some snacks, etc.  I paid her 300 pesos a day.  Today, I imagine that the cost would be 500-600 pesos a day.  When my mother needed nursing care, I arranged for off-shift nurses from a local hospital -- ten years ago, I paid them 600 pesos for an 8-hour shift.  None of these  people had their own transportation, and I think you'll find that pretty typical.  I should also add that it was not easy to find people to help, but I believe that there are now several services that offer home help, so things might be easier, though not less expensive.

#6 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

I don’t believe you will have an easy time finding someone for 1500 pesos a week less IMSS costs. Although not live in, cleaning people are getting 250-400 per day. But there may be the possibility of an older or younger couple where the one spouse has another job and this would be a free place to live plus a little extra. Goo luck!

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#7 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

About ten years ago my mother lived with us, and I was her caregiver.  After a few months, I had a lady come in and work an 8-hour shift -- she was not a nurse, but a very nice, capable lady who kept the room clean, my mother comfortable, including help with mobility exercises, made her some snacks, etc.  I paid her 300 pesos a day.  Today, I imagine that the cost would be 500-600 pesos a day.  When my mother needed nursing care, I arranged for off-shift nurses from a local hospital -- ten years ago, I paid them 600 pesos for an 8-hour shift.  None of these  people had their own transportation, and I think you'll find that pretty typical.  I should also add that it was not easy to find people to help, but I believe that there are now several services that offer home help, so things might be easier, though not less expensive.

Thank you so much!  Real life experiences give me a very good indication of what to expect.  300 pesos is about $16, that was 10 years ago so today, maybe $25 is a realistic price?  Can you tell me what area you lived in?  In town, suburb, beach, close to a major hospital?  I'm hoping being in town, close to a hospital with better public transportation will help.  I can always hope :)

#8 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

I don’t believe you will have an easy time finding someone for 1500 pesos a week less IMSS costs. Although not live in, cleaning people are getting 250-400 per day. But there may be the possibility of an older or younger couple where the one spouse has another job and this would be a free place to live plus a little extra. Goo luck!

Thank you!  I need all the luck I can get :)  After I wrote that I realized the question was "live-in" and not full-time.  My question was not based on the facts; or original question.  So, 1500 plus IMSS costs for live-in, but what are the IMSS costs?  I can Google it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users