• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

Thank you so much for that valuable information.

My husband and I have lived here for 9 years and must have been living in a bubble. We have a cistern here in Progreso, which fills from city water. We shower, brush our teeth, and wash clothes with that water, never thinking about all the things you have now brought to light.

From now on when I turn the tap on in the kitchen, I will be mindful of such horrid germs and what not (big ass spider died in the cistern years ago and is now calcified at the bottom) that are pouring from that seemingly safe tap.

I used to ( I'll call it BWI, before water info) get up in the morning and walk outside and say "hello Mexico, I love you", but now, being so informed, I will stay mindful and say "hello Mexico, I love you, but please do not kill me today when I brush my teeth".

I have an elderly father with diabetes who tends to have open wounds so clean water is important. I can't change the facts or the science, but I can avoid problems by educating myself. Why would you not love Mexico?  We have the exact same problems in the states.  You could say hello world don't kill me today because potable water is becoming scarce everywhere.  Why would anyone take science personally?  Go figure.

What draws me in is that a trip is a leap in the dark. It's like a metaphor for life. You set off from home, and in the classic travel book, you go to an unknown place. You discover a different world, and you discover yourself. Paul Theroux

#22 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

Thanks to everyone who gave good sound advice an information.  I'm going to sign off of this topic.  I think I've gained as much information as I need for the moment.  For those of you who are interested I've provided links to help.  Thanks again to those who are "in the know".

What draws me in is that a trip is a leap in the dark. It's like a metaphor for life. You set off from home, and in the classic travel book, you go to an unknown place. You discover a different world, and you discover yourself. Paul Theroux

#23 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

I think there is only one colonia that has a sewer system. The rest of the city, and the state, are on individual septic systems.

What colonia is that?

----------------------------------

Alleman

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#24 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

I can't speak for Merida, I am referring to the beach area about city water.  Sometimes no city water is because electricity here is not cheap.  So when the city is unable to pay it's CFE bill on time, CFE cuts them off and thus no pumps to pump the water.  Other times, the 2 week Easter holiday and the months of July and August (when most Mexicans are on vacation) and all most all the houses in the beach area are occupied, they don't always keep up with the demand for water.  Of course broken lines (which most the time are just plastic hoses buried only a few inches usually) beneath the ground break and are not repaired very quickly.  I believe you should just accept the fact that the only good water here (and in Merida) comes in a bottle.  And you should get a good treatment system for whichever place you decide to move into.

#25 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:15 PM

And, just maybe (definitely) weren't. hahaha.

You want the truth?  The truth is I have no motive or desire to deceive you.  Why would I?  :( 

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

#26 rcgntulsa2

rcgntulsa2

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

You want the truth?  The truth is I have no motive or desire to deceive you.  Why would I?  :(

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

You know, lencho, it's funny -- I know you've been around here a long time, and I know you give some great advice.  I had to go back and read carefully to even try to figure out what Yucatan4Me might have meant by that comment ...

I hope that they missed, or misinterpreted, the period (.) after maybe, and took your next statement as sarcasm.  I know that you answered their statement of wondering if you have underestimated Mexican authorities - to that, you responded "Maybe."  Then you explained a bit of your background.  I wonder if/hope that it was read (incorrectly) as though you were saying "Maybe I was employed in a Mexican Government biological research center for 17 years..."  As if you were saying maybe I was, maybe I wasn't.

At least I hope that is what happened.  Otherwise it was just a really rude comment from a new user who has come to this group asking for advice, information, and input.   :unsure:

#27 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

We have seen this same scenario many times in the past.

A new person who has never lived here before asks for information. Folks with years of experience reply with honest answers and then the original person doesn't like the reality of the answers and suggests all of the ways that things could and should be changed. Then they decide that they are being picked on because their idealistic ideas don't match the reality of living here and decides to give up asking.

Why ask in the first place if the answers aren't what you want to hear?

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#28 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Dave

#29 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

I agree Dave, you ask for info then, act like you know it all. Why ask in the first place

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#30 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:29 PM

At least I hope that is what happened.  Otherwise it was just a really rude comment from a new user who has come to this group asking for advice, information, and input.   :unsure:

-------------

No way to know-- I've given up trying to mind read.

Whatever the case, she's gotten off to a bad start here and I would be impressed if at this point she has the guts to come back and join the group. B)

#31 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:34 AM

Thank you again to the people who were sincerely helpful.  To others: I found the information that was apparently not available because it's Mexico, and anyone wanting that information shouldn't move to Mexico. That was not helpful advice considering you know nothing about me.  Earlier I stated I would share the information about the lab and other information as it became available but I won't be posting on this forum again.  Just a WAG, but some of the "expert" trolls and hecklers purchased a home or leased one without making sure they had an adequate and safe water supply.  I'm sincerely sorry if that happened to you. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  I hope others will find this thread, the science links, and be able to make a more informed decision in the future.  It's hard for a buyer to be aware when they don't have a clue where to start -- it would be nice if you tried to be kind, a bit more understanding, and helped out future posters who are trying to take care of their family. I didn't find many here who actually tried to help -- the ones still heckling and trolling know who they are.

#32 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Yucatan4Me, I have no idea why you've piled on and now doubled down on people that were being sincere, not "emotional" as you seemed to think. I had no idea you were a woman until you added comments about not needing a man and that people were displaying macho behaviour. You're looking for trouble where there was none. I found your responses to both Dave and Lencho to be particularly rude. What did you possibly hope to gain by responding to them in the manner that you did?

Good luck to you, I do hope that you find what you are looking for. Perhaps if you approach people with less of a chip on your shoulder, you may find that we are willing to help you where we can. If you can't do that, then it will be a lonely road. 

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#33 stormy

stormy

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

Always the grownup Joanne. Well said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users