8 replies to this topic

#1 rcgntulsa2

rcgntulsa2

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

I couldn't quite decide in which forum to pose this question, so here seems as good as any....

My basic little home, with not much of anything inside it right now -- If I walk into someplace (Walmart, Chedraui, Home Depot) and buy myself a simple little oven/range for $4000 or so (like this - https://www.bestbuy....lata/1000208114) and drag it home ... what do I need to know about actually hooking it up and using it.  And what am I going to need to buy in addition to the stove?

Eventually, I would expect to put one of the large gas tanks outside the house, make connection through walls, into kitchen, etc. to connect the gas, but if I don't do that right away (since we're not there much at all right now), can a stove like this be operated with a small gas tank (like a 20lb propane tank in the USA).  

I'm just trying to think about whether it is worth the effort to buy a little stove soon or just wait until we completely redo kitchen and add appliances for a more "permanent" solution.  But it would be nice to be able to boil water and skillet cook a few things here and there!

Thanks for your thoughts!

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

It’s easy enough to hook up to a small tank. Order a tank from one of the gas companies and they will hook it up for you. However I would not have a tank in the house. If you have a location on the outside near the stove, a small hole will need to be drilled through the wall. If it’s farther away you will need a longer hose or gas pipe. Any plumber can do it

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#3 rcgntulsa2

rcgntulsa2

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

It’s easy enough to hook up to a small tank. Order a tank from one of the gas companies and they will hook it up for you. However I would not have a tank in the house. If you have a location on the outside near the stove, a small hole will need to be drilled through the wall. If it’s farther away you will need a longer hose or gas pipe. Any plumber can do it

Thanks Chuck.

How big of a problem (at the beach - Telchac) is theft of that tank?  Right now, I don't have much of a way to secure an outside tank (I will eventually have a little padlocked "cage" built for one, but no such thing exists right now.  I have an upstairs terrace (large -- not just a balcony).  Would it be safe® up there, thinking both safe® from theft and safe from the inherent risks of a big gas tank sitting around inside or outside your home.

#4 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

I’ve never heard of one being stolen in our 10 years her, but I guess it could happen. You could buy a chain and padlock

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#5 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

I have heard of them "disappearing"......  just turn the valve off and store it in the house when you are not here.

That will also spare it from the effects our environment has on metal things kept outside.

I would also recommend however a portable gas range top instead of a stove with an oven.

Because I believe you will find you will probably use the oven very little.

We use a crock pot many more time than we use our oven.

#6 rcgntulsa2

rcgntulsa2

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Thanks both Chuck and Jim.  For some reason, it just struck me that they'd be easy targets, though they have been known to disappear (as Jim says), glad to know it might not be too common (as Chuck suggests).

Thanks for suggesting the portable ... I have thought of that, and, sadly, one problem I had was...I knew (know) what you are talking about, but I wasn't even completely sure what to CALL it if I go looking for one!!  Jim - any suggestion of best place to buy one?

#7 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

They sell them every where, depends on how fancy you want to get, although electric ones are more abundant than gas ones.

#8 ELNIDO

ELNIDO

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

A friend of ours bought a two-burner portable electric range top.  Just another option.

#9 rcgntulsa2

rcgntulsa2

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Thanks all -- for our needs until we get around to a complete kitchen remodel, I think the portable will work perfectly.  I am not sure how great our wiring is right now (another future project  :) ), so I will check that out and consider the demand of the electric version (I believe comparable to an electric heater, since, essentially, that is what it is) and go from there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users