7 replies to this topic

#1 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

If you want to see how much it costs to live in Merida (or any other city) compared to the city you come from, take a look at this site. I can't tell you their data is 100% reliable, but it gives you a pretty good idea. All you need to do is fill in the form.

https://www.numbeo.c.../comparison.jsp

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#2 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:05 AM

An interesting website Bernard! And fairly accurate too.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#3 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

What surprised me was to find that the price of gas here is higher than in our home town, Quebec City, and if there's a place where gas is overtaxed, it's in Quebec.

#4 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:48 PM

Same situation for me Bernard. Gas here in Mexico is more expensive than in our area of Ontario. But all the other savings in cost of living more than make up for that slightly higher cost of gas.

Sometimes folks back home ask how we can afford to spend 7 months of the year in Mexico. They assume we are "on vacation" when we are actually "living" here, just like we live when back home. I just tell them it's easy...We save money by living in Mexico!!!

About 10 years ago I did a simplistic spreadsheet comparing our costs to live full time in Ontario versus splitting our time between Ontario and Mexico. Even including maintaining a home in Canada 12 months a year, paying rent in Mexico and the travel costs to fly back and forth, it was still cheaper to spend 7 months a year in Mexico and the bonus was....no cold and no snow!!!  :D  :D

Driving Through Mexico

#5 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:11 PM

Putting aside the major home maintenance cost here in our Merida home, we live on our Quebec Pension Plan only (the Quebec equivalent Canadian Pension Plan) considering the low cost of living here 9 months out of 12 under a Quebec students status. So that means our governmental pension plan (we're both retired public employees) is put in our savings account.

#6 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

What are you "saving" it for Bernard? Shirl and I decided last year that we were going to stop the saving idea and just start "spending". Hopefully our last cheque to the funeral home will bounce!!  :D  :D

Driving Through Mexico

#7 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:26 AM

What are you "saving" it for Bernard? Shirl and I decided last year that we were going to stop the saving idea and just start "spending". Hopefully our last cheque to the funeral home will bounce!!  :D  :D

We save it for travelling. Last year we've been on a cruise in China for a month. The year before, we went to France to bring back some Bordeaux wine I had bought years ago. I paid $11-12 a bottle back then and they were worth over $250 each when we brought some back. They were stored in a friend's wine cellar for something like 10 years. After that we went in England to visit some friends in Nottingham followed by a visit to Liverpool where I attended an international conference on Jack the Ripper. Of course, we went for a Beatle's tour.

We moved around on the east coast with our 11 meter motor home. (see picture)

This coming June we will be in Russia on a VIP cruise. We've already planed our next trip in Italy for a month.

So basically we're saving money to spend it in world travelling. LOL

And we still have some money left to buy a house if we decide spend more time in Canada than Mexico.

Attached Files

#8 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

OK...That makes sense Bernard!

Driving Through Mexico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users