20 replies to this topic

#1 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

I need mutton tallow for a project I'm working on. Anyone know where I can buy pure mutton tallow in Merida? Or I am going to have to lean to render/make it myself? Anyone know how? :| :?:

#2 stormy

stormy

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Never made any but I think you: cut the major fat deposits off the meat, boil the fat down, strain it well, pour it off into molds and chill.

#3 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

Sorry to be ignorant about Mutton Tallow (sheep fat?)..But what is it used for?

#4 wiz1

wiz1

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Maybe Legal Blonde (nan) has some... (as a bonnie lassie) ;)

Dave: it helps the haggis slide down...

think: proper deep-fried haggis... and a cold Iron Brew!

#5 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

Mutton tallow is used to make soap, candles and lubricants. Other types of tallow can turn rancid with time, mutton doesn't. I only need a couple of ounces. Hopefully I won't have to make a batch, I'm told rendering really stinks up the house.

#6 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

deleted

#7 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

I need the mutton tallow as a lubricate for a leather gasket on an antique instrument I'm restoring.

#8 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:13 AM

How stunningly beautiful!

http://www.organsupp... ... pplies.pdf

Link to a catalogue page for tallow. You can 1/2 pound buy online....sorry, not local.

Are there any candle making shops near you?

#9 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Sarah, thanks for that link. I have tried to buy from Organ Supply in the past, they will not sell to me because I'm not a professional organ builder, plus a $3.00 container of tallow will end up costing $40-50.00 if I have to Fedex it to Merida from the US. :( Gun shops in the US usually stock it. Any gun shops in Merida?

#10 Kaye

Kaye

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

If it doesn't cost that much and is easily purchased at gun shops, why don't you just ask someone here on the site to "mule" it down here for you?? Surely someone is coming almost weekly.

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

That is a fantastic organ! What a beauty.

If you end up rendering it on your own, try to do it outside. I made my own seed cakes for the woodpeckers one year and that was one of the most hideous odors I've ever had the displeasure to inhale. Atrocious.

#12 LegalBlonde

LegalBlonde

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

Wiz, how could you possibly thinks of deep frying haggis!!. Personally I wouldn't think of eating the stuff cooked anyway though it should probably be washed down with a good glass of scotch to hide the taste and make you forget what it actually is.

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Nan, I asked Tony & Karen and their friends here and they all said they like haggis.
So maybe it can be made different ways......ie deep fried.

#14 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

We have quite a number of sheep ranchers in Yucatan. They can probably be reached through the national Agriculture site: http://www.sagarpa.g... ... ction.aspx or the State Agriculture site: http://www.sfayp.yuc...mx/SFAPMain.jsp

OR - call one of the hunting clubs and ask them if they have any Mutton tallow or know where you can get some ... just google hunt Merida Yucatan that ought to get you tons of hunting clubs in the area.

#15 wiz1

wiz1

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

Nan,
I last had fried haggis in Pennock. It was made from either a lamb's stomach or the end of a sheep's stomach, since it was only the size of a very fat sausage. Deep frying did little to help the taste.
Offal is just.... offal ...

A nice shepherd's pie however or a cooo-ked breakfast (like kippers & eggs) makes me smile.

still working on an alternate source for mutton tallow.
Using a local sheep farmer's help is not appealing if it involves rendering mutton fat. I've rendered buffalo fat and cleaned, prepped, and brain-tanned buffalo hides, and I can't say which is worse...
Both are beyond nasty jobs ... X-D (think cooked blenderized brains, whipped to a frothy consistency)

#16 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Sheesh Wiz..I was enjoying reading this thread...opps..be back...

Whew..ok.. back from the bathroom!!!

Makes the green marble peas seem almost OK!!! X-D X-D

#17 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:42 AM

Khaki, thanks for that info. ;)

Not sure about the haggis

#18 LegalBlonde

LegalBlonde

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

Wiz, you and Les would get on really well. He loves kippers. I have to hold my nose when I cook them for him then spray the house to get rid of the smell. How do you feel about black pudding - that is another favourite of his.

#19 wiz1

wiz1

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

OP (Meridamondo),
According to my wife, I think you are searching for sebo de carnero o sebo de obeja...
Local and internet searches have yielded nada so far... will ask mi suegra...

Nan,
Black pudding: how can one go wrong with a mix of blood, suet, & oatmeal?
(the main ingredients ... in order of amount used...) :(

Black pudding and blood sausages seemed a bit first at much, but if you have to spend a hard day working
(or golfing ;) ) outside in Scotland's cold damp misty weather, they really stick with you - keeping you full, warm, and satisfied for hours and hours - like frijoles refritos made with liberal dollops of lard. I once mentioned kippers and eggs to an Italian-American friend, and she beamed: "reminds me of breakfast at my grandmother de Toscani: they also love a breakfast of (salty) fried fish with eggs... yummmmmm." Italians, too. Go figgure?

Dave & Shirley: Kippers & eggs? Black pudding? Blood Sausages? X-D

For anyone who thinks we've hijacked the thread: Black pudding's suet could be a last-chance substitute for mutton tallow - but beef tallow suet would go rancid in Yucat√°n's heat... *sigh*

Anybody else up for a nice bowl of charnina (a Polish soup)?
A basic Czarnina Recipe starts: "Collect the blood of a freshly killed duck or goose ..." X-D

... and yes, these sorts of discussions make my Mexican suegra's, abuelitas, y tia-abuela's mouths water - since they fondly remember drinking fresh bull's blood "for strength", when they were kids...

and I have to admit that fresh buffalo blood is tasty... really... salty, but tasty.
and sliced raw kidney eventually tastes pretty good (Lakota eat it "for courage").

Scots? Poles? Mexicans? Native Americans (Lakota)? & Why eat such stuff? ...
What do they have in common?
Tough, sharp, resilient groups of people who got through centuries of tough times, without all the complaining like Americans who lived through just 12 years of a "Great Depression".
(Three of the four groups, coincidentally(?), also love a good daily shot or 2 of their national hooch.)

#20 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Now hold up just a second! What's the matter with eating those kinds of things? 45 years ago, I lived for almost a whole summer on "red" (blood) boudin - as did most Louisianians. We had to! "The government" was going to outlaw it at the end of the summer and we were going to have nothing but white boudin for the whole entire complete rest of our lives! HORRORS !!! :o

Wiz - please add the French people in Louisiana to your list of "Tough, sharp, resilient groups of people who got through centuries of tough times, without all the complaining" AND - a little "white lightening" to wash it down.

http://www.boudinlink.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users