Photo

Plants that attract or repel mosquitoes?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Neil_Youngson

Neil_Youngson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

Now that my renovations are nearly complete I'm starting to plan my garden (Merida centro). Does anyone have any suggestions for selecting or avoiding certain plant types that repel or attract mosquitoes, or that attract mosquito-eating wildlife?

Thanks
Neil

#2 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

There are many plants mosquitos can't tolerate. Many of them contain Citronellol. Here are a few of them :
Lemongrass (also known as barbed wire grass, silky heads, citronella grass, fever grass or Hierba Luisa ).
Lemon Geranium (Pelargonium lemoneum)
Citrus or Lemon Thyme (Thymus citriodorus)
Lemon Basil (has small leaves)
Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
Lemon Verbena (Aloysia citrodora)
Here's a link that tells you how to grow one of them:
 Grow your own Mosquitio Repellent

• Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Good info!!!

#4 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

We planted lots of basil it does surprisingly great at the beach or at least across the street from the beach. Marigolds as also been suggested and they grow well here also with seeds available at Home Depot. The marigolds did not reseed like the basil did however

#5 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

I don't know why one would like to attract mosquitos. But the best way is to place an aquatic plant in any watertight container. Mosquitos will lay their eggs on the surface and the larvae will feed on the growing algea and hide in the underwater roots of the plants. Soon enough you'll have your mosquitos.

Here are some plants you may use :
Waterlilies, Water lettuce, Water Hyacinths, Taro (Elephant ear), Papyrus.

#6 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

Jardinero,

Those are the plants I give as gifts to newcomers that live several houses away, between growing mosco repleeling plants at my hose and giving mosco attracting plants to neighbors bocks away I have few skeeters in my yard.

#7 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

To complete the plant list I just gave, I got this link ont bees and wasps repellent plants: Bee and Wasp Repellent Plants

Now does someone have a mother-in-law repellent plant I could use in exchange?

#8 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

How effective are the Mosca repellers? Do you need a whole yard full to be effective or just a few?

Whazzoo

#9 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Neem trees are effective in repelling mosquitoes (and even other insects). You can purchase them at any nursery but realize that, as a barrier, they won't work for your whole yard if you plant them next to the house. If you do that, it will only keep them from coming inside. One of my friends has them planted in pots that she then places around whichever patio she is entertaining on at the moment.

Neem oil works too - and can be purchased at the Merida English Library.

#10 Neil_Youngson

Neil_Youngson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi Jardinero,

many thanks for the info. Since mosquitoes mostly feed on nectar (when the females aren't sucking my blood so they can make eggs!) I was wondering if there were plants that I should avoid planting because they were mosquito favourites and might attract the little blighters...

Cheers
Neil

#11 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

I wouldn't plant anything that has leaves that have the capacity to hold little reservoirs of standing water - even dew - near ground level - or, if you do, cut those bottom leaves off. No point in adding swimming pools and hotel rooms for mosquitoes if you can keep from it. As for plants that attract mosquitoes, I have never heard of any - again, unless they hold little reservoirs of standing water.

#12 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi Jardinero,

many thanks for the info. Since mosquitoes mostly feed on nectar (when the females aren't sucking my blood so they can make eggs!) I was wondering if there were plants that I should avoid planting because they were mosquito favourites and might attract the little blighters...

Cheers
Neil

You're right, Neil. They feed on nectar (from any flower by the way) and will look for it within their usual 1-2 km radius habitat territory. So even if you don't have flowers, they'll manage to find it close by. I'd do the same thing Yolisto-Khaki suggests for the repellent plants: using small pots, placing some close to the windows and doors or wherever they are.

#13 Katz

Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Have you seen lemon grass or lemon balm here in the Yucatan? Would Hierba Luisa be the name that lemon grass is known in Mexico?

#14 Theresa

Theresa

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Lemon grass is te de limom. You can buy it at the supermarket, if you can find a fresh piece with roots still attached you can plant it.regards,Theresa

#15 Theresa

Theresa

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

sorry that my reply looks so odd. I am using someone else's computer and they have an odd browser/Theresa

#16 Katz

Katz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Thanks so much Theresa. I need it for cooking and didn't know if it was available here. I'll look amongst the piles of assorted herbs in the stores or I'll try in the mercado now that I know what it's called.

#17 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

If you pass by the Merida English Language Library on Calle 53 (#524 between 66 and 68) stop by and ask them where to find these plants. They have a couple of gardeners that might be able to help you. I believe Mexican will use the term "Citronella" for the words lemon grass.

#18 Theresa

Theresa

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

You are very welcome. I haven't seen it at the Mercado, but I have seen it at the Comer, both the one at the Grand Plaza and Mega.
I should know better than to use Husband's computer. It's te de límon not limoM....grumble, stupid Konquerer, low light and rotten keyboard. It couldn't possibly be me!

regards,
Theresa

#19 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

I was amazed at the variety of plants the nursery's on the perifierico had across and past Wal-Mart if your headed towards Star Medica. I don't know the names but fortunately do know the leaves and smells of most plants I seek. They did not have as large a herb selection as I find in the US but did have a decent selection and also bagged s up some good dirt

#20 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info lizard. When I get back to Merida, I'll have a "couple" of plants I be looking for (mainly aquatic plants).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users