#1 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Let's play a game.

Whoever finds the most comfortable, affordable rental car for 2-3 weeks in Merida, Centro wins.

Ready...Set...GO

#2 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Montejo Car rentals

Whazzoo

#3 coldinbc

coldinbc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

National , on 60 between 53 & 55 !

#4 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

My dear Senora-Iquisidora, I am so happy you have graced us with your presence! It's been too long.

I have a non-recommendation for you -- Hertz. While nothing bad happened with them, they were less than helpful.

My best to you and the Senor!

-- Josh

#5 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and non-recommendations guys!  We are looking into all of them.  I'll post our experience. 

I can't wait to get there and de-ice my toes.

We are expecting 2 feet of snow tonight. The grocery stores here are a nightmare with people stocking up on bread, milk and eggs.  It's like: "OMG, it's going to snow, we HAVE to make french toast"!

C-Man!  What's up?!  I am planning to take some friends to Chichen soon, any ideas on what we should/ or who we should ask about touring? It's been several years since I've visited. The last 2 times I went my tours were cut short due to tormenta's.  Maybe this will be my lucky trip.

#6 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

My estimada Senora Inquisidora,

Here are some very, very basic tips for getting the most from your visit to Chichen Itza:

1) Arrive early. Very early. Like 8 a.m. early, if you can, when the archaeological zone opens. The vendors are only beginning to trickle in and there are no tour buses. When I was last there, there was only a French couple wandering around El Castillo. We had the place to ourselves.

2) Hire a guide. Go for it! Fully a third of what they tell you is crap or conjecture, but they know a lot of good info. Only do this if you or your guests are interested in Maya culture. I can give you the name of a guide if you want to arrange something in advance.

3) Exit the park before noon, or better, 11. Once the turistas come in their buses, it gets nutty. And the vendors, except for my friends who work there, are obnoxious.

4) Visit Balancanche. It is a cave a couple of kilometers past Chichen Itza on the Libre. I think it is marvelous! The guides, however, are more comfortable with Spanish.

5) Have lunch at the Hacienda Chichen, my personal favorite. If you go the Hacienda Chichen and are serenaded by a trova trio, be sure to tip them generously as they are good friends of mine. While there, ask to speak with Naturalist Jim. I have no idea if he wants people to bother him, but he is a gringo who lives in a Maya hut on the property and has a wealth of information about the flora and fauna around Chichen. I intend to spend some time with him when I go down. Feel free to mention my name (Josh, not Coyote Man), although I doubt it will gain you any favors.

If you're itching to move on, head into Valladolid. William Lawson recently re-visited a restaurant there I want to try, Taberna de los Frailes , which is owned by Maruja Barbachano. Perhaps if you are in Yucatan when I arrive in March, you can take me there   -- your treat (with Senor Inquisidora, of course, to chaperone to make certain everything is proper).

6) Take a brief sidetrip to Uayma. There is a very cool church that has a facade that has recently been restored. Very impressive. Don't get suckered by the locals into seeing the cenote. Although a nice one, when I was there there was a mattress floating in it along with other garbage.

Of course I don't have to tell you to bring plenty of water, a broad-brimmed hat, comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen and bug repellent. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like some more information.

Saludos!

-- Josh

• Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

We always go with Easy Way Rent a Car, they are in Centro, next door to the Casa del Balam hotel

#8 bombero

bombero

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

We have used Easy Way the last 3 times we have been down and they have been great. The only hiccup we had the last 2 times was that the paper permit taped to the back window expired while I had possesion of the car. We had to phone, let them know that we needed a new one and then go down to their office the next day to get the new permit. FYI the permit is used in place of a licence plate so you need it to be current because you do tend to be pulled over more often by the police when they notice you have no plates..
"If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one."

#9 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

I booked a car via www.carrentals.com for one of our guests last week. The rate for same day pickup at Hertz Fiesta Americana was 17.99 per day for an Economy car. Insurance was not required since it was paid for by credit card. After taxes, it came out to $24 per day, unlimited. Our guest was very happy with the car. We have used this booking site before and have always found great rates.

Chuck
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#10 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

Chuck..Just a question...When you say insurance was covered by credit card..are you totally convinced that is correct?

Not asking for me but just to ensure that others don't get into a problem. And to advise relatives and friends who might visit us again in the future.

I have heard that sometimes the credit card "insurance" is not honored in Mexico.

Comments?

Driving Through Mexico

Seven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#11 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

My husband has reminded me that we used Easy Way a few times with no problems over the years. However, we will look into some of the other agencies to compare. Thanks!

Dave in Ont, With AMEX you are covered in Mexico for damage to the car and medical expenses, but any other vehicle or people in other vehicles are not covered. You pay an extra expense for rental coverage.

CoyoteMan, thank you so much for your outline of the basics. Just what I was looking for. I will lay it all out for my posse. You can count on me to tip the trova. I'll let you know what happens. I think I will pass on the mattress cenote and Mr Jim, although he sounds like quite a character.

P.S. How'd you do in the Snowpocalyse? I saw that the Cape had blizzard conditions. We did get 28 inches. The most in the state. Our city was at a standstill yesterday. The news reports that for the first time every state has snow except for Florida.

What are the lows in Merida? Are you using A/C this time of year?

#12 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Here's my scoop on the rental car.

Easy Way was not the easy way. They wanted $60. USD per day, included insurances. We said "Bah-Bye." (but nicely, of course)

We walked across the street to Payless and for a mid-sized, new sedan (can't do an economy sized~need leg room)we are paying approx. $34. USD per day w/liability insurance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chuck, I think you win!

#13 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Alright!

Dave I can only confirm that our guests didn't buy the extra insurance. They didn't have an accident so I don't know what would have happened if they had
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#14 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

What are the lows in Merida? Are you using A/C this time of year?

The lows tend to be about 10 to 20F. Some people will use A/C a bit
of the time. Some of the tall, colonial style houses almost never need A/C even in
summer.

#15 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

@Senora-Inquisidora. The blizzard was an inconvenience, but only that. We got a few inches, nowhere near what the rest of New England received, thanks to the currents of the Atlantic ocean that surround our lovely peninsula of Cape Cod like a warm blanket.

@Chuck. If your guests had been in an accident, without proof of insurance there is a good chance they would have been hauled off to jail. One of the more famous Merida Insider posts was about a member who was in an accident, had no 800 number for his insurance, and spent a few days as a guest of the state of Yucatan. Always get insurance, liability at the very least, and make certain you do not leave the rental car agency without a toll-free number to call in case of an accident.

-- Josh

Available only in Yucatán:
The Man Who Owned a Wonder of the World: The True History of Mexico's Chichén Itzá (abridged edition)
By Evan J. Albright
A Pickwick Book, from Bohlin Carr Inc.

#16 coldinbc

coldinbc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Senora-Inquisidora ; The only insurance that really counts is what you purchase at the counter, forget your credit card ,that will cover a car and maybe property but it will do nothing for you if you hurt or injure a person (possibly the town chichen or horse)I"m not kidding,Max your liabilty even if it doubles your rate for your rental,having any accident is not nice,but getting home is pricesless. (Bin there done that,it aint fun)!

#17 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:50 AM

A precaution about relying upon "credit card insurance" for car rentals:

We researched this thoroughly a while back and the reality wasn't nearly as good as the marketing department would have you believe. AMEX is generally considered to have "the best" or most comprehensive car rental insurance coverage via credit card when out of the USA.

But here's the kicker that you don't know until: 1) you get into an accident and expect they will do anything to help you (they won't! they only "make good" the charges you later prove to them); or 2) stay on the phone over and over until you find someone who will send you the precise paperwork stating what the rental car coverage actually is.

The upshot is this: AMEX covers the gap between what your own car insurance covers and the damages done. In the event that your own car insurance will not cover any overseas accidents in any way whatsoever, AMEX will "approximate" your own coverage but will not exceed it.

What does that mean in reality? For people who drive new cars all the time and carry full coverage, including liability, personal injury, collision and comprehensive, along with uninsured motorist, etc, then AMEX will cover much of your costs, but only after the fact. If you drive a paid-off car, do not carry collision or comprehensive or whatever, then you will not be covered for those by AMEX either.

AMEX WILL NOT SEND AN AGENT TO THE SCENE to help you negotiate with the police and the other driver(s) insurance agents who WILL appear. You will be entirely on your own.

AMEX WILL NOT ADVANCE YOU MONEY AGAINST DAMAGES/INJURIES TO OTHERS. They will only reimburse your proven expenses, fully, partially, or not at all, depending on your own insurance coverage and the events as AMEX determines them to be about the accident.

If you are in an accident in Mexico, and you cannot pay for the other driver(s) damages or heaven forbid, someone has a serious personal injury, AMEX will not keep you out of jail. (nor will any other credit card insurance)

To stay out of jail, you must have an insurance agent from a company that carries insurance on THAT car APPEAR at the ACCIDENT SCENE.

That is only possible if you have purchased insurance for the rental car or otherwise have arranged for yourself to be covered [by a company that maintains live representation] while driving a rental car by a Mexican insurance agency with a presence in your area of travel.

The police are not going to let you walk off from a personal injury accident or even an accident with severe property/collision damage on your say-so that "AMEX will take care of it."

Now, most of us never have an accident. Most of us never will injure someone while driving. But, how long does a stay in a Mexican jail have to be before it begins to seem wise to carry Mexican insurance?

Personally, I have driven cars (rental and borrowed from friends) which were uninsured. I drove with utmost caution. Fortunately, I squeaked by, but I knew the danger I was in; the risk I had accepted.

I have been struck from behind while sitting still at a red light by a stone drunk driver going 20 mph at 10:00 am in broad daylight on a weekday in Merida. Fortunately, the truck I had borrowed was insured, I had a cell phone, and I was able to call the 800 # on the insurance policy in the glove box, speak Spanish to the company, and have an agent appear on the scene.

Also, fortunately, the heavy steel work-bumper absorbed some impact and let the drunk's hood, engine, windshield, bumper and fenders absorb all the rest. His car was totaled. The insurance agent handled everything. I only had to wait the two hours it took the police and agents to settle their paperwork.

Things do happen to the most careful people. If anyone wants to rely on Visa (ha!) or American Express (well, better, but still...) for their coverage, just be aware: that type of "coverage" is financial and after-the-fact only, will not represent your interests at the scene, and will not keep you out of jail.
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#18 abscissa

abscissa

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

That's good info CY :)

#19 bombero

bombero

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

I have previously been relying on my VISA insurance coverage but after this wake up call I doubt if I will do that again. No matter what the cost of counter insurance is.
"If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one."

#20 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

A friend was involved in a fatal auto accident on the Progreso to Merida highway last year, and even though not at fault and with all the insurances safely in place, still spent two worrisome, nasty days in jail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users