7 replies to this topic

#1 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Last week your Senora, her Husband and friends took a journey to Valladolid with the intention to enjoy the city for the day, have a relaxing evening with good friends and get up the next morning for an early tour of Chichen Itza.

We checked into my favorite little boutique (I love that word "boutique") hotel, Casa Quetzal. It is run by a lovely woman named Judith who is the perfect hostess. I love going there. Please check out the website: www.casa-quetzal.com they serve a lovely breakfast made to order.

After checking in we wondered across the street to view the San Bernardino de Siena Ex-convent. It was the time of day where the shadows were long and a photographers dream. My friend is a photographer and was in her glory. The pictures are stunning.

My buddy old pal, Coyote-Man had recommended a restaurant to dine at: Taberna de los Frailes. It is across the street from San Bernadino. Every thing (the hotel, convent, restaurant) is within walking distance of each other.

Memorize the name Taberna de los Frailes. Burn it into your mind. Tattoo it on your arms. Remember it and GET THERE! It was without a doubt the very best dining experience I (and my friends) have had in the Yucatan. From the incredible location, atmosphere, presentation, table settings, as well as the perfect service, not to mention THE FOOD. Ah, Senora was transported to Paradise. We ordered two rounds of mojitos and each ordered a different appetizer. Who knew grilled watermelon with melted cheese was sooo good? Everyone at our table was rolling their eyes in uncontrollable ecstasy. Main courses were served. Not a morsel left on anyones plates. Usually I have no room for desert, but everything was so delicious, we HAD to try the deserts! Again, ecstacy. Everything was topped off with coffe or cappuchino's. After over 2 1/2 hours we managed to roll ourselves past the cenote fenced in across from the pretty bar onto the beautifully landscaped terrace. I can't zip my capri's and I have no regrets. I highly recommend this establishment and look forward to hear what anyone else has to say about it. I would drive out there for the day just to eat there. Next time I will buy one size up in capri's to be better prepared for a meal there. If I'm lying may lightning strike me!

Thanks C-Man for the recommendation. Tell your Chichen friends we love the new place! If our paths cross in Valladolid we will gladly treat you at Taberna de los Frailes!

#2 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

Now that's a review!!!!!
BBQ Master for Lizard Joes AY AY AY!!!
www.lizardjoes.com
http://www.facebook.com/lizardjoes

#3 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Expert

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Thank you, Senora Inquisidora, for the credit, but it was William Lawson's review that let me know how good the restaurant is.

La Taberna de los Frailes – A Valladolid Find!

He liked it so much, he went back:

La Taberna de los Frailes – A Second Visit

The restaurant is owned by a friend, and I am pleased to hear that others have received it so well.

-- Josh

Now Available Everywhere!
The Man Who Owned a Wonder of the World: The True History of Mexico's Chichén Itzá
By Evan J. Albright
A Pickwick Book, from Bohlin Carr Inc.

#4 Macgregorsailor

Macgregorsailor

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

Wow Excellent review and a fun read all rolled up into one!!!
Cut and Paste and there is a ton a mountain of pictures of the Hotel and Restaurant available on the net..
Not One Plastic Coke of XX's chair or table .....among them either.. How refreshing is that..????

#5 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

I just read the links to William Lawson's review which is right on the money.

My friend tooks pics of the menu and I will eventually post some of the items we ordered. Oh, man! Now I'm hungry again! Help! I'm eating and I can't stop!

#6 maricarmen

maricarmen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

I am not surprised to learn that Taberna de los Frailes has received such excellent reviews. The owner, Marujita, is part of a legendary Merida family that revolutionized the tourism industry in Yucatan. She and her siblings inherited from their parents and grandparents the enterprenurial spirit and the pride to always maintain the quality and integrity of their business endeavors. I am happy to say that she and her siblings are carrying that legacy with love and respect. Mis saludos a mis amigos de esa gran familia. ;)

#7 Dahmel

Dahmel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

I second, third and fourth the crudos for Taberna. The service is excellent. If you are not there for a meal time, you can grab a drink. A great place to relax while touring. There is a wonderful passionfruit vine that cvers prt of the patio and a palapa out back where you can eat.

#8 Senora-Inquisidora

Senora-Inquisidora

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

We went twice last week. The best meals ever!

And the mojito's are to die for!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users