Antiques, Flea Markets in Yucatan?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hi folks . . . I'm curious about something and I haven't found any information anywhere on the internet. Are there antiques stores in Mexico? In Yucatan in particular? Flea markets along the lines of the London and Paris fleas? Junk stores? Although I'll be giving up my antiques business when we move, I expect the collecting bug will continue to nibble at my hindquarters. It seems like Mexico ought to be thick with old treasures, given its age and history. Is it? Thanks !!! lynette **I don't mean new stuff flea markets, I am thinking of the old and antique treasures markets common in Europe and parts of the US.

#2 Guest_quintabelina_*

Guest_quintabelina_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Just saw a new antique furniture store on Calle 68 x 59 and 57 I believe. Saw it while riding around and forgot to take down the address but it was impressive from the street. Didn't notice the name, but when I drive down again I will make a point to notice.
I know another will be opening up pretty soon but unsure as to the exact location.

• Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

http://www.yucatanli... ... tiques.htm

#4 wiz1

wiz1

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

There are many antique stores here. For example,I believe that there's an antique store on the corner of 57 and 72 in El Centro, and another one on 23 between 22 and 24 in Garcia Gineres, plus, Alberto's Continental restaurant (64 & 57?) has a nice selection of antiques.

Note that pieces are relatively expensive at these places, since these folks did not just "get off the boat" yesterday. As a 400 year old city, with many well established families and businesses, the antique dealers here are far more astute than typical mom & pop antiques stores in the USA.

The "Hacendados" certainly knew the values of their nice pieces, and their progeny seem to control quite a bit of the local antiques trades. Still, I'd bet that a few people from the outlying smaller pueblos may not realize how much gringos will pay for their old treasures.

I've also seen a brisk trade in reproductions that are intentionally "weathered" to look old. It's amazing what a few months in the Yucatecan sun and rain will do to a modern handmade local reproduction. I might also note that that some of the local shops have things from Villa Hermosa and Vera Cruz (9 and 14 hr drives), so, I wonder if there really are troves of undiscovered antiques here in the Yucatan... (Remember, we're probably the 3'rd poorest state in Mexico, so, relatively few families had nice things, and the "treasures" of the Haciendas were snapped-up or secreted away 75 years ago after the Revolution.)

I really look forward to hearing your professional perceptions after you've lived here a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users