I shOuld read it shine............hick!

#22 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

We brought a 2008 Honda Ridgeline truck with a trailer into Merida last year in October. We had no problems getting the truck and trailer into Mexico and to Merida. We then drove the truck and trailer out, crossing at Neuvo Laredo on Easter weekend of this year. We did encounter a problem with the vehicle number on the trailer, but it was resolved within an hour or so, and we were on our way. We then drove the Honda truck back into Mexico, again crossing at Laredo, a few weeks ago at the end of August. Once again, we had little hassle but there were changes. This time the charge card was actually charged the entry fee plus a fee based upon the age of the truck. I could swear the sign listed prices between $200 to $400.00 USD depending on the age of the vehicle. I haven't gotten my charge card statement yet to see whether the sign was just using the 10 to 1 peso exchange or if I simply read it wrong and it was 4000 pesos which would not quite equal $400.00 USD. I also had to sign a statement in English stating that I understood that I had to notify aduana every year within so many days of my FM3 renewal, or I would forfeit my charge card money. The statement did not say I had to remove the truck within 5 years, only notify aduana upon each renewal. The statement also said that the money would be refunded back to the card it was charged to upon removal of the truck. It did not address what happened if your card had expired prior to your removal.

When the Honda was in Merida during the first entry, we took it to the Honda shop off Paseo for servicing. They gave us a guy who spoke English. We had no issues with service; they had the parts, and we paid cash. My husband got some prices for a Honda CRV and a Fit so we could compare prices. I didn't want to buy in Mexico because of the tenencia (sp). Now that the tenencia is gone, there really isn't much reason not to buy Mexican.

We are debating whether to just buy a CRV next year and drive the Honda Ridgeline out sometime thereafter, or to roll the dice and see if we can get parts whenever they are needed without too much hassle. I guess we will make that call next year.

• Guests

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

Now that the tenencia is gone, there really isn't much reason not to buy Mexican.

Could be. I only know that in Yucatan there is no tenencia for cars valued under 300,000 pesos, with some sort of proportional payment for valuations above that. We had to pay tenencia a month or so ago on the 2008 Yucatan-plated CRV we purchased.

As for next calendar year, I believe the Federal government has waived or ended tenencia, but that states are free to make their own decisions as to whether to charge tenencia in full or part.

Corrections welcomed from those more knowledgeable.

#24 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Okay, that is a different factor to weigh in the equation. The CRV would be charged tenencia but a Fit wouldn't be charged tenencia. Thanks for clarifying that.

#25 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:39 AM

We brought a new 2009 CRV into Mexico when we moved here. We had researched everything both in the Fit catagory and the CRV catagory. We were ready to get the Fit, but decided we wanted the clearance, and cargo room, of the CRV.
We love the CRV and everytime we pull up to a Fit in Merida, we are very happy that we got the larger car.
There have only been a few times that we have had to ask friends to help us with some bulky items that would not fit into the CRV.
If the Fit is to be a second car, it would be great for getting around Merida, or the beach, but it really is small for hauling stuff.

• Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

So we are thinking of shipping our 2005 Dodge Caravan from Panama City to Progresso in November. Can we bring it in on a Tourist Visa or would we have to get our FM3 before we come? Or can we bring it in on a tourist visa and get our FM3 after? Do you need to renew every year if we don't bring it back, but nationalize it in its 10th year?

• Guests

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

Frosty, please see http://yucalandia.wo...-car-in-mexico/ for a well researched, currently valid answer to your questions.

#28 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

So we are thinking of shipping our 2005 Dodge Caravan from Panama City to Progresso in November. Can we bring it in on a Tourist Visa or would we have to get our FM3 before we come? Or can we bring it in on a tourist visa and get our FM3 after? Do you need to renew every year if we don't bring it back, but nationalize it in its 10th year?

Frosty,
A whole bunch of expats are holding their breath to see what changes are in store with the new Immigration Law Regulations, which are supposed to come out by the end of November. We sure hope that both new INM categories of Visitante and Residente Temporal will be allowed to keep foreign plated cars and pickups under the new system.

Mexconnect reports are saying that some Aduana border checkpoints are bow setting up Temporary Import permits that are renewed every year with your INM visa, but only up to a maximum of 5 years. We'll all know a lot more about this in November.

See this link for more information about INM's changes: New Immigration Law Published for Mexico

#29 panda

panda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Just confirming that as of November 1st you can register 2003 and 2004 foreign plated cars. As per our lawyer you can also register older vehicles but the cost is more than it would have been if you had registered it in the year that it was 9 or 10 years old. Ball park cost could be around $30,000 pesos.

Also confirmed that we can drive a foreign plated vehicle with an FM3 lucrative visa (or whatever the new name will be) as it is a non-inmigrante visa.

Haven't decided, still considering our options.

#30 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Please tell us the details, when you decide. The official Diario Oficial listings still only list the 8 & 9 year old import option as applying to the special free zone: Baja California, California Sur, and part of Sonora, so this opportunity sounds interesting.

If the taxes/duties are 40%, then it would seem better to wait for the 10 year window. If the taxes/duties are 10%, then it would be attractive for some.

#31 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

fishin,
I've been playing with the VIN calculator linked at Yucalandia and it is amazing the range of prices that come back. An 8 yo car came back at around $1200 US and a 10 or 11 yo (I put in so many, I don't remember) car was over $3000 US!

What I did was just do a search of car sales sites in the USA that show the VINs, then put those VINs into the Mexican govt calculator. Interestingly, VW Jettas, which are made in Mexico can be imported from the USA to Mexico and not Golfs (Brazil) or Passats (Germany). Jettas had some of the lowest import fees, if I remember correctly. I think the highest of those I checked was a Ford Focus that was not exactly 8 or 9 years old (more like 10 or 11).

cars.com
carsdirect.com
carsforsale.com
autotrader.com

Steve's Car Import Quotations link to MX Govt site
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#32 panda

panda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

That seems to confirm what my lawyer had said that if you wait longer to nationalize (past 8 or 9 or is it 9 or 10) than it will cost you more.

#33 danguiano

danguiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

The ten year rule that has become legend is now void. It can be eight years old now. Like my profile states - most of the information on this site is inaccurate. The laws changed this July.

#34 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

The ten year rule that has become legend is now void. It can be eight years old now. Like my profile states - most of the information on this site is inaccurate. The laws changed this July.

Yup that happens, always a good idea to see how old a post is and of course TIM and experiences and interpretation by authorities you deal with may vary.

I thought you could always import and nationalize any car less than 10yrs old. The issue was how much tax you would have to pay if it was not exactly in the 10th year?

Are the import duties now the same for a 8, 9 and 10 year old car?
BBQ Master for Lizard Joes AY AY AY!!!
www.lizardjoes.com
http://www.facebook.com/lizardjoes

#35 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

The information was accurate at the time it was written, so a fairer term is "outdated" not "inaccurate", which may appear to be a reflection on the writer.
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#36 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

I think the confusion now is that vehicle owners have "options," rather than a flat 8 or 10 year rule and no "what ifs" after that - so the poster has listed one of the options as the be-all-and-end-all of importing vehicles, while Chris and Steve are discussing several of the actual options and their various associated costs.

#37 danguiano

danguiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yup that happens, always a good idea to see how old a post is and of course TIM and experiences and interpretation by authorities you deal with may vary.

I thought you could always import and nationalize any car less than 10yrs old. The issue was how much tax you would have to pay if it was not exactly in the 10th year?

Are the import duties now the same for a 8, 9 and 10 year old car?

I was quoted 32000MXP and 34000MXP to transfer my 2003 Jeep Wrangler from two different brokers. A bit steep - but we'll see - maybe. I don't know what the variation is based on age.

#38 danguiano

danguiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

The information was accurate at the time it was written, so a fairer term is "outdated" not "inaccurate", which may appear to be a reflection on the writer.

True - but even the the Mexican authorities don't have a singular answer most of the time. LOL

It seems most things here live in a huge "gray area", and it's a matter of perseverance and luck to get the appropriate response of service accomplished. IMHO : )

#39 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

With these kinds of costs. I'm not sure why anyone would bring in a vehicle and nationalize it. Why not just leave it as a "foreign" vehicle and make sure you have all the right docs. The risk is that a foreign plate will make you a potential target for police stops, however if all your ducks are in a row, should be no problem.
Saludos

#40 danguiano

danguiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

With these kinds of costs. I'm not sure why anyone would bring in a vehicle and nationalize it. Why not just leave it as a "foreign" vehicle and make sure you have all the right docs. The risk is that a foreign plate will make you a potential target for police stops, however if all your ducks are in a row, should be no problem.
Saludos

Not an option for me. I got my citizenship. I keep my tourist visa current to keep the vehicle. No FM3 - not long term vehicle association. Citizenship has benefits - except for this.

A friend basically told me - think of it like this. You are buying "your own car" down here for $2500 dollars. Chances are - you won't get a better deal than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users