#1 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

Re: cajuns y creoles

Khaki, Today someone called me swamp trash! Can you believe it!?! I let them know very quickly that I'm creole, not cajun swamp trash! Thank you, I will enjoy my creole tomatoes................

#2 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:43 AM

Re: cajuns y creoles

Khaki, Today someone called me swamp trash! Can you believe it!?! I let them know very quickly that I'm creole, not cajun swamp trash! Thank you, I will enjoy my creole tomatoes..............

OMG !!! LOL I absolutely canNOT imagine such a thing... bless your heart... I'll bet you went up like a rocket... LOL

Yes - we are French Creoles - HOWEVER... If I'm going to eat ANYthing that's overloaded with cooked tomatoes, its going to be at Commander's Palace or you can forget it... LOL How about that? genetically programmed location too! LOL

Sweetie - I really AM sorry somebody said that to you... but I'd pay good money for a ticket to see their face when you exploded... LOL

#3 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

LOL, no I didn't explode, but they did get a good lesson on the creoles and the cajuns. Oh man, what I wouldn't do for a long brunch/lunch at Commander's.................

#4 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

LOL, no I didn't explode, but they did get a good lesson on the creoles and the cajuns. Oh man, what I wouldn't do for a long brunch/lunch at Commander's.................

... not to sink the homesick knife in a little deeper - BUT... today IS Sunday, you know... just close your eyes and envision Sunday brunch at Commander's Palace.... LOL
Double click on the menu and you'll get a pdf copy you can save forever... :)

but if you don't feel like getting dressed up and don't mind waiting in line outside - there's always Mother's.

homesick yet?

#5 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

This thread is beginning as a place holder for a conversation that needs to be moved off topic - but I hope it will develop into a place to collect recipes that are common to Yucatan and her neighbor across the Gulf.

disclaimer: I am a Louisiana French Creole who happily chucked my culture's cooked tomatoes in favor of Cajun file' and lived happily ever after.

#6 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Chris - here are a few "blackened" recipes.

Recipe Source is worth its weight in gold. More than a decade ago, UC-Berkley did an ethnicity study throughout the entire U.S. One of the byproducts of that study was a massive collection of ethnic recipes. Its HUGE and there is something there for everybody. Check out the Recipe Source Index.

#7 Meridamondo

Meridamondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

I haven't taken the time to check out the recipes yet.

Totally impossible to get anything close to creole or cajun food in the Yucatan. A fried oyster po-boy, a simple bowl of dirty rice, crawfish etouffe, turtle soup, the cravings never end. Ahhh,and the taste of beignets and coffee after a night out slumming in the quarter......... Perhaps one day I'll reminesce about salbutes and panuchos from Chenbech...........

#8 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

If you found beignets here in Progreso/ Chelem/Chuburna they would probably taste of fried fish or be cooked to a hard shell.

You would not go to Paris or Naples for barbecue, would you? Enjoy the Poc Chuc and dream.
"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#9 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

You can't do it that way. Loving the food in Yucatan is one thing... but comfort food is a whole different animal. Any time I suffer from an occasional bout of homesickness, I just make a big pot of something from home and invite the neighbors over to eat. Its the best medicine for homesickness in the world!

#10 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:09 PM

re: homesickness..... I'd just like to make some popcorn that stayed crispy tasting for a little bit, without getting soggy/soft so fast. :lol: Yeah, my tastes are cheap...
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#11 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

re: homesickness..... I'd just like to make some popcorn that stayed crispy tasting for a little bit, without getting soggy/soft so fast. :lol: Yeah, my tastes are cheap...

:D

#12 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

Carol and Paul at Tacomaya made beautiful beignets. Its been a long time and I don't know if they make them on a regular basis or not, but they were great.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#13 stiffbrit

stiffbrit

Expert

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hola Joanne, Glad you liked the Beignets, sorry though, it was a one off experiment that we tried, the sugar dirties the oil too quickly. I think we made them at one of our Funky Markets where we try to do something different from our normal menu. We are having an Oktoberfest funky market tomorrow the 25th 10 am to 3pm where we will be serving all beef hot dogs with souerkraut, Jambalaya with assorted sausage and Italian pannini sandwiches. Come for the food or the market or both, you will have a good time. :)
governing myself accordingly:biggrin:

• Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Wow I miss beignets and chickery coffee.... I also miss Central grocery and their muffaletto.
I also miis blackend red fish!!!

#15 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Wow I miss beignets and chickery coffee.... I also miss Central grocery and their muffaletto.
I also miis blackend red fish!!!

I am 64 years old. I went to college early (USL) but had a suite-mate who was from NOLA. We all went home with her on weekends. That was back in the days when it was safe to sleep on Jackson Square. We lived off of sardines and crackers from Central Market unless it was the week we got our allowances. Then, I married at 18. At the reception, as we took that last picture before heading off on our honeymoon, I had a bag of Luzianne in my hand... If that isn't a photo for posteriry, I don't know what is... LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users