Yolisto Joins Yucatanliving.com And Yucatanyes.com

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#1 workinggringa

workinggringa

• Moderators
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

We have just announced that YoListo.com has joined the family and is one of three websites (the other two are Yucatan Living and YucatanYES ) now owned by Strategic Holdings. What do you think?

We're new to this so I'm posting this topic to get your feedback... and to try my hand at starting a new topic :-)!
Working Gringa
a.k.a. Ellen Fields
www.yucatanliving.com
www.eclectech.com

#2 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

We have just announced that YoListo.com has joined the family and is one of three websites (the other two are Yucatan Living and YucatanYES ) now owned by Strategic Holdings. What do you think?

We're new to this so I'm posting this topic to get your feedback... and to try my hand at starting a new topic :-)!

Could you explain further? Was the site sold to you?

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#3 Malcolm

Malcolm

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hi all!

As most of you know, Jillian and I returned to the United States in August of last year, and have been doing our best to administrate the site remotely, since then. It has become clear, though, that we are no longer the best candidates to serve the site effectively; that Yolisto is at it strongest when under the stewardship of someone "on the ground" in Yucatan.

As our members know, Yolisto was founded under the idea that no one can more effectively share information about Yucatan than the people who are living there every day. We believe that, as expatriates, we are all experts, and all have good information to share.

When it became clear that I was no longer the best person to continue to help the site grow and evolve, the Working Gringos immediately sprang to mind. In the last several years, and through their sites, Yucatan Living and Yucatan YES, they have established themselves as the best collection of online resources for anyone considering a move south of the border. I am proud to have Yolisto among that list of websites.

I want to thank everyone for the hard work, time, and energy they devoted to Yolisto over the last several years. It has been a great pleasure to watch this community take shape, and I am proud of the small role I helped play in that development. I can't wait to watch what happens next.

Thank you all very, very much.

Malcolm and Jillian

"Breaking Hips and Sailing Ships Since 1978"

Casa de Awesome
Completely renovated, two bedroom, two bathroom long or short-term beachfront vacation rental in Chelem. Affordable. Privately owned and owner managed.
Click for details and availability.

#4 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Expert

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hello, Working Gringa,

Yolisto is in good hands with you folks at the tiller. As you know, and I guess everyone else can know as well, when Mexico Bob retired from the Web biz, I came to you to host a couple of my sites. I was so pleased with your work, I had you host one more site, unrelated to Mexico or Yucatan.

Now if you can talk to Mexico Bob and see if he's willing to give up the old Merida Insider content, you'll have my eternal gratitude.

-- Josh

Now Available Everywhere!
The Man Who Owned a Wonder of the World: The True History of Mexico's Chichén Itzá
By Evan J. Albright
A Pickwick Book, from Bohlin Carr Inc.

#5 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I guess the first change was to capitalize the l?

So far the content has been all community driven. Do you see that changing?

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

• Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

I, for one, am grateful for the capital L :P

Also to have parents again. Whew! Unsupervised, we were somewhat adrift.

M&J&baby2be... good luck with the goats and chickens or whatever all y'all are doing out there in ice cold Maine. Oh, I guess that might be how the baby ... ?

#7 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

There's a good article on Yucatan Living that probably has the answers to most of the questions anybody would have about the merger. That article is HERE.

#8 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

I am a little concerned by the following statement. We are not announcing any plans to change YoListo in any other way right now. Which leaves that line open to be interpreted as, we will change it in the future. When some of us pitched in to save Yolisto when the servers died, we were told we would no longer see advertising banners, will this still be true?

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#9 JohnnySunrise

JohnnySunrise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

Well I for one have sat silently by enjoying and reading the articles and reply messages everyone has posted of the last couple of years. I figured I better join the group finally and put something on here. I have been reading Yucatan Living for quite some time, it is informative and we have gotten many ideas from that website as well as this website and it's forums, we have also kept up with things while we were away for the last 13 months. I hope that it continues. If the way Yucatan Living is run is any indication as to the way YoListo will be run, I am confident that we will be okay. Congrats Working Gringos.

#10 chuburnaman

chuburnaman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

First of all thanks to Malcolm and Jillian for all the tireless work to make this site productive for all new and established members of the Yucatan community. I am sure you will watch its future development with interest. Congrats on the expected new addition and be sure to share the blessed event with everyone here.
Lastly as stated above. Hopefully Yolisto will continue to be a place we can share information and experiences with everyone in the community.

• Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

Unsupervised and adrift..............
As far as the need for parenting, the only person I've ever heard use fowl language on Yolisto was Lynette!
I fear this is going to become a commercial site aimed more toward Meridans.
But I fear not, there is always Facebook.
And I understand you're point Steve.

• Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Unsupervised and adrift..............
As far as the need for parenting, the only person I've ever heard use fowl language on Yokisto was Lynette!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLGqIqwNk9k

#13 workinggringa

workinggringa

• Moderators
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello, everyone!

First of all, thanks to Malcolm and Jillian for creating YoListo in the first place (and yes, I'm responsible for the capital "L"). We've all known each other since the beginning and have watched each other grow... we are grateful that they chose to pass YoListo on to us and we will do our best to continue to support it in the manner to which it has become accustomed. And thanks to everyone who has given us a vote of confidence so far.

We have no plans to change YoListo at the moment... but yes, as new owners and people who like to grow and change, we think there might be changes in the future. Don't you? Some of those changes might even be ones that you, the community, initiate. We have no desire to interfere with what works... we meant it when we said "the greatest good for the greatest number". Will that include advertising... most likely it will, as YoListo has to support itself just like the rest of us.

At the moment, we want to learn and understand. We want to hear from you what works and what doesn't and what might and what most likely will not. We'd like to hear what you do and don't prefer.

In case you're wondering, WE prefer that our conversations be kept on the same respectful and positive level that we try to keep things on Yucatan Living... and beyond that, the sky is the limit. Let's create something even greater together!

We're all ears...
Working Gringa
a.k.a. Ellen Fields
www.yucatanliving.com
www.eclectech.com

#14 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for a seamless and fully functioning transfer of "ownership" and "operations" here at Yolisto!!

I hope that the freedom of sharing information will still continue, as well as all the usual foolish banter.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#15 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

I fear this is going to become a commercial site aimed more toward Meridans.

Sheeeeshh..... :unsure: Meridanos aren't so bad, are we? :D And what about the rest of Yucatan?

" YoListo: Yucatan's international community "

Sounds good to me! :P

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#16 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

Casi...you folks who live in Merida are a tough bunch!!! All that traffic and heat and rain and humidity???

I'll take the beach any day!!! :lol: :lol:

Driving Through Mexico

#17 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Welcome aboard, Working-Gringos !

Hopefully yolisto-ites will find that WorkingGringos (WGs) run things really well, as shown by at least 5 years of running their very good Yucatan Living website.

For those who are worried about change: Didn't Malcolm change things a number of times? Malcolm promised to never use our personal information for anything, and inside of 2 years he changed his position and pushed to require all Yolisto subscribers to have Facebook pages that include personal information. Malcolm promised to run the site without ever using our personal email addresses and to never charge $ for using the site, then within 2 years he sent unsolicited emails to our personal email addresses asking for donations with the explanation that he would shut down the site unless people ponied up enough cash to cover changes. Hopefully, no one holds grudges over Malcolm's changes. Malcolm also made major changes in the site's appearance, in the topics, and in site operation policies, all to keep things running well.

Overall, Malcolm kept things running, giving people a fun place to interact, ask questions, poke a little fun, express opinions, and get some good information. Thanks Malcolm! (And CONGRATS on the baby on the way!)

Change seems to be the nature of organizations that continue to grow and adapt to changing conditions. The best we can do is to look at someone's track record before judging them: WGs have made good continuing commitments to creating one of the best expat internet communities in all of Mexico, and they've made very good ongoing contributions to Merida and to Yucatán, successfully weathering some tough times here.

If WGs run YoListo as well as they've done with Yucatan Living, I think we'll look up a year from now and be pleased with how things have gone.
fishin'

• Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

Things change. I've read the working gringos site and like it so I'm optimistic it remains the best regional forum in Mexico. Mexconnect takes on the whole country and does a fine job. I travel all over Mexico and many of the other forums are just terrible. With all of our differences on Yolisto, it's still a great place to get info and connect with other people in the area.

#19 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Casi...you folks who live in Merida are a tough bunch!!! All that traffic and heat and rain and humidity???
I'll take the beach any day!!! :lol: :lol:

The beach has lots of attractions. I just get bored after awhile. It's great for refreshing breezes... but after a bit, the breezes whistling in my big ears gets me all antsy. The quieter spaces are nice. But I like being able to walk to whatever I need or have it coming by my front door. Of course, the rumors are the carpenters on the beach are better.... ;) Never say never!

Meanwhile, we'll try to tone down the tough guy talk and just be... chilled out. Beach style! :D
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#20 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

LOL Casi...We, obviously, like the beach area.

BUT where does everyone head for "stuff" that is not available here...Merida, of course!!!

The breezes whistling thru the empty spaces in my head don't bother me much...Nothing in there to bother!!! LOL

And I agree.."NEVER, SAY NEVER"... that will always come back to bite ya on the butt. Sooner or later!!!

Driving Through Mexico

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AlimaMub