21 replies to this topic

#1 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

If you live out here at the beach, or you just want to come out to a great restaurant, the Yakunah has just changed over to a new look and a new menu.
Those who are familiar with the restaurant, located within the Yakunah Hotel, know it's location is one of the nicest garden settings in Progreso. They are adding a second palapa to extend the covered dining area and allow dinners to sit even closer to the gardens.
The restaurant will now be open Tuesday through Sunday from 8am to 7pm, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Mondays will be breakfast only.
Starting this Saturday night there will be a happy hour from 6 to 7, and live music. This will continue through to next Spring.
The menu now includes homestyle dishes. There is also a large selection of local, Tex-Mex, and specialty salads. Dinner will also have a daily special.
There is a full service bar, with plenty of bar stools for those who just want a nice place to spend some time with friends.
Speaking of friends, my recommendation for the Yakunah is for my friends who now run the restaurant, so I am a little biased, but I don't think anyone would be disappointed coming out for a meal.

• Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Sooo............who is running the restaurant now, Judy?

#3 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

Jim and Elke are now running the restaurant.

• Guests

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Is Gerben still there? We stayed at Yakunah for 10 days when we first started house hunting. Very nice.

#5 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Is that the former Casa Quixote?

-- J.

Available only in Yucatán:
The Man Who Owned a Wonder of the World: The True History of Mexico's Chichén Itzá (abridged edition)
By Evan J. Albright
A Pickwick Book, from Bohlin Carr Inc.

• Guests

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Yes

#7 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:16 AM

Gerben has moved, but will be in the general area, and starting new projects.

#8 anne2225

anne2225

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

I feel sorry for Gerben .............
http://yucatandreamproperties.com find your dream property today!
We offer professional real estate services in Yucatan Mexico.
Our service goes beyond selling real estate, we can help you with building permits, new construction, renovation to American/European standards for
Mexican prices!

#9 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Why? Is he unhappy with this arrangement?
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#10 bluelacey

bluelacey

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Humm, I believe you live in Progreso area and not sure if your question was serious or not ? Gerben put his heart & soul in that hotel - I stayed there for 10 days durning a slow season and got to know him well since there were few quests. He is a very good man and what he put up with is very, very tacky. I saw what was going on and could not believe he put up with it.
I agree with Anne and feel sorry for him as he did not ask for the current situation and it has hurt his family. Some people ... should be ashamed but no - they are flounting 'their new love; - again extremely tacky.
I wish him the best of everything and as for the "love birds" - grow up - you are not teenagers for public display and and hurt serveral families.

#11 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

I appreciate Judy's original post about Hotel Yakunah's new look and menu...

Thanks Judy.

Once opinions of a personal situation appeared...I thought I would say....

Maybe it is time to delete this whole thread???

Please

Driving Through Mexico

Seven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:48 AM

Well............I have to say I know and like them both. And yes this is an unusual situation............
soooo..................Im gonna stay on the side line and be neutral until I actually know all the facts.

#13 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

OK...sooooo.... I started this with mixed feelings.. and was not surprised when things went to a personal level.
If you re-read what I wrote you will see that I was very careful in my wording.
Jeff and I are friends with all involved. We wish all of them the best in life GOING FORWARD, and have said this to all involved.
Please take what I wrote as an affirmation to a beautiful restaurant, some very wonderful people, and accept change as a constant.
Feeling sorry for someone is not a positive thing, and puts the person at a disadvantage for the next phase of his or her life. Great things will come out of this because the people involved ALL have the potential to be great.
I agree with Dave, that it's time to end this, and powers that be --feel free to remove this thread.

#14 CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

I have fond memories of the hotel when it was Casa Quixote. It was one of the first places I stayed on my first visit to the Yucatan. My wife and children came with me, the last time, I believe, we all traveled somewhere together.

At the time the hotel was run by Curtis, who had recently split the sheets with his wife and business partner. By the time we were at the hotel, I'd pretty much had it with Yucatan. Nothing made sense. Even the hotel address was crazy -- as I recall it is on a street that is both Calle 21 and 23.

When I came out for breakfast, Curtis was there and I shared with him my frustration. "If it doesn't make sense, check your passport," he said to me. Yucatan doesn't have to make sense, he told me, but it makes sense to Yucatecans. His advice was to stop trying to figure things out and just go with the flow.

I found his counsel liberating. Haven't seen him since, but hopefully he'll read this, and know I am much obliged for those few words. Unless, of course, this thread is deleted. Frankly, there is no reason it should be. It's not the people, it's that damned building. It's like that hotel in The Shining, except that instead of killing people it kills relationships.

-- Josh

Available only in Yucatán:
The Man Who Owned a Wonder of the World: The True History of Mexico's Chichén Itzá (abridged edition)
By Evan J. Albright
A Pickwick Book, from Bohlin Carr Inc.

#15 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yakunah is listed for sale with one of the local real estate firms.
By the way, do they have their new menu posted on the internet somewhere? Couldn't find it on their website . . .

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

It has been for sale for over a year.

#17 dilsteruk

dilsteruk

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

so are you jimonthesidelines rather than jiminchelem now?
we own Casa Rosa, comfortable beach front accommodation in Chelem. http://www.casarosamexico.com/ 

• Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

In stating the fact that they (Elke & Gerben) have had the hotel up for sale for quite a while,
hardly removes me from my seat on the sidelines and I'm still jiminchelem!

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

I actually think what goes on in ones personal life is no one elses business. Cause if you don't live there you don't know the whole situation. What might appear one way, could have been caused by multiple problems.

#20 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Kathleeng,
Well said.
BTW--the desserts are wonderful.You rock!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users