21 replies to this topic

#1 Dahmel

Dahmel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

If you buy the small paper wrapped packs of fresh totrillas and are less then a family of 6 then you most likely have the issue of left over tortillas. They will dry or not be as tasty as fresh ones. Here is an idea to save food waste and create a healthy affordable meal. Take the semi dried out tortillas(maize)and chop them into small squares. Put a little oil in your pan and start making scrambbled eggs. First you can add onion and some peppers(spicy or garden green peppers)add chopped tortillas, maybe some salsa and then eggs. Sprinkel cilantro on top and it is done. The tortillas will re-hydrate and add nutrition to your morning diet. It also streaches your eggs and adds some nice carbs.

#2 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Sounds yummy! You can also follow local customs: cut into quarters and air dry them in the sun (or your toaster oven) for nacho chips, like many families and restaurants (ever notice how some chips are not greasy). Dogs and turtles also enjoy them (imagine my 80 yr old suegra out in the patio, jiggling a tortilla and calling, as the turtles come a runnin'). Then when your homemade nacho chips get stale, you can make chilaquiles.

#3 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

I freeze leftover tortillas until I have enough (8 - 10) for chicken and dumplings.
I do all of this in my crock pot.
Cook and debone a chicken (no need to season, as soups are seasoned)
the next part can be cooking while you debone the chicken
add a can of cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup to the stock
add a can or so of water and stir until smooth
cut tortillas into strips and add to stock - they swell up and make beautiful dumplings
add deboned chicken
Simmer until tortillas (dumplings) are done - then season to taste.

Serve with a couple of vegetables and some great bread and you're done. No heat. No mess. Very little work.

You can make it even easier by using a rotisserie chicken.
(by the way - this is recipe is for use with flour tortillas, not corn tortillas)

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

I find they make great frisby's, however the dog eats them up instead of returning them!

#5 dinalew

dinalew

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Chilaquiles por favor! We like the Tampiquenos version in Diana Kennedy's Essential Cuisines cookbook (copied below). Enjoy.
D.

Sauce
8 oz. tomate verde
3 poblano chiles charred, peeled, seeded and veined
2 sprigs epazote
3 springs cilantro
1/3 medium white onion, chopped
salt
Blend ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth.

1 T. oil
1 c. chicken broth
Heat oil in skillet and fry the sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring. Add broth & cook for one minute more.

Add 12 tortillas that have been cut or broken into 6 triangles each. Bring to boil and cook them, stirring, over medium head until most liquid has been absorbed and tortillas are *just* softening.

Serve topped with with queso fresco, chopped white onion, sliced hard-cooked eggs, sliced radishes and chopped cilantro.
<p>Dina Lewis</p><p>Washington, DC</p><p>dina@distilledlogic.net</p>

#6 Dahmel

Dahmel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

I have also made my own version of Mexican lasagna using old tortillas as well. I layer a pan with tortillas, make a tomato salsa, some form of meat(usually chicken or ground beef with cumin, cheese and maybe crema on top. Bake it in the oven and you have a nice meal using about 10 tortillas.

#7 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

If you get your hands on some fresh* dogfish, you can also make pan de cazon.

*Even a hint of the ammonia or trimethylamine flavor/odor makes a less-desirable pan de cazon. This is why pan de cazon can be either wonderful, so-so, or a bit nasty.

#8 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

If you get your hands on some fresh* dogfish, you can also make pan de cazon.

*Even a hint of the ammonia or trimethylamine flavor/odor makes a less-desirable pan de cazon. This is why pan de cazon can be either wonderful, so-so, or a bit nasty.

Dogfish, like most sharks, have no urinary tract and secrete urine via their skin. Dogfish need to be bled and skinned as soon as they are caught and the meat washed otherwise the meat gets tainted with bodily secretions. Dogfish also tend to accumulate heavy metals in their meat, so eating the big ones can be an issue over time.

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840 www.aerocretosdemexico.com 999-955-0503

• Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

I NEVER eat dog and fish in the same meal................

#10 ELNIDO

ELNIDO

Expert

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

I freeze leftover tortillas until I have enough (8 - 10) for chicken and dumplings.
I do all of this in my crock pot.
Cook and debone a chicken (no need to season, as soups are seasoned)
the next part can be cooking while you debone the chicken
add a can of cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup to the stock
add a can or so of water and stir until smooth
cut tortillas into strips and add to stock - they swell up and make beautiful dumplings
add deboned chicken
Simmer until tortillas (dumplings) are done - then season to taste.

Serve with a couple of vegetables and some great bread and you're done. No heat. No mess. Very little work.

You can make it even easier by using a rotisserie chicken.
(by the way - this is recipe is for use with flour tortillas, not corn tortillas)

I love this recipe. I'm going to try it tonight.

#11 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

Dogfish, like most sharks, have no urinary tract and secrete urine via their skin. Dogfish need to be bled and skinned as soon as they are caught and the meat washed otherwise the meat gets tainted with bodily secretions. Dogfish also tend to accumulate heavy metals in their meat, so eating the big ones can be an issue over time.

Whazzoo

Your explanation is the best one I've heard to explain why pan de cazon can be so variable: some yummy & others... unnngh... not so nice. I've tasted either ammonia in some and trimethylamine in others, with only a few being really good.

People will often call the meat "shark", but cazon is dogfish - a bottom feeder - and tastes different that the open water pelagic sharks like mako et al ~tiburon~ .
fishin'

#12 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Your explanation is the best one I've heard to explain why pan de cazon can be so variable: some yummy & others... unnngh... not so nice. I've tasted either ammonia in some and trimethylamine in others, with only a few being really good.

People will often call the meat "shark", but cazon is dogfish - a bottom feeder - and tastes different that the open water pelagic sharks like mako et al ~tiburon~ .
fishin'

If we are talking about the same dogfish (Cazon) pictured here they actually are a variety of shark and are extremely aggressive predators of bait fish like sardines and herring.

If bled and skinned ASAP they make great fish and chips. If not bled and skinned ASAP they taste bloody awful.

Whazzoo

General Contractors

#13 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Whazzoo

That is truly interesting. Who knew?
Apparently our very own Whazzoo....
Ah, the fond memories I have
of my grandmother's trimethylamine stew!
:blink: :D

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#14 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

That is truly interesting. Who knew?
Apparently our very own Whazzoo....
Ah, the fond memories I have
of my grandmother's trimethylamine stew!
:blink: :D

The Mercury contamination could explain your fondness for colours, too................Posted Image

Whazzoo

General Contractors

#15 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

You could always glue them together, paint them black and use them as a hockey puck.

#16 Dahmel

Dahmel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Tostadas. You can take old tortillas and fry them in vegetable oil. Making them blond and crisp. You can top with refried beans, som chopped meat, onion tomato, alvacado. The crisp tortilla makes for a good vehicle to carry the other ingredients to your mouth.

#17 bombero

bombero

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Tostadas. You can take old tortillas and fry them in vegetable oil. Making them blond and crisp. You can top with refried beans, som chopped meat, onion tomato, alvacado. The crisp tortilla makes for a good vehicle to carry the other ingredients to your mouth.

This is one of our favorites. We also add shredded lettuce and drizzle it with sour cream. mmm mmmm!
"If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one."

#18 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

We glue a stack of them together with left-over refried beans and then use it as a hockey puck in the driveway.

Hockey here looks a different than the way it does at home:

Attached Files

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#19 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

We glue a stack of them together with left-over refried beans and then use it as a hockey puck in the driveway.

Hockey here looks a different than the way it does at home:

Probably an interesting game once the beach dogs realize what is happening
"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#20 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

The dogs generally play defence

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

0 user(s) are reading this topic