92 replies to this topic

#61 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

This is not where Adolfo reallizes that his shoes need to be polished?

"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#62 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

What did I do? I'm not the one that highjacked this thread. :unsure:

Your posts were perfect: pointing us to why some of us come here - to the things that are important - like your dad buying the hotel on the beach=> "Where to Find the Things You Need" .

#63 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've never cooked a redneck - what tienda carries them?? are they ready to cook or do you have to pluck them first - I understand that they are tasty but a bit greasy.

Does that get us back to the tienda topic???? :P :D

#64 bombero

bombero

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I've never cooked a redneck - what tienda carries them?? are they ready to cook or do you have to pluck them first - I understand that they are tasty but a bit greasy.

You can only find rednecks in their natural habitat. Nobody has successfully raised them commercially yet. Something to do with not being able to get a good supply of derelict car bodies, old sofas and broken toilets.
"If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one."

#65 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Rednecks in their natural habitat: (off topic again!)

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#66 yucatanhopeful

yucatanhopeful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Now I can seriously tell you where to find a redneck. There are redneck glory holes all around me. Thing is, you have to have the right kind of grill to cook them. The broken down car or the old toilet will work nicely. Was going to post a pic, but they are all bitmaps and I didn't want to go to the trouble of reducing them because that would cause me to have to forfeit my "queen of doing nothing" status. So if you are interested in building a redneck grill, you will just have to google the images. :P
“If you play a tune and a person don’t tap their feet, don’t play the tune.” – Count Basie

#67 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Here you go

#68 yucatanhopeful

yucatanhopeful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Here you go

I was thinking more of the one using the shopping cart and the one in the toilet. I guess since the toilet is ceramic it works more like a "Big Green Egg". That is another thought, can you find the clay or ceramic cookers in Mexico. I would think with all the pottery making they do, they would have them. See, I am still follownig the where can you find it theme.

“If you play a tune and a person don’t tap their feet, don’t play the tune.” – Count Basie

#69 yucatanhopeful

yucatanhopeful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I was thinking more of the one using the shopping cart and the one in the toilet. I guess since the toilet is ceramic it works more like a "Big Green Egg". That is another thought, can you find the clay or ceramic cookers in Mexico. I would think with all the pottery making they do, they would have them. See, I am still follownig the where can you find it theme.

#70 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Many are often hairy fellows so a razor may work better than plucking. They are usually only available at the local tienda if they have attempted to flee the policia after a evening of heavy beer drinking and hell raising. And FYI Greasy = Tasty :P
BBQ Master for Lizard Joes AY AY AY!!!
www.lizardjoes.com
http://www.facebook.com/lizardjoes

#71 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

From my perspective, these videos make me understand why rednecks can relate to some of the locals here. Both know anything can be converted into a pickup, a motor can be mounted to anything with wheels or wheels can be added to anything with a motor, anything that won't catch fire can be used as a grill :P

P.S. I headed for the junkyard and buy me a new inground pool for the backyard
BBQ Master for Lizard Joes AY AY AY!!!
www.lizardjoes.com
http://www.facebook.com/lizardjoes

• Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

There are redneck glory holes all around me.

Seriously? :P

#73 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Depends on your definition of "glory hole"

#74 yucatanhopeful

yucatanhopeful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Depends on your definition of "glory hole"

MY definitian is where you can find the most concentrated numbers. As in a fishing glory hole. What were YOU thinking?

#75 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

P.S. I headed for the junkyard and buy me a new inground pool for the backyard

My neighbour has a broken tinaco you could bury for a pool - might have to line it with garbage bags so it will hold water, though. Probably get it cheap - it fell off his roof when they were installing it.

Just trying to get away from the "redneck" glory hole discussion. Just scary!!

• Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

MY definitian is where you can find the most concentrated numbers. As in a fishing glory hole. What were YOU thinking?

Wayuuulllll ... there are whole websites devoted to where you can find the nearest glory hole. Is that what you were thinking? :lol: *

*I admit to a lifelong fascination with glory holes, having spent an evening in a tiny wooden booth at a local "adult" entertainment spot, hoping someone would stick their "glory" through one of those padded holes in the wall. So the cop I was with could arrest the glorious one.

#77 yucatanhopeful

yucatanhopeful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Wayuuulllll ... there are whole websites devoted to where you can find the nearest glory hole. Is that what you were thinking? :lol: *

*I admit to a lifelong fascination with glory holes, having spent an evening in a tiny wooden booth at a local "adult" entertainment spot, hoping someone would stick their "glory" through one of those padded holes in the wall. So the cop I was with could arrest the glorious one.

Ah noooo that is not what I had in mind, but there are probably alot of those around here toobeing this close to an army post.

#78 nebinkwe

nebinkwe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

We used to kill a pig every year when I was a kid. Nothing like scalded pig skin to put a kid off her feed. Temporarily, anyway. Once they'd start cooking head cheese and scrapple, I was back on it. :P I'd much rather participate in hog butchering than plucking birds of any kind. Eeeeew. Those teensy feathers and the limp body in hand. Ick.

Breakfast Posted Image

Lynette:
When I was 7-8 years old, the Chinese family who lived next door were owners of their own restaurant, and on a daily basis I would watch with awe (and some trepedation)as mom, grandma and the little 3 year old (Paulina) as they butchered the live chickens in their side yard. grandma would slit the throats, Mom would bleed them into a container (for what, I don't know; didn't ask! I don't think that they ever spoke English!) and little Paulina would chase the wee creatures as they ran around (I knew then that the expression 'running around like a chicken with it's head cup off' was true and not just an expression!!) to capture them and bring them to her father and grandfather for a dunking into hot water (I know now it was to help remove the feathers and pin feathers - I wondered back then if that's how chicken soup was made!! lol!) It took me quite a while after that to eat anything made with chicken, or to even go back to eating 'chicken balls'! OMG!!
Growing up, I also watched my grandparents bleed a pig or two to make home made 'boudin' (blood sausage - which to this day I CANNOT even think about without hearing a pig squealing in protest as his life blood squirted into a container held to it's throat, and then watched in horror as grandma made head cheese and croton with the head and other parts of the pig! Can't even look that stuff either! I suppose that had I not seen the whole process from farm yard to the table 1st hand I might have been happy to live (and eat!) in complete ignorance!! Oh well! I'm just happy that I didn't get to know those pigs or give them names, because I probably would have become a vegetarian (which, in northern Ontario, Canada, would have put me in the loonie bin!!) I grew up eating (and loving!) moose meat, partridge, beaver, wild hare and many other wild meats!! IGNORANCE REALLY IS BLISS!!
Sometimes in life, you never know when you're going to be handed a bunch of 'limons', but, living here in the Yucatan, you can make some pretty awesome Margaritas with those limons!! It's all in how you learn to 'roll with it' as they say! "Bottoms up, I believe I'll have another Margarita, por favor!"

#79 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Lynette. this remembers me of an old redneck recipe a Georgian friend of mine gave me : Possum stew.

Ingredients:
two cans of tomato sauce
three cans of cooked tomatoes

1/2 thickly sliced worthog meat (mainly for flavor)

a big bag of pasta noodles (any redneck kind will do)
1/2 possum (other 1/2 can be used for breakfast possum-omelettes)
salt and pepper
Directions:
Fry bacon in big gramma kettle, over mid. size fire, then fry possum in the grease till golden brown. Take the meat out, then add enough water to pot to fill 2/3 way and then boil noodles. Once cooked add both things of tomatoes to kettle and meat and add enough salt and pepper to old granny's taste. Cook all together for a bout 1 hour simmering over low fire to sautee.

Now if you can't get a hand on possum, any roadkill will do as good as long as you shovel it up
in your pick-up the same day it was ran over (break tracks or freshness of blood splatter are the best freshness detection methods.

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#80 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

We always used to mark a chalk circle arong the ones that was in the road on the way to church, then pick up the ones with no chalk marks on the way home.
"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users