32 replies to this topic

#21 YucatanStarTours

YucatanStarTours

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

In case that is a fact, we are both Mexican nationals and non nationals, so we are covered.

#22 ASUAAN

ASUAAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

In case that is a fact, we are both Mexican nationals and non nationals, so we are covered.

Well not realy the lawyer is correct you can get in to trouble by the federal law and they can take your car and take you inn because you need a federal license and a federal plate in your car this is the reson why the tours charge lots of money plus you need a insurance special insurance well this is if you want to do it the rigth way.. if not then you dont need nothing ahahahah

#23 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Remember - at this point, they are not a "real" business yet. These "tours" are really just friends and their new friends who are sharing the cost of transportation and food as they visit different places on the peninsula... But, I'm sure these issues are valuable input for them and will, no doubt, have an effect on their pricing when they actually do open their business.

#24 dilsteruk

dilsteruk

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Remember - at this point, they are not a "real" business yet. These "tours" are really just friends and their new friends who are sharing the cost of transportation and food as they visit different places on the peninsula... But, I'm sure these issues are valuable input for them and will, no doubt, have an effect on their pricing when they actually do open their business.

All very true, and this is what we thought about doing, but if you have a accident and someone gets hurt friends can behave in a very funny way if the police start to push them or they get hurt! just saying that's all
we own Casa Rosa, comfortable beach front accommodation in Chelem. http://www.casarosamexico.com/ 

#25 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

All very true, and this is what we thought about doing, but if you have a accident and someone gets hurt friends can behave in a very funny way if the police start to push them or they get hurt! just saying that's all

Agreed - this is very much a "grey" area (no pun intended) and needs to be carefully organized and documented. Definitely need some legal advice even though it's intended as a "no profit" exercise, if things come off the rail there could be heart-ache. Best to find out before venturing too far.
Saludos

#26 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

fishinisfun45, I might have to get your contact for Whale shark tours if we are going to be handling more tours to Holbox or Contoy. I assume they work out of Holbox?
We have set our date for this trip but knew we would not be able to fit in a whale shark tour.
We would do a trip to the free zone. Since it is a longer haul, maybe a stopover in Bacalar? Then hit if the shopping the next day and bring our booty home.
Have you been the the free zone? Friends of mine have and say it is hit or miss. Lots of plastic stuff and fakes but you can fine a deal.

Yes, I have been to the tax free zone on the way to Holbox - which I think you have confused with the tax free zone in Belize.

The tax-free / duty-free shopping zone for Yucatan is not really out of the way on one typical route to Chiquila/Holbox. The tax-free shopping is in a town on the border between Yucatan and Quintana Roo - less than 1 mile from the Mex. Hwy 180 and Kantunikin-Chiquila road. It's nowhere near as big as the zone in Belize, but it can offer a few bargains.

The town is called Nuevo X┬┤Can - and has shops with goods sold with no IVA (no Value Added Tax - no State tax) - and takes about 2 minutes to drive out of the way from a Hwy 180 route to Holbox. The handful of shops there do not have the selection of all the stuff in Belize's free trade zone, but it's a pleasant break in the driving and we like to get Edam and Gouda queso de bola cheese there - right on the Hwy 180 libre road - low overhead and no taxes can make their things substantially cheaper than Merida prices.

#27 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

hummm... point well taken... My niece had a house-warming party when she moved in her new house - our mean old uncle let the screen door close on his thumb and sued her! So what to do in case of accident is certainly something to think about... maybe a "hold harmless agreement?" I'd ask a lawyer too - just in case.

#28 YucatanStarTours

YucatanStarTours

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

It is good to get all the advice and input. For now we are fully covered and insured and then some. When we do become operational we do expect to comply regulations. We have a three year plan now that starts with doing tours and then opening small unique hotels throughout the Yucatan that our guest can use as a base for travels. Most likely giving the tour business to one of our partners as a payoff for working hard and a way for them to own their own business and hopefully succeed.
It is just the beginning and we look forward to your input. We hope to pass on some of these unique finds and write reviews so we can explore together the Yucatan.
I will have to look into the free zone X'Can. I have seen it but did not realize what was there.

#29 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

I think some of you are forgetting that it's very difficult to sue for personal damages in Mexico. Too much of an US mindset from some posters.
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#30 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Re: We have a three year plan

Your members are young - level headed - willing to start from scratch - and you have a plan... it can't get any better than that! I wish you all the luck in the world.

#31 Centroboy

Centroboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

I tried starting a service-oriented business by offering my skills for free, just asking for my costs to be covered, and sadly it just gave me grief. Customers don't trust free, and the offer gets you the wrong kind of clients to beging with. The whole experience just left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it's psychological, but clients trust you more if you're commanding some sort of price. Perhaps you can do some dry runs on your own, learn the lay of the land, and then charge the public. But don't just give it away.

#32 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

You never know what you can or can't do in Mexico until you try. When your ready go to the permit office and see what they have to say about your business idea. In fact why not start the process. Unless the permit is cost prohibitive why not? Getting our permits for Lizard Joes took lots of time and patience but was not nearly the nightmare or impossibility that people told us it would be
BBQ Master for Lizard Joes AY AY AY!!!
www.lizardjoes.com
http://www.facebook.com/lizardjoes

#33 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

It's not difficult to sue in Yucatan or Mexico. You just get a lawyer and tell him to sue.

Winning or getting out of the counter-suits whole after several of years of being billed by the lawyers and all sorts of schemes that you couldn't dream up if you tried, that is difficult. Since both (sane) parties are loathe to get involved, there are fewer suits.
However, NOB tour clients may have a NOB attitude more than not.

A bigger issue than a private lawsuit might be if there is an auto accident with either free or paid clients in the tour vehicle. The police or attorney general may be headaches in that case: as soon as a passenger says "tour" at an accident scene.... not sure I'd want to be involved.

So, there's one area you'd want to be sure you've researched and insured against, to the greatest extent possible. A stitch in time saves nine. :)
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users