• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 avons

avons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

We are thinking about joining either sams or costco, but we are not sure which would be more benefit. We used costco here for food only, but my father-in-law swears by sams.

thank you

#2 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

six of one, half dozen of another. You can count on learning of a bargain on an item that you really need or want at the one you are not a member of.

However, if you are an affable and flexible individual, you can probably catch on with a member at either store and sponge off their membership for at least one trip each.JMHO
"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#3 dilsteruk

dilsteruk

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

We paid to get a Costco card and will not be renewing it, Dont think there is anything in that shop you cant get in walmart, or Chedraui and both are free to use
we own Casa Rosa, comfortable beach front accommodation in Chelem. http://www.casarosamexico.com/ 

• Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

In my opinion Costcos food quality is better than Sams.

#5 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

In my opinion Costcos food quality is better than Sams.

I agree. The meat, while expensive, is very good quality. Other items also seem to be better brands, more expat oriented, and a bit more on the healthier side of food.
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#6 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

We use both for different things.
Sam's has great sales on wine and spirits.
Cosco has better food in our opinion.
We comparison shop both places for big ticket items, and each has come in lower than the other over the years. Always lower than Home Depot for the things we have needed.
We find that just several trips at each store and the cards have paid themselves back.

#7 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Avons...Quite a few couples or singles split the cost of the cards. Cuts the cost in half and both couples can use them.

Chedraui, Walmart and Superama all carry a good selection of things that ex-pats desire too and as karen said, they don't require a membership.

Driving Through Mexico

Six years snow free, and counting!!!

#8 anne2225

anne2225

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

we have both: Sams and Costco. they have nice garden furniture and costco has other items than Sams. You might have a look first in both stores before buying a membership.
http://yucatandreamproperties.com find your dream property today!
We offer professional real estate services in Yucatan Mexico.
Our service goes beyond selling real estate, we can help you with building permits, new construction, renovation to American/European standards for
Mexican prices!

• Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Generally electronics are cheaper at Sams. We just bite the bullet and get membership at both places. I really don't care if the cost of membership pays for itself. Some things are only available at Sams or Costco so we treat ourselves accordingly. Not going to make my life LESS comfortable over $500.00 pesos a year.

#10 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Generally electronics are cheaper at Sams. We just bite the bullet and get membership at both places. I really don't care if the cost of membership pays for itself. Some things are only available at Sams or Costco so we treat ourselves accordingly. Not going to make my life LESS comfortable over $500.00 pesos a year.

I agree. Why agonize over such a minor decision? Just get both.
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#11 cinlo

cinlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

We love the Kirkland albacore tuna in cans at Costco. The can is filled practically with a whole fillet, rather than tiny chips of tuna most of the local grocery stores have. You almost get two cans worth of tuna out of one can. Their canned Alaska Salmon is also very good. We also get the 6 packs of SW brand stewed tomatoes (tomates guisados) and the 12 pack of SW tomato paste. I NEED those things for my homemade spaghetti sauce! Also, we've been getting sharper cheddar cheese at Costco lately.

We also have Sams, but it seems like we actually buy less and less there.

#12 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Costco is much better for food. If that's all you will be buying there, then get the Costco card. If you will be buying electronics and household items you may want to check out both stores before you decide which you will buy at and get the card for that store.
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#13 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I got my lounge chairs, charcoal barbeque grill and flower pots at sams club. I buy my meat and tomato paste, tomato sauce and other food items at costco. Cleaning supplies I buy wherever. I always check out the electronics for the sales. Both sams' club and costco have their advantages, but it shifts depending on the time of year and the items. The last time I was down, costco had a sale on plants. I bought about twenty plants that were for sale at costco for 250 pesos each when the nurseries for selling the same for 450 per plant. For the cost of joining, it is worth belonging to both. They actually are within ten minutes of each other if you know how to get from one to the other.

• Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Costco's balsamic vinegar is far superior to any other brand we have tried here but Sam's olive oil is better than Costco's. Such a dilema.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users