27 replies to this topic

#1 avons

avons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hello

We are looking for store, where we could buy computer components (like computer cases, Monitors). We are taking the inside of our computers, but I will need to rebuild them. We looked at department stores they don't sell them. Or at least they don't show them online.

Thank you

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

There is a good store on the second level of Gran Plaza. Computer8
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#3 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

hummm... I know next to nothing about the "guts" of my computer... but I know this... the dumbest thing I EVER did was plug an English keyboard into a computer that was running on Spanish Windows... blew it UP! ...and not one single expat had a copy of Windows in English back then - so the computer I was using had to be reformatted with Spanish Windows and I had to learn to work on a Spanish keyboard. Not fun when you have deadlines!

Hopefully, this question makes at least semi-sense... do all peripherals (mouse, monitor, speakers - even printer) work like the keyboard? If peripherals are originally manufactured to be plugged into an "in Spanish" Windows, would a computer blow its top if somebody plugs in peripherals made to be plugged into "in English" Windows?

Depending on the answer to that question, would avons be able to bring a computer running on Windows in English and then plug a "made in Mexico for Windows in Spanish" monitor into it?

Since my incident with the keyboard, the subject has never come up again for me. Since then, I have always driven my entire computer system to Yucatan. The computer case fits perfectly on the floor in the back seat and, covered with a quilt, gives the big dogs extra leg-room for sleeping on the way down.

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

Don't know all the answers YK, but I've used a spanish key board on my english pc
and it worked just fine, except for having to learn what all the keys do differently.

#5 stormy

stormy

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Linda teaches Spanish and French, does most of her work in English, we have Spanish, French and English key boards that all get a workout when the task calls for it. Nothing has "blown up" yet.

#6 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Your keyboard issues did not have anything to do with Spanish Windows. That's one of the funniest things you have ever posted. A PC peripheral is a PC peripheral. I would have like to see it blow up though. Hope you had a fire extinguisher handy.

#7 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

I agree with Chuck. I have a "bought in Mexico" printer and scanner. Both work fine with my "bought in Canada" laptop.

Driving Through Mexico

Six years snow free, and counting!!!

#8 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

:blink: I don't know a thing about computer guts - or what works with what. When my incident happened, I had just moved into the city from the beach because we could finally get net service at houses near a few servers in the city. At the beach, we were still limited to the server and a couple of hit and miss net cafes in Progreso. Not too good if you needed to work for a few hours. Expats needed to check their e-mail and hogging the computer was unfair. Some Yolisto members remember those days... :) and, I have to tell you - we're talking WAY back in the dark ages of Internet service in Yucatan. When this incident happened, I was at a Meridana friend's house, using their computer until I could get service at my new house. Their computer was working fine but I had a deadline and no patience for the Spanish keyboard... so I plugged in my English keyboard and raced toward ending the article... and the screen went black and that was that... one of the few times I have ever missed a deadline. A computer repair person was called to come from one of the maquiladoras. He had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows... and all I know is what he told me. Which is why I asked the question.

Good to know that those kinds of things don't happen anymore. Thanks, Ya'll... :)

#9 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

There are specific keyboard layout files embedded in the operating system. In older versions, these were less "flexible" than in the Plug-and-Play era. And keyboards use embedded chips or circuitry with different signals. Before Plug-and-Play and USB connections, it is possible such things could happen.

Even with XP, there are specific language restrictions on the operating system and there may be issues because of the chips in the keyboards (those which use old PS/2 type connectors) being incompatible with the Windows version. Outside of the USA, Windows versions may not be "multilingual":

The Multilingual User Interface (MUI) is available only for Volume Licensed English versions of WinXP Pro. For any other type of WinXP license, you cannot upgrade or convert from one language version of the OS to another, so you'd have to purchase and use the full version of WinXP (in whatever language you want) to perform a clean installation.

Keyboard layout issues can even plague XP and USB connections as discussed in various MS Support articles.
Here's one for Japanese USB keyboards: Article ID: 927824

Anyway, going back to Win95, Win98, Win 2000, WinME, or WinNT, the situation was more hardware-specific than after the introduction of USB connectors and MS got Plug-and-Play working well. Printers and all sorts of things had issues "in the old days."
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#10 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

funny you should mention "hardware specific"... back then, I was the proud and clueless owner-victim of a Compaq PC that ran on Windows95... and I (tĂȘte dur in the extreme) defended that thing for years!

#11 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

No matter what the operating system or hardware restrictions, a Spanish keyboard would never have been the cause of a computer blowing up. It's ridiculous to even think that might be a cause.

#12 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Well - that's one man's opinion, I suppose... and the really cool thing about this is that everybody gets to keep their own opinion... :D

#13 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

My post is actually a fact, not an opinion

#14 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

My post is actually a fact, not an opinion

Of course that's your opinion! LOL

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840 www.aerocretosdemexico.com 999-955-0503

#15 reelcrazy1

reelcrazy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Is it allowed to have computer components shipped from US to Mexico? I'm sure duty would have to be paid. I build and repair computers as a hobby for friends and I will be bummed if it is not possible.

#16 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Components are available in Merida, but may not be as cheap as NOB by far.

Sure, you can import the parts, but by the time you pay duty, maybe it would have been cheaper to buy them here anyway.

The other thing is that you can bring in small quantities of things when traveling. A hard drive or circuit board would be no issue, especially if you retain receipts showing the total is less than $300.

Sometimes, the receipt is very helpful. I once brought a packet of gaskets for a friend's engine rebuild. I got the Red Light, so had to be searched. The gaskets raised eyebrows, but the receipt for under $150 got me through with no issue. I taped the receipt to the packet and brought them in my carry-on.

#17 avons

avons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

We have 2 computers. One of them is fairly top of the line, the other is older but usable for basics. The problem is that becauses of the cases are too big can't fit into suitcase, because of the monitors are too big, the mexican government won't let us bring them. Even though I don't want to spend the money on something that we have, and working very well. Don't have a choice. We will bring the components, and I will put them together again. How ever because none of the searches in any of the online store that are located in Merida brought up anything I need, that is why I asked about stores. Here where if I want a deal on something the small private retailers seam to have the price, and items I am looking for.

#18 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

There may be restrictions on imports of goods via airports, but I've never heard that "size of the computer case" is one of them. You can box it up and ship it as luggage (even 2nd checked bag or whatever) for relatively small cost. Meridanos arrive with boxed purchases all the time. Same with the monitors.

If you are coming to live on an FM-3 (or whatever it is called now [FMM?] -- have they completed the new rules yet?), you can ship all sorts of things as household goods, providing you follow the rules. You also have the choice of bringing only the hard drives and "ghosting" the software onto a new laptop or whatever else. There are many solutions. Building a computer from scratch seems to be a complicated one.

#19 avons

avons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Maybe that could be an idea for the cases, but the regulations clearly state that can not bring in any screeen monitor tv greater than 12 inches. For me building computers for meis not a problem, fixing cars I would not even know where to start. I am sure for others the opposite could be true.

#20 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

As a tourist, you can bring 15" laptops, so I don't see where the screen question comes in. 12" If you have a source for the 12" regulation, could you pass that along? Here is the link from the Mexican Government

A personal computer - desktop - can be brought in by you without hiring a customs broker if the value is under $4000 and you declare it and pay duty on the market value (bring some papers to establish value).

I've brought a 17" flat screen monitor in my luggage with no questions asked. And yes, they knew it was in there when they x-rayed my luggage just before the "red light / green light" post. (I also had a receipt showing the price under $300 US).

For your resident visa importation of household goods, there is no such limitation. You could bring a 52" flat screen tv on your menaje de casa or however it is done these days. But for that you need a resident visa. (used to be called FM3 -- now it is an FMM ?.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users