7 replies to this topic

#1 mexicomountie

mexicomountie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

i am looking into a Garmin GPS Mexico Atlas. it says it covers major roads and all city streets in Merida. anyone here have any experience with this or know if it is worth the $100 to have it? says it keeps those major roads, but i don't know how many 'minor' ones might be one the trip. also, waiting on receiving the unit itself, can you set the city you want to go to and it automatically keep you at least going in the right direction? thanks amigos.

• Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

We just recently bought the Garmin GPS and tried it out yesterday on a trip to Tekax. It must use some really old maps as most of the main roads we traveled were not in it's system. It got just as confused in Ticul as I do. It also does not account for 1 way streets in the smaller towns. If I had followed it's directions, I would be in jail. Great to use as a back-up system but I wouldn't rely on it. A compass, signs and " lost, I'm not stinking lost!" are still my best navigational tools. Besides all roads in the Yucatan eventually lead back to Merida.

• Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

Another helpful tip regarding driving in Merida that I learned early on is just about all major roads will lead to the Periferico. The main ring road of the city. If one gets hopelessly lost, hit the Periferico, get re-oriented and try again. A day of great fun is try driving the complete route of the Circuito Colonias. If you can accomplish that, you can drive anywhere with no fear of getting lost.

#4 mhandmh

mhandmh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

We have the Garmin Nuvi Mexico maps bought about two months ago in Canada for our drive here. It's okay. Doesn't know one way streets but seems to name off all the streets in Merida correctly. It even names off all the beach roads, whether the names are correct or not, I don't know. Haven't figured out how to program a destination either as there seem to be a couple of different Calles 39, for example. What it is good for is if you find a someplace you want to remember, you save it, then it's easy to get you back to it, although again it has you trying to go the wrong way on oneway streets to get there but it certainly gets you going in the right direction. Don't know if it is worth the $100 for just around Merida but we were happy to have it for the drive down and now.

#5 wiz1

wiz1

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

For GPS units to provide driving directions within Merida, they need to first be programmed (by the owner?) with specific locations. And then you could query point-to-point directions(?) Since Merida has over 450 named Colonias, fraccionarios etc, most with their own street naming conventions, the GPS companies haven't currently figured out how to deal with all the duplicate street names - not to mention the highly ubiquitous "Sin Nombres" and streets that simultaneously have two names: numbers (Calle 50) and euphemistic names (Cinco de Mayo).

Once they figure that out, maybe they can help US Govt computer programmers sort out Spanish names in their databases: Maria Alba LoroƱo Pino del Farfan - just which one is the last name using US conventions? We've accidentally gotten multiple Social Security Numbers in the US due to this one, and I can't describe how badly IRS databases foul up parent-child relationships in tracking dependency status.

#6 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

We use a Garmin GPS when driving down through Mexico and use the maps that we buy from BiciMapas. They are pretty accurate.

However, we use our Mexican road atlas as our main means of navigation. The GPS is just a back-up.

When we drove down this past fall, the folks who convoyed with us kept calling us on the walkie talkie saying that their GPS was "saying" that a left turn was coming up in 1/2 mile. After 4 years of driving down we knew better!!

If I had relied on verbal instructions from a GPS we would have ended up in Baja California instead of Progreso!!! 8-O

Nothing beats a good road atlas!!

#7 mexicomountie

mexicomountie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

thanks for the input. i might us it as a back-up then. i was going to us it for the 'first time' drive down. coming in for "good" in July and looking forward to it!

#8 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

I have the Garmin Nuvi. As stated, it doesn't recognize the one way streets, but it will get you "home" once it is programed. At night or when you are tired, or when it is raining, this is worth its weight in gold as long as you realize that the street it is telling you to turn at might really be the next street, because of the one way streets. I have slowly bookmarked every place I need, so if you are looking for something and then you say, what about ---- store, maybe it is there, you just hit that bookmark and off you go. All of us have spent hours geting lost, and it does seem to reduce that time driving around trying to find your way to wherever. It makes me feel more secure, and my knuckles don't grip the steering wheel as tightly now. I also carry a map, but the Garmin is worth it's purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users