• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 miamivice

miamivice

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi Folks, I dont know if I am posting in the right page but after my recent trip in the summer I thought I should post my experience on here, so forgive me if I am not in the right place.
I wish I had found this site before I came down cos if I had known this was here I would have asked for realtors to be recommended to me or at least read some posts.
I cant believe how naiive I was to trust a stranger but then him and his girlfriend seemed so professional.
I have always wanted to move country and Mexico seemed like a good place and so I did house hunting on the web, came across a site, dealt with the realty owner in Merida and then I took the plunge and I arranged a visit with the realtor to come down and look with him and he could show us around.
Easy no??? Straightforward no???
I just spent three days in Merida and sadly it was a waste of time and money.
For the first two days I looked at houses and everything was ok apart from the man being very pushy and arrogant but I guessed that was his job.
The second evening I thought he was a bit odd as he tried to over convince me to buy here.
Him and his woman had had a few drinks over dinner and he started to get very arrogant and full of himself.
He told me anybody could live and work here.
You could do anything here.
Look at me, he said, look how well I did.
By then I was getting concerned and wanted to leave.
He bragged that he was AWOL from the US army and had been for 25 years, drove up to Canada, worked in real estate there and never looked back.
I thought he was joking and I laughed until he told me it was the truth and now he is in Mexico he couldnt be touched atall???!!!
Then I started to really have my doubts and got worried.
On the last day I told him I wouldnt be buying and wow was he ever angry.
He told me I couldnt buy with anybody else as I was his exclusive client and nobody else would have me.
Really lost his temper with me.
Then I found out the house he had rented to me in Centro was a house he was selling not his. Oh hell.
It was bad man, real bad.
I just made my apologies and humbly left for the airport.
I am ex army so thankfully it didnt scar me for life but hey man thats not how to do business, not with my money.
So any recommendations please would be apprecitated cos I dont think they can all be like him, can they???Thanks.
I am flying down to Panama tonight to have a look there but I havent closed my mind to the Yucatan.
Be in touch when I get back.

#2 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

Please note that I do not know this poster, nor do I know the realtor.
...and I am not in the real estate business - never was, never will be.

things that make me wonder...

my take-aways from this post include:
This new member:
vacationed in Merida in the summer
came back on 3-day property search
rented house in Centro from realtor (with or without owner permission?)
difference of opinion and values between poster and realtor
left for airport (going home, I assume)
flying to Panama tonight to look there
still thinking of coming back to Yucatan

and has a Merida IP number

#3 YUCARICHY

YUCARICHY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think if "Miamivice" had read the past post on how not to offend a realtor. Just might have had a better experience.
There are some good and some very bad realtors here in Merida.

#4 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Wonder if the realtors name begins with an O'

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#5 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Judging by the description from the OP, it certainly seems to fit the profle of the "O'" realtor to a T.
HOWEVER, this IP thing Khaki mentions is troubling (it could suggest a setup).
I am not technical at all, so here is a question for all those computer experts out there . . .
if someone has a Merida IP address, does that empirically mean their computer is full time located in that city?
Or did the IP "roam" there while they stayed in Merida and it just hasn't relocated itself yet?
Or . . .?
Perhaps Khaki and some of the others computer geeks on this site could help answer

#6 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

If the writer was using internet at the rented house or internet cafe, then it would show a Merida IP. Dynamic IP adresses are given by the host server.

Whazzoo

General Contractors

999-273-0840

#7 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Whazzoo:
It appears the OP wrote the thread from home (he talks about his recent three-day visit to Merida and about going to the airport and heading out to Panama. So I am assuming he posted all this from Miami).
So knowing that he is likely at home once again, does that mean he could still show a Merida IP address?
I did try Googling this issue, but a variety of responses cropped up. Sorry for being so obtuse . . . computers just don't fall into my very limited skill set.

#8 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Whazzoo:
It appears the OP wrote the thread from home (he talks about his recent three-day visit to Merida and about going to the airport and heading out to Panama. So I am assuming he posted all this from Miami).
So knowing that he is likely at home once again, does that mean he could still show a Merida IP address?
I did try Googling this issue, but a variety of responses cropped up. Sorry for being so obtuse . . . computers just don't fall into my very limited skill set.

Short answer is no, as soon as he logged into a new server in Miami then he would have gotten an IP from that server. There are ways of masking an IP but thats a different story. ChuckD could probably give a more detailed explanation.

Whazzoo

General Contractors

999-273-0840

#9 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Whazzoo.
So, it appears that the thread was written from Merida, which does not square with the story recounted by the OP -- a "recent" visit to Merida, going to the airport, going to Panama etc etc.
Does this mean that although the "facts" of the OP's story line up with what is known of realtor "O," it may in fact all be a hoax intended solely to discredit the unnamed realtor?
Perhaps the OP could clear up some of thse questions . . .

#10 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

and its a new e-mail address that's got zero history on the net

... not that that's a "bad" thing...

I had no terms of service reason not to allow the account or the post
but did feel a responsibility to at least say ya'll might want to take a second look and maybe wait for the OP to come back before investing your time in a conversation.

#11 dilsteruk

dilsteruk

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

is it just me or does anyone else feel the same, whats the point of this post if no one names the person or company
we own Casa Rosa, comfortable beach front accommodation in Chelem. http://www.casarosamexico.com/ 

#12 devonalberta

devonalberta

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Agree with dilsteruk - as we will be checking out properties while we are in the area, it would have been nice to know who this "arrogant realtor" is and who he works for! Kinda leaves a suspicious air about the whole posting!!

#13 adamathefrog

adamathefrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Judging by the description from the OP, it certainly seems to fit the profle of the "O'" realtor to a T.
HOWEVER, this IP thing Khaki mentions is troubling (it could suggest a setup).
I am not technical at all, so here is a question for all those computer experts out there . . .
if someone has a Merida IP address, does that empirically mean their computer is full time located in that city?
Or did the IP "roam" there while they stayed in Merida and it just hasn't relocated itself yet?
Or . . .?
Perhaps Khaki and some of the others computer geeks on this site could help answer

The IP address tells you which ISP he was connected to at the moment he made the post. IPs can't "follow" you around (unless you're using a VPN, in which case the VPN provider's IP follows you when you're connected to the VPN, but that doesn't apply here).

The IP address is assigned to the cable/ADSL router every time it's powered on, in general these days an individual computer doesn't actually get a real internet IP address, but a fake internal one because of IP shortages.

adam.

#14 Yucatan4Me

Yucatan4Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Short answer is no, as soon as he logged into a new server in Miami then he would have gotten an IP from that server. There are ways of masking an IP but thats a different story. ChuckD could probably give a more detailed explanation.

Whazzoo

I change my IP address many times a day.  At this moment I'm in Aruba, earlier today I was in the Cayman Islands, and this morning Argentina.  I do that so the dog gone ISP's and Search Engines don't track my every move and give me bogus search results.  I got sick of it!  Stop trying to decide what I want to buy, where I want to buy it, and how much I should pay!!!  Yes, the algorithms are that sophisticated.  It's easy, very very easy but you have to do a lot of computer "cleaning" ALL the time.  Search for a virtual IP provider, they are rated and ranked and many are free if you want to put up with ads and data limits.  The services are in demand by computer users and they are competitive.  I can do the same thing with a phone number. I really hated using TOR and/or other anonymous browsers; too many restrictions and limits to keep your IP hidden.

What draws me in is that a trip is a leap in the dark. It's like a metaphor for life. You set off from home, and in the classic travel book, you go to an unknown place. You discover a different world, and you discover yourself. Paul Theroux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users