10 replies to this topic

#1 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

In case some of you don't know, there is a girls' school outside of Merida for girls who are orphans or who have parents but the parents are unable to take care of the girls. This year, I believe there are fourteen girls. I received this email today, posting the girls' book wish list and other things they would like to have or help they need. Here is the email:

They now have a Wish List of things they would like on Amazon - So if you are traveling between the US or Canada and Merida, check this out;
http://www.amazon.co...wl_search_bin_1

If you’d like to work with the girls directly they could really use help in learning English, and No, you don’t need to know Spanish.
There is a need for help with girls in varying grade groups –
Grades 1 and 2, 4 girls
Grades 3 and 4, 6 girls
Grade 6, 2 girls
You can pick the age group you want to work with, and the day of the week Monday through Thursday, but the available time frame is from 2-3 in the afternoon. Tricia, the Director has a curriculum for you to use so that there is no need to have that, and it provides continuity and a progression.

Assist with driving on outings

Participate/lead games, sports and dance day

Teach art for short-term courses

Maybe academics aren’t your thing – On Thursdays, from 4-5 you could come and do sports or games with the girls.

And for a short term commitment opportunity they need help in painting, repair and maintenance--especially the dorm room

The girls all sleep in hammocks, and could use sheets, any size will work, and new or used, but in good repair.

If you find you would like to help with any of these opportunities please contact Tricia, she speaks English and Spanish, at pjpipkin@mac.com

Another important feature of HNV and the girls education is the HNV Computer Lab.

One of our Friends of HNV, Steve has cobbled together 2 working computers. These computers have limited capability.

And

There is no internet access therefore these machines only allow for the girls to learn very basic computer skills. The lack of internet also does not allow for the girls to do some of the research required for their homework needs.

Our ideal Lab would have internet access, at least 3 working desktop or laptop pc’s, and several Tablet computers, as well as some self help computer skills books, in Spanish.

So here are several opportunities for you to help these girls –

Do you have a computer or laptop you could donate?

What about an old iPad or Tablet, maybe you’ve recently upgraded yours?????

Could you pay for several months of internet access?

How about an external cd/dvd player for utilizing instructional dvd’s?

If you find you would like to help with any of these opportunities please contact Tricia, she speaks English and Spanish, at pjpipkin@mac.com

If any of you would like to help, it sure would be appreciated.

• Guests

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

We have been helping out Hogar Nueva Vida for years. Nothing has been more gratifying than the small amount time and effort we can provide. The are some gentlemen from the Merida Men's Club who pick up donated vegetables from Cosecha (located in Garcia Gineres)once a week as well as painting the buildings a few years ago. We get invited to their Halloween party and every other year I get to play Santa Claus(my proflie picture). This is one charity that keeps on giving.... not taking.

#3 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I will mule down any books or anything else that is purchased. Please email me if you would like to help, and I will PM my address. I am in and out about every six weeks.

• Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Some guys from the Men's club are arranging to get the dorm rooms resurfaced and repainted. Should be done in a month.

#5 CarmenToo

CarmenToo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Please tell us where it is and how to drive there. Gracias!

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Please do not expect to just show up at the centre. There are strict rules that must be followed. If one would like to help please send an email to the director listed in the original post. She will respond.

#7 CarmenToo

CarmenToo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Of course I would not just show up! I am asking where it is in order to decide to what extent I can volunteer in person or simply donate items once a year, or whatever. Logistically, it may not be feasible to go there frequently from Chelem Pto. Gracias!

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

The centre is located on Calle 119 at 58. Your best option is to contact the director by email. She will be able to help you decide what is good for you and them.

#9 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

I see that Hogar Nueva Vida now has a blog (click on the link), in English, with information about their activities and needs. It sounds like a great organization!

Sorry for the link problem (thanks for posting the correct link Canejo): http://hnvmerida.blogspot.mx/

#10 Canejo

Canejo

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

dugin, I couldn't get your link to work. Maybe it's something on my end.

http://hnvmerida.blogspot.com/
Canta y no llores

#11 debik

debik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hogar Nueva Vida is not an orphanage, these girls have families, their reason for being in the house vary but mostly it is due to disadvantaged or difficult home situations. One example is a young girl whose both parents died, she and her brothers went to live with the grandparents, then last year the grandfather died, the grandmother is struggling, taking in laundry and ironing, this opportunity presented itself for the girl to come to Hogar.

The new Director is open to our help, but needs to protect the girls security and privacy. There are several options to work with the girls, teaching English, Art, Dance, and Sports opportunities, If you have good Spanish you could even mentor them.

http://hnvmerida.blogspot.mx/

There is an orphanage, and I know they could use help also - Amor y Vida, they have a facebook page
https://www.facebook...8832180?fref=ts
unfortunately I don't think they have an English speaking interface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users