Photo

Come Rico Cocino Economico (Eatery Review)

restaurants cocino economico breakfast lunch Santa Ana Barrio food to go take out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MelBell

MelBell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Looking for a relaxed bite to eat out or take out? Check out the menu posted here. Restaurant Come Rico is a little enclosed patio Cocino Economico that is a step above the usual Cocino Economico. Fair prices, good food. English/Spanish speaking owner. It is located in the Santa Ana Barrio area of Centro in Merida. Address is: Calle 35 #507 X 62 y 72, Centro. Calle 35 is an off shoot street of Reforma. The restaurant is within the first block off Reforma.

We ordered mushroom turnovers and pork turnovers. On the menu they are called empanadas. Tea we ordered came bottled. Rafael Olmedo, the owner was very excited to explain how all the food ingredients are carefully selected or made fresh each day. The inside of the mushroom turnover was so-o-o tasty. Definitely hot, fresh ingredients, plump, clean taste bursting with flavor. The pork turnover was very good and seemed to be a chorizo mix of some kind. The empanada crusts was tasty and a little heavy for my liking, but I would definitely order the empanadas again.

Rafael speaks fairly good english and is open to food discussions. His wife and mother-in-law are the Chefs. My husband and I tried the place because the open air setting is comfortable and in all the months I have walked by the restaurant looked well kept. The food took a little while to show up and Rafael came out and explained that all food is freshly cooked when ordered and this was the reason for the wait.

The menu is pretty extensive and they have take out. Definitely want to try some other tasty tidbits and will be ordering from this place again. If anyone else tries this place, please list your take on it.

Here is the menu the owner sent: Attached File  Cocino Economico, Come Rico.rtf   13.52KB   23 downloads

Rafael asked that I also share this week's specials below (english version is from online translator):

Additions to the Menu for this Week Are:
2 hot dogs by $20,00; hamburger with frenchfries $30,00;
For the vegetarian, Tip los Trompos 30,00;
Brazo de Reina $30,00;
papatzules (4) $25,00;
Panuchos(stuffed tortillas) (3) $25,00,
Swiss Enchiladas (4 with chicken and cheese au gratin) $35,00,
POT OF LENTILS, $ 40,00 C/OR
WE CAN DO SPECIALS FOR YOU. We CAN DO STEWS OF YOUR PREFERENCE
FOR SPECIALS PLEASE NOTIFY US IN ADVANCE
Nuestros tels. 2892776 and cel 0449992964659

Original spanish email is below:

COMO COMENTAMOS LE ADJUNTO EL MENÚ, al cuál hay que incluirle los platillos adicionales
de esta semana son :
2 hot dogs por $20.00; hamburguesa con papas a la francesa $30.00; papa vegetariana al horno (tipo los Trompos) $30.00;
brazo de reina $30.00; papatzules (4 ) $25.00; panuchos (3) $25.00, enchiladas suizas ( 4 con pollo y queso gratinado) $35.00, MOLE DE OLLA, POTAJE DE LENTEJAS, $ 40.00 C/U
TAMBIEN ESPEIALMENTE PARA UDS. PODEMOS HACERLES GUISADOS DE SU PREFERENCIA SOLAMENTE NOS AVISAN CON UN DÍA DE ANTICIPACIÓN
Nuestros tels. 2892776 y cel 0449992964659
Agradeceré me confirme de recibido
Saludos
Rafael Olmedo

#2 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Address is: Calle 35 #507 X 62 y 72, Centro.

Could you please confirm the address? 62 y 72 is not like 62 y 64.

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840 www.aerocretosdemexico.com 999-955-0503

#3 Theresa

Theresa

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Rafael asked that I also share this week's specials below (english version is from online translator):

Additions to the Menu for this Week Are:
2 hot dogs by $20,00; hamburger with frenchfries $30,00;
For the vegetarian, Tip los Trompos 30,00;
Brazo de Reina $30,00;
papatzules (4) $25,00;
Panuchos(stuffed tortillas) (3) $25,00,
Swiss Enchiladas (4 with chicken and cheese au gratin) $35,00,
POT OF LENTILS, $ 40,00 C/OR
WE CAN DO SPECIALS FOR YOU. We CAN DO STEWS OF YOUR PREFERENCE
FOR SPECIALS PLEASE NOTIFY US IN ADVANCE
Nuestros tels. 2892776 and cel 0449992964659

Original spanish email is below:

COMO COMENTAMOS LE ADJUNTO EL MENÚ, al cuál hay que incluirle los platillos adicionales
de esta semana son :
2 hot dogs por $20.00; hamburguesa con papas a la francesa $30.00; papa vegetariana al horno (tipo los Trompos) $30.00;
brazo de reina $30.00; papatzules (4 ) $25.00; panuchos (3) $25.00, enchiladas suizas ( 4 con pollo y queso gratinado) $35.00, MOLE DE OLLA, POTAJE DE LENTEJAS, $ 40.00 C/U
TAMBIEN ESPEIALMENTE PARA UDS. PODEMOS HACERLES GUISADOS DE SU PREFERENCIA SOLAMENTE NOS AVISAN CON UN DÍA DE ANTICIPACIÓN
Nuestros tels. 2892776 y cel 0449992964659
Agradeceré me confirme de recibido
Saludos
Rafael Olmedo

You might want to "translate" two items I marked in red to:

Vegetarian baked potatoes,( Los Trompos style). - I assume that means made like they do at the Los Trompos chain, not made in the manner of the child's toy (a trompo is a top, also the name of the apparatus they use to grill al pastor).

Mole de Olla (this one I have problems with, it could be homestyle mole or mole stew, I'd probably just leave it as mole de olla),

Lentil stew (or Lentil Pottage) $40 each

Enchiladas suizas are what I think of as (plain ol') chicken enchiladas.Since in my experience NOB, the beef and/or cheese ones have a red sauce and chicken has white, I probably wouldn't translate that one either.

regards,
Theresa

#4 YUCARICHY

YUCARICHY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Whazzoo, 62 and 72 are just 1 block apart there.

#5 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Whazzoo, 62 and 72 are just 1 block apart there.

Ok thanks, i will have to try it out.

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840 www.aerocretosdemexico.com 999-955-0503

#6 tabulalabore

tabulalabore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Me too - sounds like my kind of place

#7 MelBell

MelBell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Yucarichy for clarifying the address. Theresa, thanks for the suggestion about translation. Unfortunately or fortunately, I translated what I was secure in doing. The stuff I did not translate is because my spanish is not up to speed. What I posted is what I know. I have not tested/tasted the rest of the menu. I listed this place because I have tried some Cocina Economicas and had a not good experience. Sometimes the food is okay but the owners are rude or cold. Other times the food is just not that good. Then there is the charging for bad food. I keep trying. When I find a good tasting, clean, honest meal at a fair price in a welcoming atmosphere - that is what I want at a Cocina Economica. Hope others find it fits the bill also.

#8 rfairbro

rfairbro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Is this the place?

http://goo.gl/maps/7QCD5

In all the years we've been driving in Merida, I don't think I've ever driven down this street, although driving past it on Reforma hundreds of times. Since I didn't have much to do, I google drove down it. It's quite easy to find. If you're heading north on Reforma, you drive past the police station and at the glorieta where the Extra is, turn right (east). It's several houses down the street on the left (north). We'll have to give them a try when we are there since it's not that far from our house.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Rob

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restaurants, cocino economico, breakfast, lunch, Santa Ana Barrio, food to go, take out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users