42 replies to this topic

#1 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

For all those who are in the Progreso beach areas right now or are operating rental or other businesses aimed at snowbirds:
I have heard that rental prices in seasonal homes are dropping, that only the cheaper rental accomodations are filling up or the better ones are going for a song, that snowbirds are not coming to the beach areas as much as they used to and that therefore the local snowbird business / rental market is struggling.
I know it is a little early in the snowbird season, but so far, what are you seeing and how does it compare to other years?
Are there fewer or more snowbirds coming and how are things looking for the coming winter season?
What are you folks seeing on the ground out there?

#2 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I suspect this is one of those issues in which the answer to the question really depends on who is doing the answering. Most of the people I know at the beach have repeat renters, so open rental markets really don't affect them very much. In the city, I know people who have small hotels and B&B's with the same situation. Some never have a vacancy - even have trouble getting time off for themselves... while others consistently have occupancy problems. Overall, I have not heard any rumblings of a struggling rental market.

#3 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

We are fully booked and turned down a lot of requests since we don't have any space available. Some of our winter bookings are repeats, but some new. Our turndowns were mostly from people that had not stayed with us before. Fall was a little quieter this year than the last few years.
OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
http://www.vacationr...tals/15073.html Progreso
http://www.vrbo.com/315962 Costa Rica

#4 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks YK and Chuck. A question specifically for those owning beach houses along the coast who rent to snowbirds --- are they as busy this winter as normal and are their rental fees holding or are they having to discount their prices to attract guests?
If they are dropping their rental fees, why do they think they need to do this? Is it because there is more competition from an increasing number of owners - perhaps with newer, nicer homes with more amentities - or do they think guests are vacationing and wintering elsewhere?
I am hearing that snowbirds just aren't coming in the large flocks anymore and that this has been happening for several years now, although, I'm sceptical. What you are seeing or experiencing?
(So far, Chuck and YK say things look much the same to them)

#5 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I know a lot of people think airfares are just way too much money. But that likely affects casual tourists more than longer term snowbirds.

Some talk about real estate sales improving over a very slow year overall. I don't know anything specific about the longer term rental market, but those are some side issues.
{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#6 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I can only report on the folks we know. At least 95% of them are either here already or are going to be arriving at their usual times (Jan. Feb. Mar.) I am refering to the Progreso/Chicxulub corrider, which is probably the most densly populated area when it comes to Snowbirds.

Driving Through Mexico

Seven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#7 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

This may alleviate some of the air-fare issues: http://www.theyucata...nada-and-italy/

Bookworm, we don't discount our rates. We have in the early days, and found most of those pressuring for a discount turned out to be a pain in the ass, and we would have preferred not to have them as guests

#8 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

This may alleviate some of the air-fare issues: http://www.theyucata...nada-and-italy/

Bookworm, we don't discount our rates. We have in the early days, and found most of those pressuring for a discount turned out to be a pain in the ass, and we would have preferred not to have them as guests

It seems the traits you mention, apply to every business. :( They want the world, but don't want to pay for it.

Whazzoo

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840 www.aerocretosdemexico.com 999-955-0503

#9 abscissa

abscissa

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

That would be nice if we get a direct flight into Merida from Canada ...

#10 Diva

Diva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

That would be nice if we get a direct flight into Merida from Canada ...

If only we could convince Sunquest to start up their charters to Merida from YYZ again ? sigh....

#11 abscissa

abscissa

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

or WestJet

#12 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I hope you'll forgive the tangent: it's a shame that almost no people with ME ("Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome") or Fibromyalgia, know they'd have a good chance of quickly going into remission in
this entire part of the world. A lot of them might visit and live here. Almost no doctors even know that but it's the truth.

#13 shadow1326

shadow1326

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Great news for us this year. A direct flight from Thunder bay to Cancun.

#14 ouraybound

ouraybound

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

paulbe....i had never heard this either, are you serious?

#15 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I hope you'll forgive the tangent: it's a shame that almost no people with ME ("Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome") or Fibromyalgia, know they'd have a good chance of quickly going into remission in
this entire part of the world. A lot of them might visit and live here. Almost no doctors even know that but it's the truth.

I think this is on the wrong thread. (unless it impacts snowbirds, I guess)

#16 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

paulbe....i had never heard this either, are you serious?

Yes, I´m serious. Most people with ME ("Chronic Fatigue Syndrome") go into remission when close to tropical seas. Unfortunately,
patients usually don´t know or believe this because almost no ME doctors have admitted to the location effect.

#17 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

At least people in many small Canadian cities now have the option of flying West Jet, to/from their
home city, into Cancun (as opposed to having to fly from Toronto, for example.)

If only we could convince Sunquest to start up their charters to Merida from YYZ again ? sigh....

#18 Bookworm

Bookworm

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

You folks all have your ear to the ground (we don't arrive for another eight days, but who's counting, heh heh) . . .
Are you hearing that cruise ships are coming to Progreso half empty and that the vendors on the malecon are not only suffering badly, but that their numbers have dwindled to almost nothing. I was told that last Sat. night (Sat. before Xmas), there were only three vendors on the malecon.
I am being told by a very worried snowbird friend that the place is "almost empty" of snowbirds and tourists, that more than a dozen homes immediately around his Uaymitun rental are empty and that of the ones rented, the prices have dropped.
For examplem he cites an "all new" (not sure if that means reno'ed, new or new furniture) five bed place with live-in staff in Uaymitun is going begging for 2 grand a month with no takers.
It all sounds pretty worrisome for the locals. Do any of you know what gives?

#19 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I don't know that the cruise ships are "half empty", but there are definitely a lot more who are bussed away to other locations than in past years.

Ever since the "renewing" of the Malecon, it has been pretty sterile looking, with no vendor stalls allowed.....UNTIL last week....Now, it seems that the town is allowing a limited number of uniform looking stalls for local vendors to use/rent. They will be set up on cruise ship days and weekends.

The "new" Malecon is definitely not as appealing as the "old" one, in the opinion of many regulars. There isn't that "this is Mexico" feel anymore.

All of the "usual" snowbirds that we know are either here now or will be in January. No one that we know has stopped arriving, except for health/death reasons.

Just my opinion, but 2K/month for a place in Uaymitun sounds kinda high, considering that most places between Chicxulub and Progreso can be had for around half that price, and no vehicle is required. Most returning snowbirds are retired and don't need a 5 bedroom place either. We live in a 4 bedroom home and except for the ocassional week here and there, we use one bedroom to sleep in and another is set up as a computer room.

Driving Through Mexico

Seven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#20 abscissa

abscissa

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Bookworm ... I agree with Dave the Malecon has been dead since they renewed it. Don't know about cruise ships half full.
Our place is rented right now .. everyone (expats) that should be in SC is there and they seem to be spending money on renos and such.

I hit the ground 8 days just after you. Tell John to work on his chops ... jam session on the 19th or 20th ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users