31 replies to this topic

#1 sandgc

sandgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hola,

We have met many wonderful people in the Progreso and Chelem area. We so enjoyed all of you that we met on our recent trip.
, I have created a fundraising website to raise money to purchase refurbished laptops for the schools of Chelem. I would like to enlist all of you who live in the yucatan, dream of living there, have relatives that live there or just would like to help, to please check out our page and share using your facebook, twitter and email accounts. Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/2boq3o to view, donate and share. The more you share, the bigger the impact we can make in the area.

When the money is raised and the computers are acquired we will need the help of expats traveling TO mexico, hand carrying them in for the school. I would like to start a list of helpful expats who would carry a computer down to Chelem and turn it in to Sandra of the Apoyo program. Also consider donating a computer if you have an extra in good working order.

Please donate to the cause if you can. Any amount will help, but there are three reward levels where I will be personally hand weaving beautiful jewelry as a thank you for the donation.

Fondly,

#2 sandgc

sandgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Not even one comment! I'd really like to ask you all to go to the link above and in the right upper corner click on "embed" and add to your facebook pages or share via twitter or email with the appropriate links. I need your help to help Chelem!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

#3 ELNIDO

ELNIDO

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

However, even though we are not there, we are committed to being part of the community and really want to help.

There are many, many charitable programs that the expat community already supports.
Organizations that are run by our friends, our neighbors, and people we know personally.
You can help by volunteering for and donating to them.

Sorry, but I don't know you and have no reason to trust you.
Therefore, I can't suggest any of my family and friends go to your site.

Please, think of what you're asking.
Complete strangers should send money to a complete stranger for a non-existent program?
And you wonder why no one is responding.

#4 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I have to agree. Almost every ex-pat that I know supports one or more charities. Work within the existing system, and I think you will make a bigger difference on the lives of the children of Chelem.

#5 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the tactful and reasonable reponses ElNido and Lippincott!

Like most folks we do have one particular charity that we contribute to with our time, vehicle, energy and money. If we decide to increase our charity spending it will be with the one we already support.

Driving Through Mexico

Ten years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#6 fishinisfun45

fishinisfun45

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hola,

My husband, Garrett, and I have met many wonderful people in the Progreso and Chelem area. ...

...When the money is raised and the computers are acquired we will need the help of expats traveling TO mexico, hand carrying them in for the school. I would like to start a list of helpful expats who would carry a computer down to Chelem and turn it in to Sandra of the Apoyo program. Also consider donating a computer if you have an extra in good working order.

Please donate to the cause if you can. Any amount will help, but there are three reward levels where I will be personally hand weaving beautiful jewelry as a thank you for the donation.

Fondly,

Sheri & Garrett Cecchini

What a wonderful idea.

For people muling down the laptops, remember that Aduana de Mexico requires you to pay duty on any more than one computer.

This means that you should print-out a formal page that shows the used price of the laptops and tablets/notebooks you are bringing, because without receipts showing actual prices, Aduana can charge you any duty they want to. The duties on the 2'nd laptop computer/notebook/tablet are 15%. If you are bringing in other non-personal duty-able items, Lippencott has found that giving the Aduana agent a copy of a spreadsheet page in Spanish showing each item, model numbers and serial numbers, with prices and a grand total helps her smoothly get through Mexican Customs. We are each allowed $300 total per person in dutiable goods on flights and $75 per person at the border: What Can I Bring into Mexico: Mexican Customs Rules - The Article

Bring 'em down !
steve

#7 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

It might be helpful to actually live here before you decide what a community is in need of, and ask people who do live here to support yet another charity.
The first rule of organizing on a community level is to find the person or persons who speak for the community. This does not necessarily mean the mayor. It could be one of the fishermen or the woman who runs a tienda. Then you ask them what the community need is and design from there.
Isn't there some need in your community that you could fill while you wait to move here? The desire to help others is evident from your original request, just needs to be closer to your present home.

#8 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

There already is an apoyo program in Chelem and they are working on computers for the school. Perhaps you could do as others have suggested and get hooked up with an existing program in the area.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#9 HenryVG

HenryVG

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

As Steve mentions, if you only bring one laptop, it's ok. More and you get into a hassle with Aduana. My wife and I found this out the hard way, bringing down 10 for the Telchac Education Program through Cancun. I got them free from our school and so was not about to pay the duty, preferring to just abandon them on the customs table, but the official caught me and explained that, even with my letter from the donating and receiving school, we still had a fee to pay, but that just leaving them would not get them to the students.
So we paid about $70USD and brought them over. Now, I just bring one each trip.
We like that program and the local school breakfast, Like folks have been saying, we needed to be around a bit before we knew how we can 'fit' with things.
Works for us...

OK, I really just wanted to get that "other" topic off the front page.

#10 sandgc

sandgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well, I thank you all for your replies, and I understand your concern. I also understand that lots of you already give to the community in many ways and sometimes there is only so much left for charity, like the Apoyo Program, Christmas in Chelem, and I'm sure many others.

However, I did start this program as it was the wish of Chelem's Apoyo Director to help get computers in the schools (I didn't just dream this up as a do-gooder from the north) but rather having dinner with her at her home there. So, if some of you are inclined to donate or help but just are fearful of "my" identity, please contact your local Apoyo Director, Sandra, as to my identity and the validity of what we are trying to do.

I'm not flying blind here, I understand perfectly the challenges of getting the computers down there and have accepted that as part of the challenge and have taken it into consideration in this endeavor.

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help, and hope to meet you next time we are back down!

Sheri

#11 Joanne

Joanne

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Sheri, it would have been so helpful if you had shared this information before. We know Sandra but did not know that your appeal was related to her Apoyo program in Chelem. We knew she was trying to get computers for schools and your appeal sounded like a totally different program.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS

https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447  Progreso

#12 sandgc

sandgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Joanne,

Thanks for the reply. I did mention Sandra in the original post, and in my excitement to get going on the program and spread the word did not elaborate as much as I should. I respect her so much for taking on the Apoyo Program as I am sure it is a very big commitment on her part, but so important for the children. Listening to her talk about taking children into merida to get eyeglasses for the first time so that they could actually "see" to do their schoolwork, among other things, really inspired me to help her. She has such a good heart. I wish i was there to help her more with this program. My husband and I have said, even before we met Sandra, how we would really like to be involved in sponsoring children and helping the schools any way we can. We will be sponsoring this year and pledge to sponsor every year. whether we are there yet or not. I'm actually going to try to get some corporate sponsorship also, but without being a nonprofit organization it will be more difficult than if there was a formal nonprofit formed. I was just hoping to get things rolling with some support from the community also. I have found a local (US) nonprofit that does work with children in the Yucatan and am trying to set up a meeting to learn about their program and how they might be able to help on this project.Perhaps they will become a "fiscal sponsor" so that donors will be able to take a tax deduction (US). It's not going to happen overnight but I am determined to see this through. Because Sandra and I are serious about raising money for more computers for the school, we were able to get a local internet provider to provide internet connection to the secondary school....so a small win!

I hope you are all having a wonderful day there! Thanks again, for taking the time to read and respond.

Sheri

#13 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

I saw a note on another forum that stated that a major donor to the Telchac Education program is withdrawing their support because due to the break-ins and petty thefts that are ongoing. (I wanted to post the note from Judy Abbott, but was not able to do a copy and paste to Yolisto). The donor appears to believe that the local beneficiaries of the program know who is responsible for the break-ins, but do not cooperate with the police.

Welcome to life in low income neighborhoods in the US folks: see no evil, hear no evil and stay alive.

It is not good news for the kids who will lose this support. However, I do not think that we can make the difference. 

"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#14 HenryVG

HenryVG

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

In that instance, I really am impressed with the level of support this donor has supplied over the years.

So many students have been touched by their generosity.  I hope they see some great results from that involvement in spite of the theft issues. 

I agree with the above. Many times it's prudent to not be observant in certain neighborhoods.

OK, I really just wanted to get that "other" topic off the front page.

#15 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

It is a shame the kids are losing their support. But if you are not part of the solution, your part of the problem and people need to speak up, as it effects them as well. That being said, decreasing the kids chances in the long run, will simply spawn more possible thieves. Seems like a lose lose situation to me.

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#16 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

I am confused. Hawk said they believe some of the beneficiaries of the program may have information. Are the computers being given to the students? The people who may know something are adults or children?

The computer program should be a separate issue from the robberies, and not linked to school support.

I worked in horribly poor neighborhoods in the mountains of Virginia. We had programs in place for at risk kids, low income kids, and after school programs. The town I was in was one of 3 communities that Oxycontin was distributed like candy when it first hit the market.

If we had to pull our support for children based on theft, murder, or the lack of corporation from the community, we would have been gone by the first day.

#17 pollypocket

pollypocket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hi--I've been looking at the different sponsorship programs and wondering how the Telchac program is doing. The website was last updated in 2013. Does anyone know?

#18 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

They have a facebook page, but it hasn't been updated since early in 2014. 

e-mail addresses are:

e-mail: telchaceducation@yahoo.com  or: editor@yucatantoday.com

#19 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

While not strictly a sponsorship program, one program doing good work is Proyecto Iztaes.

Here are some other articles about student-help programs:

Apoyo Program for Students in Progreso   contact Kitty through email at kbmorgan_99 [at] yahoo [dot] com and tell her you read about her on Yucatan Living

And the related college tuition program:

Progreso Apoyo CAPP Program

Mentions of student programs here:

Volunteering Opportunities in Yucatan  including students in Progreso, Cholul, and Telchac.

Hope some of those help you find what you are looking for. There are several great programs to chose from. Perhaps there are others with suggestions as well.

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#20 pollypocket

pollypocket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

great, thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users