22 replies to this topic

#1 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Does anyone know of a company of handy men who could fix up a rental house between tenants ?

I realize contractors wouldn´t normally bother with a lot of small repairs.  I am hoping, if

such a thing exists, to find one reliable company to handle most or all facets of

putting a house back in order in a short space of time: broken windows, dripping

faucets, cracked concrete, ec., ec, ec. 

If they could also deal with lawns, pools and painting, that´d be a gift from Heaven.

Perhaps that´s where I have to look to find such a company ? :)

Thanks !

#2 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Jorge Sosa at handyman@prodigy.net.mx did some work for us a few years ago.

Also found this: https://www.facebook...yucatan?fref=ts

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#3 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

I have not used this company, but their Handyman webpage is still active.  Are you in Merida to interview them?

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#4 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Does anyone know of a company of handy men who could fix up a rental house between tenants ?

I realize contractors wouldn´t normally bother with a lot of small repairs.  I am hoping, if

such a thing exists, to find one reliable company to handle most or all facets of

putting a house back in order in a short space of time: broken windows, dripping

faucets, cracked concrete, ec., ec, ec. 

If they could also deal with lawns, pools and painting, that´d be a gift from Heaven.

Perhaps that´s where I have to look to find such a company ? :)

Thanks !

It is the small space of time that will give issues, broken windows require aluminium guys, on their timetable. Cracked concrete requires time to fix properly. If you get my point. We can do all of the above except lawns, but it takes time.

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#5 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

I think that is what a good property manager does. The good property managers maintain a list of people who do whatever it takes to get the house back in shape for the next tenant to beat the crap out of it, certain tenants on Yolisto excluded.

#6 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

There are several people who are able to contract those services here at the beach, they manage properties. I can immediately think of 3 Canadians whom I would trust in a heartbeat to look after our house if we had to leave here for an extended period.  These people manage properties and have contacts with cleaning ladies, electricians, plumbers, glaziers and albaniles who will be able to fix the small problems. 

You really do not want a handyman jury rigging an electrical repair, you want an electrician, the same is true for all of the specialties. Whazzoo and his partner have all of the specialties on their speed dial, but their firm is most often involved in larger scale projects and not really geared towards rental turnover.  I am told that the firm does very good work for a fair price.

In my experience, dripping faucets often means that the screw holding the faucet washer in the seat has corroded away.

Just some observations.

"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#7 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

It is the small space of time that will give issues, broken windows require aluminium guys, on their timetable. Cracked concrete requires time to fix properly. If you get my point. We can do all of the above except lawns, but it takes time.

Whazzoo, I had no idea the firm you´re with would do small repairs !  I´m glad you mentioned that.  The important thing is,  we´d be looking at a matter of weeks, not months, to

paint up and patch up regular wear and tear, plus do maintainence  - right ?

#8 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for your thoughts people and for your info re Whazzoo´s people and Jorge Sosa !

#9 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Whazzoo, I had no idea the firm you´re with would do small repairs !  I´m glad you mentioned that.  The important thing is,  we´d be looking at a matter of weeks, not months, to

paint up and patch up regular wear and tear, plus do maintainence  - right ?

We can and have done smaller jobs but, it is all timing dependant. Obviously if all the crews are busy, other jobs have to wait until crews are free.  And concrete has to dry for a week or more before it can be painted and have it stick.  The other problem with smaller jobs is the cost to the customer.. For example you want a tap changed in the bathroom. Ok we send the plumber, he gets there and removes the tap and goes to put on the new one and finds he needs a different part. Now he needs to get to Boxito's get the part come back to the job. Or maybe he discovers something else that is going to be an issue and all that takes time. Don't forget, if it is a little larger like painting the walls and doing some patching. We have to go to your place look at the job and give you a quote. That takes our time and fuel etc. So when you add it all up smaller jobs end up costing more.   Going back to the Tap example say we lose the plumber for 1/2 a day at your house. But then he has to get to the next job which maybe at the beach and either hops the bus or if we are in town catches a ride back by the time that happens he won't have time to really do anything else. So when you get a bill for 500 pesos. you will know why.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

#10 lizard

lizard

Lizard

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Any have the number for Senior Ero???? He is a master of all

Plumero

Carpentero

Palapero

BBQ Master for Lizard Joes AY AY AY!!!
www.lizardjoes.com
http://www.facebook.com/lizardjoes

#11 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Oh, yes, I´m in Merida to interview people.  Lizard, Senior Ero sounds like a good contact !

#12 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

By the way, is it common that workers will require property owners to provide living accomodation when working on small projects in Merida  ?

#13 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

It depends on who you hire. If you hire a contractor for a small project (what is small? let's say two days?), then the contractor should transport his workers.  If you hire an independent worker yourself from a village outside of Merida, it would be kind of you to allow them to stay until the project is finished, depending on what they want to do.  There's an in-between ground for small "bosses" from small villages who may organize a few workers for you, but not have the means to haul them around daily.

What makes your request different is that you say small projects. How small?

When building a house or remodeling with more than a couple workers over a longer period of time, it is fairly common for workers to stay in the project during the week and return to their village on the weekend.  Again, however, it depends on your contractor.  The advantage of having someone stay at a big project is that there are people there 24 hours a day to look over things while the house may be relatively unsecured.

#14 PaulBe

PaulBe

Super Advanced

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Let´s say the job is for a week., CasiYucateco.  I´ve wondered about hosting workers too.

#15 wpcoe

wpcoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

For a long job would it be customary to "host" the workers if the homeowner and family were in residence, or would it be more common in that case to find an inexpensive hotel for them?

My friend totally gutted and redid his home in Centro, and the workers stayed on site for the duration.  His intermediary, a feisty local Yucatera, taunted them about being behind schedule: "If you guys take much longer, we'll have to start charging you rent!"  They weren't sure if she was serious or not.  :lol:

#16 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

It is very common for workers to stay on a project of a week or more. For example most of our guys come from the village of Seye. It takes an hour or more for them just to get to Merida and then another hour to get to the beach. They would have to leave by 6 am just to get here on time. And then not get back home till 8 or later. Like someone else pointed out, your getting security guards at night for free

General Contractors

999-273-0840

#17 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

In my opinion, living in a house that has a major project ongoing is practically impossible for an owner and family. The cement dust gets into everything. Even twice daily attempts at cleaning leave you with grit in your teeth and clothes and sheets despite plastic tarps and closed doors.

Personally, I'd stay in the hotel, or with friends, and let the workers stay in the house.

#18 Hailey

Hailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

I was thinking more of a house I´m living in, as I´d just be having small jobs done.  But I appreciate all the feedback !

#19 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

For small repairs (broken window glass, torn screen, small carpentry repairs, small welding jobs), the services are readily available with Merida businesses and no one needs to be staying overnight.

Staying during the week is primarily for construction jobs where the workers come from out of town, from the villages around Merida.

#20 wpcoe

wpcoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

In my opinion, living in a house that has a major project ongoing is practically impossible for an owner and family. The cement dust gets into everything. Even twice daily attempts at cleaning leave you with grit in your teeth and clothes and sheets despite plastic tarps and closed doors.

Personally, I'd stay in the hotel, or with friends, and let the workers stay in the house.

Point taken.  I had a project done in a condo to cut into the render/red brick walls to conceal the previously-on-the-surface electrical wiring in PVC tubes, and the process of slicing into the wall was not only very noisy, dust got *everywhere*.  Luckily most of the furniture from the room was out in the hallway.  It was all over on a single day, but if it were part of a multi-day project, I think I'd prefer not to have been there at the time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Repairs, painting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users