49 replies to this topic

#41 lencho

lencho

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

you don't have to buy it from Monsanto today... as CasiYucateco says, its already here - been here for years. This article is from twelve years ago.

================

This is disquieting, especially considering that if that imported corn contains "terminator genes," it could render cross-pollinated native varieties sterile. (?)

#42 YolistoKhaki

YolistoKhaki

Veteran

• Administrators
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

================

This is disquieting, especially considering that if that imported corn contains "terminator genes," it could render cross-pollinated native varieties sterile. (?)

Ohhh don't worry about that (they say)... well - we'd better worry... sooner or later one variety will win, worldwide... and, when that happens, the next big event will be when a disease evolves that kills only that one variety... is it too late to close the barn door? probably... but cultures like the Maya are still caring for native seeds... I don't know how long they can hold on... but there are elaborate measures in place in the interior of the state... small, but alive.

#43 RogerL

RogerL

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

I am an American who is hoping to move to the Yucatan in the next few years.  I have been an organic gardener my entire adult life.  

I am curious about the vegetable growing season in the area.  I have vacationed down there at the end of August, and I know the vegetables that I had in my garden back home in August probably would not have survived the temps in Mexico at that time.

When do you typically plant and harvest?  

#44 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

If you are near the beach, there is no growing season. Many have attempted to grow vegetables but it s difficult. Too hot. Too dry, soil is poor, etc.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#45 seeking

seeking

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

I think Randy at natural thangs is having sucess with his garden at the beach. Anything is possible with good soil, water and protection from sun and wind. I'm sure he'd be happy to share a few tips. Best of luck!

Sara

#46 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

Randy would be a good resource. He is probably about 1/2 mile from the beach which can make a big difference in growing things. But I don't think he grows vegetables.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#47 seeking

seeking

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Maybe things changed but a few months ago he had a beautiful garden that was doing really well. He was adding more, but at the time had green beans, tomatoes, salad greens and corn, that I recall. I would think using his methods you could have a garden behind your house of you were right on the Beach... The Key would be wind protection and soil. I bet critters would be an issue also.

Sara

#48 JTHIII

JTHIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Check out this facebook site: YAG-Yucatan Association of Gardeners. Also this might interest you:

#49 JTHIII

JTHIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

Sorry. It didn't show the second internet address.

Oh, well!

#50 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

I am an American who is hoping to move to the Yucatan in the next few years.  I have been an organic gardener my entire adult life.  

I am curious about the vegetable growing season in the area.  I have vacationed down there at the end of August, and I know the vegetables that I had in my garden back home in August probably would not have survived the temps in Mexico at that time.

When do you typically plant and harvest?  

To get an idea of what grows when -- check out this site

This is a ''garden calendar'', and the link is to USDA zone 11B, sourthernmost Florida.  The climate is similar to Yucatan, with the caveat that it is HOTTER hear, and the late dry season (now through May) is frequently accompanied by strong, dry winds, which make things difficult for plants.  As a rule of thumb, the calendar Spring (March-May) is NOT a good time to plant, as the weather is just too hot/dry for seedlings (or for cool weather crops, like peas, lettuce, etc.).  You might talk to the folks at Colectivo Milpa (they have a Facebook page), for tips on organic gardening in Yucatan.  At least one of the guys there speaks English fluently, if language is an issue. 

As others have said, the coast presents special problems, but most serious gardeners here need to invest in sun protection and irrigation of some sort.  And, of course, soil is another issue -- again, many gardeners use some sort of raised bed system, relying heavily on compost to create a good, organic-rich soil. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users