37 replies to this topic

#1 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Last Friday my wife and I as well as two of my friends went to Pulpo Loco and had lunch there.

We were served one at the time, 20 minutes between each one of us, plates cold as if put in the fridge. I ordered Nachos they served it on top of Cheez Whiz, no more than a spoon of frioles!! The worst Nachos I've ever seen.

I promised myself I'd never eat there again.

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#2 VivianePB

VivianePB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

Oddly enough, some French person (Celia3264) thinks it's the best:
http://voyageforum.c...nclus-d6858481/

But this Spanish speaker agrees with you:

http://www.tripadvis..._Peninsula.html

#3 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Jardinero...we tried Pulpo Loco a couple of times recently....The service totally sucked...We won't be returning. We were there for breakfast on Monday...they don't really have a breakfast menu but they would be happy to make us ham and cheese omelettes with mushrooms..COOL that sounded OK..and they were OK, but kinda on the coolish side when delivered.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#4 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

Oddly enough, some French person (Celia3264) thinks it's the best:
http://voyageforum.c...nclus-d6858481/

But this Spanish speaker agrees with you:

http://www.tripadvis..._Peninsula.html

____

I read the Mexican's review and it's even worse than what I have to say.

The French who ate there were a couple on a Sunday and were alone in the restaurant. Not all French would share the same point de vue even less French Canadians like us.

The only positive thing was that the toilets were clean when I used them.

Even the waiter couldn't figure out why they were using Cheez Whiz in their nachos when the price of excellent Mexican cheese is so low! For Mexican, Cheez Whiz isn't cheese and I can understand them. The next time you go at Chedraui for example, take a look at the Cheez Whiz jars. The colour of the cheese clearly indicates it past the expired date. Here's a photo showing what I mean.

Cheez%20Whiz%202_zps22g4zoqt.jpg

#5 VivianePB

VivianePB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:27 PM

Ugh. I can't even look at that picture.

#6 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

Quark the Ferengi (Deep Space 9) would have said: "Only Umans can eat that yellow paste space ship lubricant and survive".

Divorced or separated Mexicans usually talk about Cheez Whiz in these terms: "My wife left me. Cheez whiz someone else".

#7 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

I loves me some cheez whiz

but it shouldn't be the main ingredient 

#8 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

I loves me some cheez whiz

but it shouldn't be the main ingredient 

___

I sorta think the same way about Duck Tape. LOL

#9 whazzoo

whazzoo

Genius naturally

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

____

The colour of the cheese clearly indicates it past the expired date. Here's a photo showing what I mean.

-----------------

Expiry date? It is an edible oil product, if the pharaohs had made it, it would still be good on the shelf, a little worse for wear, but good none the less.  Don't let 100 degrees on the shelf bother you, nah not an issue ( BARF)

Aerocretos de Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V.

General Contractors

999-273-0840

www.aerocretosdemexico.com 

#10 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

I don't think there really is any cheese inside a jar of Cheez Whiz anymore. Neither here in Mexico nor NOB.

And I honestly can't remember the last time we bought Cheez Whiz anywhere. If we want cheese we buy cheese, if we want a "meltable" cheese we buy Mozza or Manchego. (Kinda the same to us) 

The "orangey" colour of the Cheez Whiz product in Mexico has always been the same for many years. I don't think it has to do with expiry dates, just an altered formulation to visually appeal to Mexican buyers?

Driving Through Mexico

#11 VivianePB

VivianePB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

The "orangey" colour of the Cheez Whiz product in Mexico has always been the same for many years. I don't think it has to do with expiry dates, just an altered formulation to visually appeal to Mexican buyers?

Could be. Makes it seem less bland, more picante.

#12 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

I understand that Cheez Whiz is a special favorite in the Philadelphia area on the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. I think that might be why my preference has been for a Chicago style Italian Beef sandwich dunked.

"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#13 jiminchelem

jiminchelem

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

roast beef dip ummmmmm........ (Boston has it)

#14 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

In two weeks I will be loving an Arby's roast beef sandwich (or two!!!) with their signature sauce!!! I don't care if they are healthy or not....they taste GOOOOOOD!!! (And , yes,, I will have to drive over 30 miles to get to them, but they are worth it!!!)

Driving Through Mexico

#15 YucatanStarTours

YucatanStarTours

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Well it is good to have your review. Trip advisor has sunk to new lows and most people don't realize you can buy reviews and there are very dubious practices to manipulate the info. If you look at most large hotel reviews you will see some very local faces writing reviews and turns out they work there. Nowadays a personal review is much better.

#16 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

Kraft Cheez Whiz used to taste good when it was actually made with cheese - or maybe I am just getting more selective in my old age???? It's been a really long time since I've had a jar of Cheez Whiz in my shopping cart - I guess there are more and better choices IMHO. And Cheez Whiz in Mexico has always been a "different" colour than NOB.

#17 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

I sent an email to Kraft Foods about Cheez Whiz and this their response:

The product you are inquiring about is manufactured by Mondelez Global Inc.

Please note that Mondelez Global Inc. is not a part of Kraft Foods.

#18 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia....z_International

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#19 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

This was so confusing to me, because I remembered the jars of Cheez Whiz with KRAFT on the label.  But Chuck's post helped sort it out. Mondelez did have Kraft at one time as a part of their huge conglomerate.  But in 2011/12, Kraft was spun off on it's own again.  Mondelez kept the snack foods.  I'm not sure what the "high margin North American grocery business" is comprised of...?  This write-up is fairly confusing:

In August 2011, Kraft Foods Inc announced plans to split into two publicly traded companies—a snack food company and a grocery company.[45]The intention was to create two independent public companies: Mondelez kept the high-growth global snacks business with estimated revenue of approximately $32 billion and Kraft Foods Group took the high-margin North American grocery business with estimated revenue of approximately $16 billion. The company arranged the split of the companies as a tax-free spin-off of the North American grocery business to Kraft Foods Inc shareholders.[46]

In October 2012, Kraft Foods Inc changed its name to Mondelēz International. Shortly thereafter it spun off the Kraft Foods Group to its shareholders.

The write-up under Kraft Foods is slightly less confusing:

The company was formed in 2012 as a spin off from Kraft Foods Inc., which in turn was renamed Mondelēz International. The new Kraft Foods Group is focused mainly on grocery products for the North American market, while Mondelēz is an international distributor of Kraft Foods snacks and confectionery brands. Kraft Foods Group is an independent public company; it is listed on the NASDAQ tock exchange.

On March 25, 2015, the company announced its merger with Heinz, arranged by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital.[6][7] If the merger proceeds, the resulting Kraft Heinz Company is expected to be the fifth largest food company in the world.[8]

Reading through the whole thing is dizzying. 

Apparently, Mondelez kept Cheez Whiz because that is a "snack food", but Kraft Foods kept Velveeta because that is a "grocery product."  Go figure. :D

Still confused, because the internet abounds with KRAFT Cheez Whiz, including places that have it for sale. So, maybe Mondelez owns the right to use the "Kraft" name on their products?  Or the whole thing is a big paperwork shuffle that somehow enables them to cut their taxes (splitting into "international" and "North American markets"?)  Who knows?   

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#20 dugin

dugin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

Interestingly, according to the Kraft/Cheez Whiz web site, the coloring comes from paprika and annatto -- annatto of course is the seasoning/coloring that comes from the seeds of the achiote tree ((Bixa orellana) which is a native and endemic plant to Yucatan, and  common throughout the peninsula.  If that makes you feel any better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users