37 replies to this topic

#21 judy

judy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Velveeta used to say a"cheese like food product" I always thought it should read a "food like cheese product" as that was about it's level on the food chain.

#22 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

At least I always thought Velveeta was one step up from Cheez Whiz on the food-like products food chain. :D

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#23 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Velveeta used to say a"cheese like food product" I always thought it should read a "food like cheese product" as that was about it's level on the food chain.

Judy - it appears as though there is no actual cheese in Cheez Whiz, so "cheese like" is as close as we get!!!

Loved Velveeta as a kid but haven't bought any in recent memory (actually my memory may be suspect now) More in to aged cheddar and other "interesting" cheeses  - probably just getting fussy in my old age.

#24 iowahawkeye

iowahawkeye

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

Better be careful when you write "moved into aged cheddar and other "interesting" cheeses" and mean cheese made in the Americas. Adam the Frog is liable to reappear and tell us once again that we in the Americas produce no edible cheeses....

"facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams

#25 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

The main difference between North American Cheese and European Cheese (France's cheese for example) was related to the pasteurization of the milk used for cheese processing. Until recently, unpasteurized milk (raw milk) wasn't allowed even if the eliminated bacteria, microbes and germs were known for the flavor and aromas they gave to cheese. In our province (Quebec), which was a major exporter of Chedar cheese to England, producers invited French cheese makers to come and help the resolve the issue. They proposed a thermisation (low temperature sterilization) process instead of pasteurization which preserved all the main qualities of raw milk.

This process is currently used all across North America including Mexico resulting in the fabrication of very high quality cheese winning international awards against the French. So Adam the Frog can just go back to the drawing board and see what going on nowadays. LOL

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#26 SirVeza

SirVeza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

To be fair to Pulpo Loco,last Friday was during Pasqua. The population went from 54k to 200k, so I was told. Every restaurant owner I talked to was short handed, cooks and waitstaff not showing up. I didn't eat out at all, too hectic and busy. I did have a few beers at Pulpo Loco, the waiters were running like crazy taking care of a lot of customers on the beach. As they passed me in the cafe, always ask if things were ok. A man that has lived here 8 years told me the food is very good here. I plan on trying it soon, the botanas are good. I hope your complaint was expressed to Memo as it is best to relay it to the business so it can be corrected. I have quit ordering nachos, because I haven't found any place that has them to my liking. Anyway, I'll bet there were a lot of complaints on most of the beach restaurants during the last 2 weeks, they were swamped.

#27 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

Sorry but last Friday at Pulpo Loco (we were there from10:00 AM to 3:00 PM) there no more than 3 tables inside and 5 palapas with clients and 5 waiters waiting for the 3 cooks to bring them the food. In other words no more than 30-40 people during those 5 hours.

Serving cold plates such as nachos are unacceptable and simply means those cooks don't know how to manage their stations.

Maybe I should change my nick to Gordonero (Ramsey) instead of Jardinero. LOL

#28 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

Sir Veza....After frequenting Pulpo Loco on 5 or 6 different occasions, always with 10+ friends, BEFORE and during Semana Santa....We never observed any server "running" anywhere...Mostly they just stood around talking to each other and seemingly wondering why they were there in the first place. And yes Memo, the manager, was informed several times that he needed to light a fire under his servers. After those visits and experiences, I think Pulpo Loco is off the list as a place to go for at least a dozen potential "local" patrons.

And, no, Jardinero was not in attendance at any time that we were, so his totally separate experience just reinforces our own experience.

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#29 lippincottfarm

lippincottfarm

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

Adam the Frog is back in England.  He sold some items on Facebook, and said he was no longer living in Mexico.

#30 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

Sorry but last Friday at Pulpo Loco (we were there from10:00 AM to 3:00 PM) there no more than 3 tables inside and 5 palapas with clients and 5 waiters waiting for the 3 cooks to bring them the food. In other words no more than 30-40 people during those 5 hours

===========

It was so bad and you stayed for 5 hours!

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#31 doble

doble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

Adam the Frog is back in England.  He sold some items on Facebook, and said he was no longer living in Mexico.

I guess that he couldn't stand staying away from that yummy English cuisine :P  ;)  If it wasn't for the Greeks, Italians, French and East Indians, (excepting English fish and chips), there would be no edible English food. (My English relatives totally agree!!)

#32 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

===========

___

The meal lasted 2 hours given the time it took them to cook and serve the four of us. After, we were at the beach under a palapa. As you probably know, if you eat at a restaurent where they have palapas, they let you use the palapa after the meal and won't annoy you the rest of the time. It's the least they could have done.

#33 PennsyAl

PennsyAl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

I understand that Cheez Whiz is a special favorite in the Philadelphia area on the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. I think that might be why my preference has been for a Chicago style Italian Beef sandwich dunked.

I was ready to get on my high horse in astonished outrage at what seemed to be a horrible assault on the reputation of Philadelphia -- cheez whiz on a Philly cheese steak! -- until I came across this tidbit: http://www.food.com/...authentic-94031  

Now, I confess that I never ate a Philly cheese steak. From my pre-Orthodox Jewish days I confess to downing a number of real Philly steaks hoagies, with real Italian rolls and cooked onions. I did observe, as I waited, many folks woofing down cheesteaks topped off with provolone or even mozzarella fresh cheese (melted in the cooking) from Italian-run shops along Henry Avenue in Roxborough.  So my memories coincide with the writer's (see url) reference to classic steaks.  As for Pat's (original and who-knows-what) and Gino's in S. Philly, hey, what you have down there are non-Italian-American tourists (most non-assimilated Italian-Americans moved to Delaware county or S. Jersey decades ago).  I think there are more Spanish speaking folks, and even more folks from Asia, than true sons and daughters of Italy down there.

Well, I guess cheez wiz on an ersatz Philly cheese steak offends me less than a Reuben sandwich at a so-called Jewish-"style" deli.   All of which are subjects far removed from the Mérida restaurant scene. 

#34 FrostyMug

FrostyMug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:24 AM

Cheez Whiz in Mexico has always been a "different" colour than NOB.

Please, what does "NOB" stand for it mean?

Thanks
Here today...gone tomorrow!!!

#35 FrostyMug

FrostyMug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

Where exactly is this restaurant please?
Here today...gone tomorrow!!!

#36 CasiYucateco

CasiYucateco

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

NOB = North of the Border.

And welcome to YoListo! :D

{ Banner Free since 1978 }

#37 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

Where exactly is this restaurant please?

===

If you are referring to Pulpo Local, it is on the malecon, but I think it has different owners since 2015

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

#38 Sparky123

Sparky123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

===========

My Thoughts exactly :rolleyes: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users