Border Crossing Brownsville TX Dangers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hello Everyone, Has anyone heard of any new dangers regarding border crossings into Mexico from Brownsville since the big Drug cartel busts. I have heard numerous warnings regarding Americans crossing or visiting Mexico this month. Is there any truth or new dangers to be aware of? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. I realize all the precautions that one should take when driving into Mexico, but any truth to the new danger warnings issued by the American Govt? I will be crossing in Brownsville and driving to Chelem at the end of March.Thanks for the help.

#2 Noncon

Noncon

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

I think a lot of the warnings about Mexico are blown out of proportion but that said, the border does see a lot of violence. I think most of it though is between the rival cartels. The violence can lead to innocents being hurt but this seems to be the exception more than the rule.

We crossed in Brownsville in September and had absolutely no problems, except getting slightly lost in Matamoros (we missed a turn but asked directions and got back on our way in minutes). We crossed the border fairly early and put as many miles between us and the border as we could before stopping for the night in Tampico. Our entire drive down was uneventful except for the occassional wrong turn.

#3 LegalBlonde

LegalBlonde

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

I agree with Noncom. Come across the border early in the day and stay the night at somewhere far from it. We came across last June and the only scary things on the drive down were the huge trucks on the narrow roads. We felt safe when we stopped at nights and the people we met in the hotels couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful

#4 hooshootoo

hooshootoo

• Administrators
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

This is the point at which I begin foaming at the mouth and screaming to the four winds! I was AT the border less than 2 weeks ago... standing IN Matamoros MYself !!! ...and I am here to tell ANYbody that all was well... there was NO blood running in the streets... NO bullets flying... just an ordinary day with tons of Americans and Canadians crossing the border to enjoy both long and short visits to Mexico. I don't know WHY the media makes all of Mexico and all of the border out to be locked in the clutches of a deadly "war"... but that is SO not true!!! I am a little old grandmother of 3... and my old dawg and I cross that border without giving it a second thought... in fact, it is a relief to get INTO Mexico - considering the gun and drug violence (and serial killers) to be found north of the border... Please - don't listen to those headlines... come on down and see for yourself... we promise that all will be well.

#5 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Gotta agree with all the above posters. Enter Mexico as early as you can in the morning and get out of, in your case, Matamoros. No blood, no hassles, no bullets!!!

If you have never done the drive down before, you might be interested in a website I created that describes the trip with, hopefully, some useful suggestions.

http://www.quadro.ne...nsville-Merida/

#6 txjen

txjen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

When are you planning on traveling down? My husband and i are also driving down next week- planning on crossing border on Thursday- the 26th? do you have driving directions? Are you taking toll ways etc? How about those hotels with garages have you heard of them/ Any help would be appreciated!!1
jennifer houston

• Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

You may find my post under "Driving to Merida" useful. I had no issues at all with local police or military along the whole journey.

• Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

There are three crossings at Brownsville. Use the one at the end of the interstate as there is very little foot traffic. Also, Tampico is a good first night but I think Victoria is better as the roads are better that way. I have gone both ways and have had better traveling through Victoria. If you're in an RV there is a nice RV park in Victoria as well.

GC

#9 Papaw007

Papaw007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

I used Dave's driving directions when we came down in September. They are VERY good and got us all the way here with no problems. We never felt nervous or threatened at any point during our trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users