Photo

Can You Drive A Car Not Registered To You?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anastasia52

Anastasia52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

I have heard 2 opposing statements:  1)  No one may drive a car registered and insured to me unless it is a family member.  2)  Anyone can drive a car registered and insured to me as long as I give my permission.  Could it possibly be as simple as asking which statement is correct?  Thanks.

#2 Dave_in_Ont

Dave_in_Ont

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

It depends...is the car a foreign plated car in Mexico on a temporary import permit or is it a Mexican plated car?

If it is a "TIP" car then #1 is correct, but others may drive it as long as you are in the car at the time.

If it is a Mexican plated car, anyone can drive it.

(Those are the rules as far as I know)

Driving Through Mexico

Eleven years snow free, and still counting on my luck!!!

#3 Anastasia52

Anastasia52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thank you.  That totally makes sense

#4 ELNIDO

ELNIDO

Veteran

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

Good Article ...

https://www.mexpro.c...censed-vehicles

#5 Jardinero

Jardinero

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

It depends...is the car a foreign plated car in Mexico on a temporary import permit or is it a Mexican plated car?

If it is a "TIP" car then #1 is correct, but others may drive it as long as you are in the car at the time.

If it is a Mexican plated car, anyone can drive it.

(Those are the rules as far as I know)

____

I believe that the car insurance must cover other drivers and not only the owner otherwise you become a Mexican redneck driver (LOL).

My wife is an angel! "Lucky you", said my boss, "mine is still alive"

#6 fred

fred

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I am new to the group--my wife and I rented a small studio in early jan of this yr (2017) we are only here on a limited basis  as I have heart issues and can not travel as much as we once did--I have to go back home US and get further directions on my heart issue--here is my question??  we signed a 1 yr rental agreement for this studio jan 11 2017, and paid  6 months up front and the contract says we will pay on a month to month basis starting the 7 month  --as we/I  will not be able (physically) to come back to Mexico after we leave in a few days,, is there a way that I can give this landlord a 30 day notice of intent to vacate the property and would this be within Mexican law?? would someone  give me their thoughts on this issue --Fred   

#7 ChuckD

ChuckD

Trivia Hall of Famer

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:25 AM

Fred, that should be stipulated in your contract. Our "opinions" hardly matter. One one hand it's a legal issue, the other is a moral issue. How do you feel about walking out on a contract you signed? You may also have received a discount on the rent by signing a year contract. You may owe some back rent for terminating early.

OASIS DEL MAR VACATION RENTALS
https://www.homeaway...-rental/p212447 Progreso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users